Why doesn't Tyrion warn Dany about Theon's Reputation?

While considering Tyrion's hating on first Jorah, and the Daario, it occurred to me, no word on Theon? His reputation, outside of Sansa, is pretty wretched. I don't imagine Jon or Bran will be happy to see him again. Why not leave him with Daario to lead the Mereen navy or some such. Does he not mind him along because he's not able to be a romantic rival? I've always thought his reasons for leaving Daario behind was weak. If you have three Dragons, your the most eligible bachelorette in westros, period.

I think Tyrion has always shown himself as a person who is good at reading people and their intentions, as well as being a good judge of another's character. Take that and combine with whatever info he may glean from them or others (keep in mind he has Varys by his side for fresh news from abroad), and I think we can safely assume Tyrion knows Theon has changed.

On 2016年7月10日 at 2:19 AM, KingInTheBay said:

While considering Tyrion's hating on first Jorah, and the Daario, it occurred to me, no word on Theon? His reputation, outside of Sansa, is pretty wretched. I don't imagine Jon or Bran will be happy to see him again. Why not leave him with Daario to lead the Mereen navy or some such. Does he not mind him along because he's not able to be a romantic rival? I've always thought his reasons for leaving Daario behind was weak. If you have three Dragons, your the most eligible bachelorette in westros, period.

Until Theon betrayed Robb and took Winterfell at his father's behest, he wasn't really viewed as a bad guy. Arrogant and cocky (less "cocky" now, har!), sure, with maybe a slight mean streak, not to mention a known womanizer, but nothing downright evil. 

Tyrion did bring up Theon murdering the Stark boys, which Theon denied, although he said he did some equally horrible things. Most likely, Tyrion did tell Dany about the Greyjoys taking Winterfell as he was brining her up to speed on the going-ons of Westeros. But now that they have the culprit right there in front of them to answer for his crimes, it's up to them to judge if he's telling the truth or not. 

The truth is, it was never Theon's idea to betray the Starks, a detail that is implicitly acknowledged when Dany makes the comment that "All three of our fathers were evil men." Whether or not Tyrion was aware of this is up to debate, but given Balon Greyjoy's reputation and the way Theon is acting now, it should be a rather believable if Theon explains what really happened at Winterfell.

2 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Until Theon betrayed Robb and took Winterfell at his father's behest, he wasn't really viewed as a bad guy. Arrogant and cocky (less "cocky" now, har!), sure, with maybe a slight mean streak, but nothing too horrible. 

Tyrion did bring up Theon murdering the Stark boys, which Theon denied, although he said he did some equally horrible things. Most likely, Tyrion did tell Dany about the Greyjiys taking Winterfell as he was brining her up to speed on the going-ons of Westeros. But now that they have the culprit right there in front of them to answer for his crimes, it's up to them to judge if he's telling the truth or not. 

The truth is, it was never Theon's idea to betray the Starks, a detail that is implicitly acknowledge when Dany makes the comment that "All three of our fathers were evil men." Whether or not Tyrion was aware of this is up to debate, but given Balon Greyjoy's reputation and the way Theon is acting now, it should be a rather believable if Theon explains what really happened at Winterfell.

Still, Theon behaved like an absolute fucker when he took Winterfell, and nothing less.

5 hours ago, Sophie of House Stark said:

Still, Theon behaved like an absolute fucker when he took Winterfell, and nothing less.

Very true, and the essence of that betrayal was against the first KiTN since the King who knelt. Tyrion must know all the 'north remembers stuff'. Seems Theon along would be a far greater hindrance than Daario

5 hours ago, Travis said:

Dany trusted Tyrion enough to make him the second most powerful person. Her right-hand man. She trusts his judgment for a reason. He will deal wisely with Theon. Theon will die, but it will most likely be in defense of Dany's cause and ultimately to save his sister's life.

I agree.  Theon can redeem himself by serving Dany loyally. 

Great conversation.

I believe Jon Snow would have Theon executed on sight (even though he already knows Theon didn't kill Bran or Rickon), and rightly so.

Who knows, though, maybe he'll just banish Theon, like he did Melisandre, and that will be that.  (In my opinion, Jon's decision to banish Mel was foolish.  I felt Jon should have either executed her, or used her as an asset against the White Walker crew and THEN executed her.  The burning of Shireen was one of the most reprehensible things I've seen in all of ASOIAF, and that's saying a LOT.  Indeed, I believe it would have been far more realistic and true to Davos' character if Davos had killed her with his bare hands before even bothering to tell Jon what she had done)

If we look who will be burdened on Dany in Westeros then Tyrion himself is the biggest. He is kinslyer and kingslyer there is no one in Westeros who like him. After Tyrion come Varys, spymaster loved by no one by his words. Theon is minor concern compared to those two.

48 minutes ago, Cragen said:

If we look who will be burdened on Dany in Westeros then Tyrion himself is the biggest. He is kinslyer and kingslyer there is no one in Westeros who like him. After Tyrion come Varys, spymaster loved by no one by his words. Theon is minor concern compared to those two.

He's unpopular with the Lannister approved history but then again that same history will paint Dany herself as an inbred lunatic. It would e pretty easy to paint him as the alternative though given his opposition to the rest of his family, especially as Cersei's rule is likely to be very unpopular and Joffery is already viewed in a negative fashion by a lot of people.

The question with Theon is much more his personal morality and competence which Tyrion does bring up but ultimately its not Theon there doing a deal with its Yara.

Well, it a long ride from Meereen to Westeros, and they have all the off-screen time together to discuss about these matters. I am pretty sure that Tyrion is aware of Theon's situation, through Varys's network. Of course there can be no trust, but tolerance for the time being will do fine. In the event though Theon and any of the Stark members accuse him for the taking of Winterfell and the other crimes he committed, that is a different story that can be brought forward so that the wronged party can seek justice or retribution. In my opinion, due to the fragility of alliances, Theon will take the Black, as the NW can be for Theon a perfect combination of salvation and punishment. I would like to refer about the credibility of Varys and Tyrion on other post.

11 hours ago, KingInTheBay said:

Very true, and the essence of that betrayal was against the first KiTN since the King who knelt. Tyrion must know all the 'north remembers stuff'. Seems Theon along would be a far greater hindrance than Daario

Agreed -- I can't see Theon being much use to Dany at all. Sure, they need the ships, but Tyrion had a responsibility to be much more vocal and condemning about Theon's crimes and misdemeanours. The show's rhetoric seems to be very much in the line of "poor old cockless Theon" at the moment, which doesn't sit very well with me.

I'm in no doubt that he has "changed" and paid the price for what he's done, but it's very unlike cynical and shrewd Tyrion to be so quick to believe he's turned himself around. It's no secret that Tyrion has a lot of respect for the Starks and is sincerely sorry for everything they have been through -- horrors which Theon had a significant role in.

3 hours ago, The Dew said:

Well, it a long ride from Meereen to Westeros, and they have all the off-screen time together to discuss about these matters. I am pretty sure that Tyrion is aware of Theon's situation, through Varys's network. Of course there can be no trust, but tolerance for the time being will do fine. In the event though Theon and any of the Stark members accuse him for the taking of Winterfell and the other crimes he committed, that is a different story that can be brought forward so that the wronged party can seek justice or retribution. In my opinion, due to the fragility of alliances, Theon will take the Black, as the NW can be for Theon a perfect combination of salvation and punishment. I would like to refer about the credibility of Varys and Tyrion on other post.

This is interesting. As the former LC, no matter Jon's personal feelings, he would probably let Theon take the black in redemption, especially considering how they need men. Theon with DelorusEdd when the walkers hit the wall would be a good plot twist. Theon needs to do something on his own to redeem himself, ferrying troops for his sister and Dany only goes so far.

31 minutes ago, KingInTheBay said:

This is interesting. As the former LC, no matter Jon's personal feelings, he would probably let Theon take the black in redemption, especially considering how they need men. Theon with DelorusEdd when the walkers hit the wall would be a good plot twist. Theon needs to do something on his own to redeem himself, ferrying troops for his sister and Dany only goes so far.

It would be magnanimous for Jon to send him to the Wall, they need all available hands. I agree with you that Theon needs to redeem himself, his moral duties are for the Starks and the wrongs he has committed to them! I'd love to see a scene with Edd and Theon wlaking atop the wall and Theon confessing to him as well.

On 7/9/2016 at 11:19 AM, KingInTheBay said:

I think tyrion knows theon is pretty harmless. His taking of winterfell was a complete joke.

But I have to disagree with you about his reasons for leaving daario.. dany is a female. If she happened to have a bastard child with daario, every body would witness it. It would be very shameful, and the people might revolt. Plus any noble man who marries a woman wants her children to definitely 100% be his. I guess you could argue that she could use moon tea to make sure she doesn't have daarios child, but she is trying to impress the people of westeros. Her father had a horrible reputation, she has to show them she is better than aerys, and bringing along her lover from essos is a step in the wrong direction. She needs to prove her loyalty to the westerosi by marrying one of them. She could try to keep him secret, but somebody would eventually find out.

Like I said, Dany wants to be a good leader, not a leader who uses her power to do whatever she wants. She takes her leadership seriously, therefore, she made the right choice. 

5 minutes ago, brightflame princess said:

I think tyrion knows theon is pretty harmless. His taking of winterfell was a complete joke.

But I have to disagree with you about his reasons for leaving daario.. dany is a female. If she happened to have a bastard child with daario, every body would witness it. It would be very shameful, and the people might revolt. Plus any noble man who marries a woman wants her children to definitely 100% be his. I guess you could argue that she could use moon tea to make sure she doesn't have daarios child, but she is trying to impress the people of westeros. Her father had a horrible reputation, she has to show them she is better than aerys, and bringing along her lover from essos is a step in the wrong direction. She needs to prove her loyalty to the westerosi by marrying one of them. She could try to keep him secret, but somebody would eventually find out.

Like I said, Dany wants to be a good leader, not a leader who uses her power to do whatever she wants. She takes her leadership seriously, therefore, she made the right choice. 

Dany can't have children. Also, I didn't say Daario wouldn't be somewhat detrimental, just no where near as harmful as having Theon along.

Archived