Arthur Dayne VS Oberyn Martell VS Robert Baratheon

[Deleted]

Assuming all 3 are at their peak physical condition (so Robert would be the Trident version, etc), and all have their preferred weapons (Dayne with Dawn, Robert with his warhammer and Oberyn with his spear) and armor, who would win if they had to fight each other one on one? Robert is all power, Dayne is supposed to be the best technical swordsman in generations, and Oberyn is quick like a snake with a long, deadly spear.

We all know Arthur Dayne is supposed to be unmatched in a swordfight, especially with Dawn, but how would he do against a powerful weapon like the warhammer or someone like Oberyn who he couldn't get close to? Would Robert be able to pound Dayne and Oberyn into sumbission? Would Oberyn treat Robert and Dayne like he did the Mountain, keeping back and chipping away at his opponents before moving in for the kill? Would Dayne's technical mind let him find a weakness in Robert and Oberyn's attacks?

I'm not sure who I think would come out on top. It might end up as a rock/paper/scissor kind of outcome, Oberyn beats Robert, Robert beats Dayne, Dayne beats Oberyn, or something to that effect. Curious to hear what others think and their reasoning.

What three great fights would have been

Considering that the three used different weapons is not easy to say which was the best technically. However I still believe Arthur Dayne was the best, he was consider as the best swordsman of all time so I think we had atleast a slight edge over Robert Baratheon and Oberyn Martell

Now the physical aspect, Robert at his peak was the strongest of this lot, 198m and full of muscles. We know nothing about the physicality of Arthur but almost certainly he was below Robert in this aspect. I don't anything about the height and weight of Oberyn but generally Martells aren't tall. 

Now the weapons, a warhammer is probably not the best weapons because it's range is not great however it's good against armored targets, a longsword is effective, good range and effective is both slashes and thrusts, specially when the armor serves almost as a shield. The spear as a huge range and is also easier to use than any of the other weapons. 

I assume that Oberyn's spear is not poisoned

Robert vs Arthur  40/60 Tight but I still favor Arthur because of all it's skill, he was better than Rhaegar, I think he would have been able to mortally injury Robert with a thrust without being hit by Robert's warhammer. 

Arthur vs Oberyn 65/35 Generelly spears have an advantage over swords but I think Arthur would find a way to get past the tip of Oberyn's spear slashing Oberyn several times, do to the fact that Oberyn only uses light armor. Oberyn could even hurt Dayne but his armor would protect him from most of his attacks. He could even break Oberyn's spear in half. Arthur would win but not easily 

Robert vs Oberyn 60/40 Martell would have a much better range using it in thrusts trying to penetrate Robert's armor. However a single blow of Robert's warhammer would kill it. As we see against Gregor it took several attacks to down him and by that time Robert would probably have kill him. 

1 hour ago, dornishdragon said:

Robert vs Oberyn 60/40 Martell would have a much better range using it in thrusts trying to penetrate Robert's armor. However a single blow of Robert's warhammer would kill it. As we see against Gregor it took several attacks to down him and by that time Robert would probably have kill him. 

This is what made me include Oberyn in the first place. Thinking about Robert, I started to view him as a smaller, weaker version of Gregor Clegane. Oberyn managed to defeat Gregor without too much trouble, only letting his emotions betray him in the very end. From there, I started wondering if Oberyn could defeat Robert using similar tactics. This in turn made me think about Arthur Dayne and how he'd deal with either of them, and thus this thread was born.

Still, excellent post and great analysis!

1 hour ago, goomba said:

Uh, Dayne beats both tbh.

in a straight 1 on 1 fight, Arthur beats both hands down.

Although i believe Robert would give him more problems than Oberyn would.

If all three had just swords, yes, no doubt. I think the different weapons and each person's skills at using them as well as different fighting styles are what makes these matchups interesting to think about.

2 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I believe Robert then Arthur and then Oberyn. Robert was a Beast an unstoppable force of nature, Arthur was the best swordman in his time and as much as we like Oberyn he wasn't a legendary warrior.

Oberyn wasn't a legendary warrior, but I think that's because the Dornish themselves have a mysterious air about them. They don't generally take part in wars the other kingdoms fight, so their warriors are largely unknown. Oberyn did manage to defeat the most feared swordsman of his time in Gregor Clegane, who was even more of a beast and force of nature than Robert was.

34 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Arthur Dayne

The other two are distant seconds, with Jaime Lannister, Barristan the Bold and possibly the Greatjon Umber and Sandor Clegane also filling the gap before you get down to Robert and Oberyn's levels.

But since those were the remaining two candidates, I pick Robert over Oberyn.

GreatJon and Sandor the featless, especially the former, are definitely not above Robert. Sandor is probably at Robert level.

Arthur vs Robert- Agreed that's it's 60-40 in Arthur's favor. Robert can sneak in a victory, but Arthur is definitely above him in skill. I imagine the gap isn't great though.

Arthur vs Oberyn- 85-15 in Arthur's favor. 

Robert vs Oberyn- 75-25 Robert. Oberyn isn't the Kung fu maestro he is in the show, nor is Robert as slow and unskilled as Gregor.

Robert wasn't slow, but his only chance against Dayne would be to land a killing blow as fast as possible, through a quick and vicious series of swings with his hammer (either to overwhelm or catch him off guard with his strength). 

Robert will also have to accept the fact that he will need to go in the jaws of a lion in order to stand a chance to land this killing blow, because it is certain that Dayne will extract a cost from Robert each time Robert misses.

Dayne on the other hand, has quite a few ways to apporach this fight, as his superior technique allows him so. He can block, parry and counter, fight a sustained pace or simply go for the killing blow. 

While we don't know much about Dayne, we can safely assume he was probly around 6'2 (Barristan and Jaime's height), and like Selmy and Jaime, favored a fighting style that emphasized speed and precision, and that his strength was surpassed by his speed.

Not confirmed, but we can also assume he was ambidextrous, which give him more angles to block and swing from as well as making him much less predictable than the average swordsman.

Roberts only hope basically is to swing his hammer at the same time Arthur is swinging his sword and hope his lands first.

If Robert can come out alive at all, he will pretty much be on the brink of death, and this will only be through sheer willpower and a lucky swing.

9 times out of 10 though, Robert will be decapitated.

My next post i will explain how i think a Oberyn vs Arthur fight will play out :D:D:D

5 minutes ago, goomba said:

While we don't know much about Dayne, we can safely assume he was probly around 6'2 (Barristan and Jaime's height), and like Selmy and Jaime, favored a fighting style that emphasized speed and precision, and that his strength was surpassed by his speed.

I would see more about 6'4, he was listed by Jaime as one of the noticeably stronger than him along with the likes of the Robert, the Cleganes brothers etc.

I'll go for big Bobby B against Dayne since he has the weapon advantage for fighting knights and the strength advantage to boot if he grapples. 

The reality if fighting in plate armour is that blows are landing and Bob has a warhammer and the skill and strength to back it up so I'd have to give it him almost every time. Dayne would have to be superhuman to have the strength and speed to parry consistently, it's just not how fighting in plate works and one guy has a weapon specifically designed for delivering those blows. 

Toss up between Oberyn and Bob, if Oberyn's using poison and Bob can't grab him could go to Oberyn. If Bob uses the advantage of his plate armour and just charges to grab him and grapple I'd give it Bob. 

Dayne vs Oberyn I'd go Dayne because he has the armour advantage and skill to keep Oberyn at bay. 

Prime Robert = Dayne > Oberyn

Robert's skill with a warhammer is legendary, the same as Dayne with a sword... add reach and power wich in armoured combat is essencial, and Bob is below no one... h2h it's not even a contest... nor in book feats...

1v1 armoured combat or h2h (no bjj at the time lol) personally favours genetic freaks with power and speed like Robert

Robert and Dayne can go either way with a slight mistake (if Dawn can cut like butter, because the warhammer is going to crush/penetrate plate)... Oberyn (no poisoned weapons) is just a tier behind the highest possible (those two, Barri, Jaime, Daemon, Aemon) impho

Arthur Dayne w/Dawn, really just because of the sword. Jaime says that it cut through his clothing and made him bleed with just the lightest touch. That's not sharpness, that's magic. If I touch a scalpel to tissue paper, the tissue paper has a good chance of staying together. In a one on one fight he can probably sunder either Robert or Oberyn's weapon and then kill them at his leisure.

Using another sword I think Arthur Dayne loses to Oberyn who mutually kills Robert.

2 minutes ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

Arthur Dayne w/Dawn, really just because of the sword. Jaime says that it cut through his clothing and made him bleed with just the lightest touch. That's not sharpness, that's magic. If I touch a scalpel to tissue paper, the tissue paper has a good chance of staying together. In a one on one fight he can probably sunder either Robert or Oberyn's weapon and then kill them at his leisure.

Using another sword I think Arthur Dayne loses to Oberyn who mutually kills Robert.

The whole fight depends on how well Dawn cuts through armor. In the real world swords and spears would be fairly useless against the type of armor Arthur Dayne and Robert would wear. A sword fight between two late medieval Knights would look more like wrestling, and the swords used as levers to throw your opponent to the ground, so you can thread the sword/dagger tip trough the visor.  

So the question is:

Is Dawn a light saber or just a sword that wont get dull?

10 hours ago, Trigger Warning said:

I'll go for big Bobby B against Dayne since he has the weapon advantage for fighting knights and the strength advantage to boot if he grapples. 

The reality if fighting in plate armour is that blows are landing and Bob has a warhammer and the skill and strength to back it up so I'd have to give it him almost every time. Dayne would have to be superhuman to have the strength and speed to parry consistently, it's just not how fighting in plate works and one guy has a weapon specifically designed for delivering those blows. 

Toss up between Oberyn and Bob, if Oberyn's using poison and Bob can't grab him could go to Oberyn. If Bob uses the advantage of his plate armour and just charges to grab him and grapple I'd give it Bob. 

Dayne vs Oberyn I'd go Dayne because he has the armour advantage and skill to keep Oberyn at bay. 

This is pretty much the paper/rock/scissor scenario I imagined. Bob is basically a smaller, weaker Gregor, and Oberyn handled Gregor without too much issue, so I imagine Oberyn would take down Bob in a similar manner. A warhammer, for all of its power, is a slower weapon than a sword, which plays exactly to Oberyn's advntage of speed and agility. Bob's power is useless against Oberyn because he wouldn't be able to catch him or get close enough to use the hammer.

Bob's power, however, would work well against Dayne. Unless Dawn is a lightsaber, Bob actually has the weapon advantage in that his warhammer is designed to deliver crushing blows, which would make Dayne's armor basically useless while Bob would be fairly well protected against Dawn. if Bob is raining blows down on Dayne mercilessly, there's really not much Arthur can do unless he can make Bob miss and cut him in one of his joints, which would be asking for a lot.

But whereas Bob depends on power, Dayne relies on finesse and technique. Dayne is also faster than Bob, but not as quick as lightly-armored Oberyn. But this would still mean Oberyn would not be able to snipe at him like he would bigger, more powerful targets. I imagine Dayne would parry all of Obery's spear thrusts, which he could do since Dawn is more mobile than Robert's hammer. Dayne could then just wait for his opportunity to get inside the range of Oberyn's spear. Once he does that, it's game over Oberyn.

• Ser Arthur Dayne.  Gifted swordsman with an unbreakable sword.
  • Robert Baratheon.  Very strong, very big man with a crushing weapon.
  • Oberyn Martell.  Tall, agile man who uses poisons.

Dayne > Robert > Oberyn

4 hours ago, Lemonking said:

The whole fight depends on how well Dawn cuts through armor. In the real world swords and spears would be fairly useless against the type of armor Arthur Dayne and Robert would wear. A sword fight between two late medieval Knights would look more like wrestling, and the swords used as levers to throw your opponent to the ground, so you can thread the sword/dagger tip trough the visor.  

So the question is:

Is Dawn a light saber or just a sword that wont get dull?

I think the evidence points towards lightsaber, but the question is, how good of a lightsaber is it?

I think it would be super dumb if it could cut clean through steel like it was nothing, but wooden shafts? Those seem relatively reasonable. 

Archived