"A picture of me on the Iron Throne..." - Why?

Why does Littlefinger want the Iron Throne so badly? He's probably as shrewd as Tywin who knows that a crown does not really give you power. I would have thought that the Iron Throne would be the position intelligent people want least. Surely it is better to be the force behind it and sit Robert Arryn on the throne instead if supreme power is what he wants? Kings and Queens in the series and in real life are just pawns for those who really control things and helpfully enough are the target of aggression if things go wrong.

Is he more of a Margery situation where it is less about power and more about status? I suppose I could get behind this because he must be supremely bitter that his lack of status stopped him from marrying Catelyn Stark. His status as a minor noble and brothel owner has people sidelining and underestimating him so becoming King of the realm would be an ultimate "Look at me now!" gesture.

Or maybe none of the above and there is something else driving him.

I have a feeling in the book it won't be the throne, it'll be to be the most powerful. Like you said probably using Robert and the Vale or Sansa and the North to ride in and conquer while he reaps the benefits like usual.

For the show... it's probably the throne. When they flat out throw it in your face, it's probably true when it comes down to it. The fact that some show-only watchers were surprised by the outcome of Cercei's trial (I know some really unobservant people I guess...) leads me to believe here on out will be the fast-food version of the ending... Even moreso than they've been doing the last few seasons.

I think when he spoke with Sansa, he told her something that one would take as a conclusion. You know when someone says, they want to be king of the world, they don't mean the seat but the power that comes with it. When he spoke with her on the ship, I think she asked him a similar question and it was a better answer..."EVERYTHING"

Here the mentioned picture  (courtesy of some redditor) :D

http://i.imgur.com/zmNInt3.jpg

he wants the IT because his past trauma from his story with Catelyn Stark, he wants to change his social status so no one will tell him "you can't get this" anymore, and the destiny gave him Cat 2.0 so he's obsessed with Lady Sansa

That line from him felt totally unexpected to me. I've always thought he just wants power wherever it stands at the moment and doesn't care much about titles. But I also agree that it might be about insecurity that has to do with his lowborn status. He wants to prove his excellence and worth to people. You can already deduce that from his appearance: IIRC he's typically described as very well and finely dressed and neat (and although that in itself is not unheard of among the nobility, it's the way it's being pointed out in the text).

And of course, he also wants Sansa. Or Catelyn. Still not sure which lady he's thinking about here. Creepy dude...

18 hours ago, HeroesAndVillains said:

Why does Littlefinger want the Iron Throne so badly? He's probably as shrewd as Tywin who knows that a crown does not really give you power. I would have thought that the Iron Throne would be the position intelligent people want least. Surely it is better to be the force behind it and sit Robert Arryn on the throne instead if supreme power is what he wants? Kings and Queens in the series and in real life are just pawns for those who really control things and helpfully enough are the target of aggression if things go wrong.

Is he more of a Margery situation where it is less about power and more about status? I suppose I could get behind this because he must be supremely bitter that his lack of status stopped him from marrying Catelyn Stark. His status as a minor noble and brothel owner has people sidelining and underestimating him so becoming King of the realm would be an ultimate "Look at me now!" gesture.

Or maybe none of the above and there is something else driving him.

I have an inkling that LF wasn't honest with sansa about wanting the throne. Maybe he thought that's what she wanted to hear? 

Or this..

14 hours ago, Tchzaelous said:

I have a feeling in the book it won't be the throne, it'll be to be the most powerful. Like you said probably using Robert and the Vale or Sansa and the North to ride in and conquer while he reaps the benefits like usual.

For the show... it's probably the throne. When they flat out throw it in your face, it's probably true when it comes down to it. The fact that some show-only watchers were surprised by the outcome of Cercei's trial (I know some really unobservant people I guess...) leads me to believe here on out will be the fast-food version of the ending... Even moreso than they've been doing the last few seasons.

I'm just tired of all the things in the show that don't make sense being blamed on bad writing.. come on d & d, you can do better!

15 hours ago, Commander Jon Snow said:

Littlefinger is basically the Gatsby of Westeros. He still wants to prove to Catelyn that he was good enough to marry her. Deranged man

Exactly. In the books it seems the "flashbacks" to when Brandon Stark kicks LF's butt, that was clearly a huge thing. It's what's been driving his life ever since.

15 hours ago, Tchzaelous said:

Sad but true. There are only 15 or so episodes left. 15 hours, and we expect to get to the "end" of this tale? That's a tall order it seems.

I don´t think he cares about the Iron Throne specifically, only about the power that comes with it. He told Sansa what she wanted to hear, for one because "power" wouldn´t be quite as clear a picture as "the Iron Throne", and also because ever since the Eyrie Sansa believes that she is all that LF wants. He made it clear she´s second to power in his plans, and in my opinion, he did so to push Sansa out of balance.

He knows Sansa most likely is not attracted to him like he is to her. That puts him in a disadvantage in terms of leverage. By estabilshing that Sansa is the second thing he wants next to power, he is able to put himself in a better position in comparison to her. He understands that Sansa is also looking for power, and that she can eventually see him as a means to such power. Whenever that happens, they would be in a more similar situation - both looking for power first, and the other person secondly.

Archived