Was Robert Baratheon physically the strongest of his time?

mystickristoff

Young Rob Baratheon is on a level strength wise with Sandor and Great John Umber though not physically as big as either.  That is to say he is insanely strong for his size especially since his weapon of choice requires somebody of uncommon strength to be effective.  Probably slightly stronger and bigger than Victarion in his prime although Vic is probably his closest living analogue.  Substantially smaller and weaker than Gregor Clegane who is by far the biggest knight in known Westerosi history, but strong enough and skilled enough to make it a very close fight given his intangibles.  He probably has much better movement skills, mastery of a giant warhammer, a champion's fighting heart, and probably substantially higher stamina by virtue of having so much less weight to move around, although the warhammer itself is a draining weapon to wield let alone fight with. Perhaps the secret to their size and strength is that the Cleganes are the first juiceheads in Westerosi history.  Gregor certainly has enough uncontrollable roid rage incidents to suggest he's hitting the sauce pretty hard.  Maybe the maesters have come up with a concoction that acts similarly to modern PEDs?  Young Rob is pretty suspicious too come to think of it.  

At RR time, only gregor was above in strenght... the guy is a freak (even at 17)... but in weapon skill well below Robert, that's what made him a god of war, skill and power in the highest of levels

GRRM's described only someone with Robert´s own freakish strenght could wield that warhammer like a blade... the only human freak (hodor not counting) was clegane

greatjon and sandor have great power, but not nearly as many mentions of it or feats compared to prime Bob, heck even is fat drunk self threw a tall, strong knight like Jaime like a ragdoll

Robert was definetely one of the strongest men in Westeros at his prime, a bit smaller than Greatjon Umber and Sandor Clegane but probably a better warrior than any of them. Probably around the same height of Smalljon, Victarion Greyjoy and Brienne but stronger than the three. A truly beast. 

7 hours ago, rhoynestar said:

Agreed, we probably don't have enough data to compare. 

Do we have any knowledge of why the Cleganes are so big and strong in the current generation? I don't recall for instance Gregor's father being described as near his size. 

I think they are , like Breine, descendants of Duncan the Tall. 

3 hours ago, dornishdragon said:

Robert was definetely one of the strongest men in Westeros at his prime, a bit smaller than Greatjon Umber and Sandor Clegane but probably a better warrior than any of them. Probably around the same height of Smalljon, Victarion Greyjoy and Brienne but stronger than the three. A truly beast. 

Robert is slightly shorter than the Hound however there is a clear gap between him and the Greatjon who is 7ft.  The smalljon is almost as tall as his father so he is defintely taller than Robert.

10 hours ago, rhoynestar said:

Agreed, we probably don't have enough data to compare. 

Do we have any knowledge of why the Cleganes are so big and strong in the current generation? I don't recall for instance Gregor's father being described as near his size. 

Dunno, just good genetics, I guess.

I don't recall whether Papa Clegane was big and strong or not.

Maybe it's from Mama Clegane.  I'm a really big sports fan, and I've heard that when some college football (American football) scouts meet high school recruits, they are more interested in meeting the mother than the father to see how big the kid might grow (not that the mother would be bigger than the father, but I've heard if the mother is proportionally larger for a woman than the father is for a man, the scouts value that a lot)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Shagga must be pretty strong, too.

Even if Shagga was obviously was not on the list which Jaime  composed about the guys who are/were possibly stronger than him.

I think the Hound might be a better fighter than Robert, or I just like  Sandor as a person more, than Robert.

47 minutes ago, Oakhearts head said:

The other day there was a guy here claiming Robert was literally unstoppable and I couldn't stop giggling.

No one is really... But no other knight is closer than him to being so, 4/5 in history are as close but not more based on feats and character/author quotes

I think Bob was a warrior and a great warlord. He commanded respect and was very charismatic. He used a warhammer and I suspect his war tactics were similar than those of Roderick Dustin. He rode into battle and his soldiers rode with him sharing his same bloodlust.  I mean, in the Trident he managed to reach the enemy army commander and kill him. That doesn't say much wise, but him being able to break through the enemy host (which was huge, about 30.000 if I recall correctly) and aim especifically for the enemy leader sounds like he was a beast and just overrun his enemies.

As for physical strenght one can only especulate. But that's going too far. We know he lost to Selmy in a tourney so at least in jousts, physical strenght is just a factor. Uthor Underleaf defeated Dunk in a blink of an eye, the latter being probably twice as strong.

Archived