Jon and Dany parallel journeys

Castellan

I thought of this ages ago, and wanted to do it properly, but I never will, so I am just putting up this sketch. 

Jon & Dany

1. Grow up in a family valued for their blood kinship but despised for other things (female/bastard) which make them unable/less able to inherit or participate.

2. They tend to be cautious observers. They have to accept and survive a degree of insult (We see Jon observing the Lannisters; Jon has to accept Catelyn’s dislike and even lies about it to Robb; Dany observes her brother and works out he is a fool even as she is putting up with threats and insults from him, she also observes Illyrio)

3 Take vows for a new life, far away, in a physically tough environment with frightening people with a different culture (On the way to the Wall Jon is disillusioned about the NW by seeing his fellow recruits and hearing Tyrion’s explanation; Dany observes the wedding customs and is afraid.)

4 A stranger (bearing books) helps them adjust to their new environment by explaining/translating and giving tips and support. (Jorah/Tyrion both give tips about how to behave and moral support. Interesting how they both turn up carrying books. Both of these strangers are outsiders, one an exile, one a despised dwarf.)

The order of stages varies between the two from now on, and the parallel is more muddled. I am abandoning numbering the points.

They achieve some status in the new place. (Dany becomes pregnant; Jon is appointed steward and is being groomed as Jeor’s successor)

They have to choose not to help their brother because of their new loyalties.

They suffer a loss which is partly their fault. {Rhaego; Ygritte}

The leader dies.  (jeor/Drogo)

They become leader in their own right (and both are chosen rather than impose leadership – Jon via a ballot Dany through acclaim)

The organisation splits into factions. Immediately for Dany. She only gets part of the group. In Jon’s case the factions simmer on indefinitely as he has the whole organisation.

They go on a physically difficult journey; are taken in by strangers; negotiate a relationship but do not trust the people and are not really trusted; leave in hostile circumstances. (This happens early in the piece for Jon, later for Dany.Dany – Red Desert – Qarth & Xaro Jon – ranging – Wildlings & Mance)

They refuse an alliance to do with obtaining their family position in Westeros (Jon refuses Stannis’ offer to make him Lord of Winterfell; Dany refuses Quentyn’s offer of marriage)

Struggling to stay true to their own purpose, they are force to accept a ‘marriage’ to a powerful suitor. [Hizdahr; Stannis. I think this parallel is very apt and am proudest of this point!]

An attempt is made on their life. {stabbing, poison}

Their bond with an animal saves them. (assuming Jon wargs Ghost while his body waits for him in an ice cell or something; Drogon and Dany)

There are out of the mainstream action for a while, their supporters don’t know what’s happened to them (assuming Jon is in Ghost)

I think there are also some comparisons in the area of Danys trying to free slaves and Jon trying to deal fairly with the wildlings, but I haven't got my head around them.

Any comments?

Also, they both grow up unaware of their grand destiny/birthright (Targ ancestry for Jon and bringing dragons back into the world for Dany)

And they both pass through death (Jon's stabbing and Dany surviving the fire that gives birth to the dragons)

I bring these points up because they, along with the fact that both their mentors (Joer and Drogo) have died, qualify both Dany and Jon as classically defined heroes (wiki Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces").  Whether this is because GRRM intends them to be the ultimate heroes of the story or because he wants his readers to think they are the heroes so their fall is that much more dramatic  remains to be seen.  It is clear, however, that GRRM is assiduously hitting the major bullet points of "the hero" for both these characters.

I agree they are both heroes and most of me thinks they'll continue on that path. However, GRRM does manage the suspense so you don't really know if their heroic trajectory will continue or not. Also. I have a feeling that heroism will not necessarily be rewarded in the world of the books. People may do mighty self sacrificing things but die unappreciated. They will not necessarily get the throne and be remembered in song for a 1000 years etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I only have a quick minute, but I wanted to say good job on your work , and, even though Jon and Dany have similar paths and the obstacles thrown at them, they handle each situation a little differently this is gradually shaping them into different people. I don't think we are getting a mirror image of them in the story. 

Archived