The greatest single fighters of every Kingdom of Westeros

I'm hoping we have enough source material to go on in order to complete this list: I will certainly need your guys help. All I have is Dorne and Westerlands.

Westerlands: The Mountain

Sandor is the only man whose not afraid of his older brother Gregor but i'd still put Gregor The Mountain Clegane as the greatest fighter of Westerlands.

Dorne: Oberyn Martell

Can you guys help me finish this list, for the Vale, North, Riverlands, Stormlands, and the Reach. Thanks

This list is composed of characters that were at some point alive in the timeline of ASOIAF books

The Reach : Garlan Tyrell 

The North : Greatjon Umber or Qhorin Halfhand

Vale : Lyn Corbray

Riverlands : Black Walder is my guess

Stormlands : Barristan Selmy

These are my picks

Purely going by the characters we know about :

The North: Smalljon Umber.

Riverlands: Brynden Tully.

Iron Islands: Andrik the Unsmiling.

The Vale: Lyn Corbray.

Westerlands: Jaime Lannister/Sandor Clegane.

Stormlands: Barristan Selmy.

The Reach: Garlan Tyrell.

Dorne: Oberyn Martell.

Honorable mention to :

Archibald Yronwood, Balon Swann, Black Walder Frey, Brienne of Tarth, Bronze Yohn Royce, Bryce Caron, Daemon Sand, Garth Hightower, Greatjon Umber, Gregor Clegane, Guyard Morrigen, Harras Harlaw, Hosteen Frey, Loras Tyrell, Lyle Crakehall, Mandon Moore, Parmen Crane, Qarl the Maid, Robar Royce, Rolland Storm, Victarion Greyjoy.

North - Greatjon (Mance deserves a mention)

Riverlands - Unclear, none really stand out. Probably the Blackfish over black walder/ Tytos Blackwood (little talked about but performs really well at the start of the series)

westerlands - before losing his hand, Jaime is my pick. If Oberyn could beat the mountain in a fight, so too could Jaime

vale - Bronze Yohn edges Lyn Corbray imo

reach - Garlan Tyrell

Stormlands - Barristan Selmy

Dorne - Oberyn Martell

Beyond the Wall: Mag the Mighty.

The North: Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun

The Riverlands: Blackfish

The Vale: Lyn Corbray, maybe? Really, almost just by default.

Crownlands: Ser Strong

Westerlands: Lyle Crakehall

Reach: Left and Right

Stormlands: Brienne

Dorne: Areo Hotah

I listed a dead guy for Beyond the Wall because all the named fighters beyond the wall are dead. If I had to pick a living one, I guess I'd go with Hodor?

I'm basing my list of the start of the first book, and giving 3 or 4 alternatives that could compete with the top fighter, IMO.

The North: GreatJon Umber (Honorable mentions: SmallJon Umber, Ned Stark, Ser Rodrik Cassel)

The Riverlands: Tough call: I'd say either Jason Mallister or the Blackfish (Honorable mentions: Tytos Blackwood, Black Walder Frey)

The Vale: Bronze Yohn Royce (Honorable mentions: Robar Royce, Lyn Corbray, Mandon Moore)

The Westerlands: Jaime Lannister (Honorable mentions: The Mountain, The Hound, Lyle Crakehall)

The Crownlands: Bronn; we don't know where he's from but he spends the most time there in the books (Honorable mentions: Jacelyn Bywater, Robert Baratheon)

The Reach: Garlan Tyrell (Honorable mentions: Talbert Serry, Baelor Hightower, Loras Tyrell)

The Stormlands: Barristan Selmy (Honorable mentions: Balon Swann, Brienne of Tarth, Richard Horpe, Rolland Storm, Beric Dondarion)

Dorne: Areo Hotah (Honorable mentions: Oberyn Martell, Daemon Sand, Anders Yronwood, Gerold Dayne)

The Iron Islands: Andrik the Unsmiling (Honorable mentions: Victarion Greyjoy, Dagmer Cleftjaw, Harras Harlaw)

The Night's Watch: Qhorin Halfhand (Honorable mentions: Benjen Stark, Jeor Mormont, Donal Noye)

Beyond the Wall: excluding the giants, Mance Rayder (Honorable mentions: Magnar Styr, Tormund Giantsbane, Sigorn of Thenn)

3 hours ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

I think it's meant to be fighter who come from each region, not who is there at this point, so Wun Wun should also be beyond the Wall.

You think two random guards from the Reach can really compete with the Tyrell Knight who regularly duels with multiple opponents? Or the famously skilled younger brother? Or the young Talbert Serry who goes toe to toe with Vic well enough to be considered worthy of respect by one of the least respectful people in the story?

And Brienne's good but is she Balon Swann/Barristan Selmy level of good?

Oh and for the Nights Watch, Iron Emmett (Considered the pride of Eastwatch) i'd put down as the greatest fighter. He bested Jon with ease and we all know how good a fighter Jon is. I wish we knew more about Emmett's background, where hes from and if he was born of Nobility.

Barristan Selmy I'd include for the Stormlands.

thank you guys all so much for your help thus far.

The Riverlands: Blackfish

The Vale: Lyn Corbray, maybe? Really, almost just by default.

Crownlands: Ser Strong

Westerlands: Lyle Crakehall

Dorne: Areo Hotah

I listed a dead guy for Beyond the Wall because all the named fighters beyond the wall are dead. If I had to pick a living one, I guess I'd go with Hodor?

Lyle Crakehall is a renowned fighter. Jamie Lannister considers him 1 of the few who'd give Jamie a good fight. But would you still put him above the Mountain? Not sure I would. Also, Hotah I wouldn't consider a Dornishman, since hes from Norvos but he IS the Captain of Doran Martells Guard so it could work I guess.

8 minutes ago, Bleed Rangers Blue said:

Oh and for the Nights Watch, Iron Emmett (Considered the pride of Eastwatch) i'd put down as the greatest fighter. He bested Jon with ease and we all know how good a fighter Jon is. I wish we knew more about Emmett's background, where hes from and if he was born of Nobility.

thank you guys all so much for your help thus far.

This reminds me that Mance Rayder didn't have any trouble with Jon (he was glamored as Rattleshirt at the time) either.  So Mance is a pretty good fighter but even he would have a really tough time defeating Wun Wun to take the honor of best fighter from Beyond the Wall;)

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

This reminds me that Mance Rayder didn't have any trouble with Jon (he was glamored as Rattleshirt at the time) either.  So Mance is a pretty good fighter but even he would have a really tough time defeating Wun Wun to take the honor of best fighter from Beyond the Wall;)

Only if you're including the giants, but if you are then it's no question Wun Wun and Mag would win a fighting contest North of the Wall hands down. Better question is which one of them would win if they fought each other.

Beyond the Wall: Wun Wun (Excluding walkers)

North : Greatjon Umber

Westerlands : Cleganes or prime Jaime

Riverlands: Jason Mallister

Vale : Bronze Yohn Royce

Iron Islands : Victorian Greyjoy or Harras Harlaw

Reach: Garlan Tyrell

Crownlands: Robert Strong

Stormlands: Barristan

Dorne: Hotah or Oberyn

Are we talking all time or the start of the series?

Start of the series:

The North- GreatJon Umber 

The Vale- Lyn Corbray. Mychel Redfort seems set to surpass him. Yohn Royce is good but likely hindered by age. Robards Royce and Mandon Moore are also notable

Riverlands- Jason Mallister or Walder Rivers. Not much info to decide which for sure, but it definitely is not the Blackfish

Iron Islands- Andrik the Unsmiling, its common knowledge to all the Iron born raiders 

Westerlands- Jaime Lannister 

Crownlands- With what little we know, it's probably Lothor Brune. Maybe Godry Farring depending on Winds

Stormlands- Barristan is not in his prime anymore, so I'm not sure who is better between him and Brienne 

Reach- Garlan with Loras creeping behind very closely 

Dorne- We only know about Oberyn, Archibald, and Daemon Sand. I'd say Oberyn for now, but Sand or Dorkstar could suprise

6 hours ago, Bleed Rangers Blue said:

Lyle Crakehall is a renowned fighter. Jamie Lannister considers him 1 of the few who'd give Jamie a good fight. But would you still put him above the Mountain? Not sure I would. Also, Hotah I wouldn't consider a Dornishman, since hes from Norvos but he IS the Captain of Doran Martells Guard so it could work I guess.

I put the mountain down for the strongest fighter in the Crownlands. Gregor and Jaime are the two contenders for best wrstetlander fighter at the start of the series, but Jaime's maimed and Gregor isn't Gregor anymore.

6 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

I think it's meant to be fighter who come from each region, not who is there at this point, so Wun Wun should also be beyond the Wall.

You think two random guards from the Reach can really compete with the Tyrell Knight who regularly duels with multiple opponents? Or the famously skilled younger brother? Or the young Talbert Serry who goes toe to toe with Vic well enough to be considered worthy of respect by one of the least respectful people in the story?

And Brienne's good but is she Balon Swann/Barristan Selmy level of good?

Brienne was better than Loras, who was roughly equivalent to a young Jaime. There'd be no contest between her and a prime Barristan Selmy or Robert, but right now, I think she edges out the competition. 

Left and Right aren't random guardsmen. They're seven foot tall twins named after legendary Knights, the chosen guardians of the longest reigning queen in Westeros - the Queen of Thorns. If she thought any of her grandsons were better fighters, then she'd honor them with the opportunity to listen in on the most hilarious conversations in planetos. :P

I think that's a fair comment on Wun Wun. So I guess then it's probably one of the Umber Jons.

7 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

I'm basing my list of the start of the first book, and giving 3 or 4 alternatives that could compete with the top fighter, IMO.

The North: GreatJon Umber (Honorable mentions: SmallJon Umber, Ned Stark, Ser Rodrik Cassel)

The Riverlands: Tough call: I'd say either Jason Mallister or the Blackfish (Honorable mentions: Tytos Blackwood, Black Walder Frey)

The Vale: Bronze Yohn Royce (Honorable mentions: Robar Royce, Lyn Corbray, Mandon Moore)

The Westerlands: Jaime Lannister (Honorable mentions: The Mountain, The Hound, Lyle Crakehall)

The Crownlands: Bronn; we don't know where he's from but he spends the most time there in the books (Honorable mentions: Jacelyn Bywater, Robert Baratheon)

The Reach: Garlan Tyrell (Honorable mentions: Talbert Serry, Baelor Hightower, Loras Tyrell)

The Stormlands: Barristan Selmy (Honorable mentions: Balon Swann, Brienne of Tarth, Richard Horpe, Rolland Storm, Beric Dondarion)

Dorne: Areo Hotah (Honorable mentions: Oberyn Martell, Daemon Sand, Anders Yronwood, Gerold Dayne)

The Iron Islands: Andrik the Unsmiling (Honorable mentions: Victarion Greyjoy, Dagmer Cleftjaw, Harras Harlaw)

The Night's Watch: Qhorin Halfhand (Honorable mentions: Benjen Stark, Jeor Mormont, Donal Noye)

Beyond the Wall: excluding the giants, Mance Rayder (Honorable mentions: Magnar Styr, Tormund Giantsbane, Sigorn of Thenn)

Rhaegar was the best in the recent historical past. Better than Barristan Selmy and Arthur Dayne.

34 minutes ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

Brienne was better than Loras, who was roughly equivalent to a young Jaime. There'd be no contest between her and a prime Barristan Selmy or Robert, but right now, I think she edges out the competition. 

Left and Right aren't random guardsmen. They're seven foot tall twins named after legendary Knights, the chosen guardians of the longest reigning queen in Westeros - the Queen of Thorns. If she thought any of her grandsons were better fighters, then she'd honor them with the opportunity to listen in on the most hilarious conversations in planetos. :P

I think that's a fair comment on Wun Wun. So I guess then it's probably one of the Umber Jons.

Yes Brienne beat Loras, but it wasn't actually to do with skill. He disarms her and then she tackles him. Sheer physical strength beat Loras, just like Dunk did with Aerion. Plus, I think Loras is vastly overrated. I don't deny that he is a very skilled swordsman, but if he is equivalent to a young Jaime, then that would imply that his more skilled brother Garlan is even better than a two handed Jaime. I think someone would have picked up on this.

Remember, Loras is more renowned for jousting and tournaments than one on one battle's.

I may have exaggerated my low opinion on the guardsmen, but like I said above, sheer strength isn't all a great fighter needs. They could be tall and scary strong, but clumsy with a sword and armour like Dunk in Hedge Knight. They aren't I know, but we don't have any info regarding their prowess, so I put them below Garlan who regularly duels multiple opponents in training matches.

Honestly I think Garlan could be the upcoming all time champion fighter in Westeros. His generations Barristan Selmy, Arthur Dayne, Jaime Lannister etc

Just now, tugela said:

Rhaegar was the best in the recent historical past. Better than Barristan Selmy and Arthur Dayne.

Proof? Plus, I did say that I was working from the beginning of book 1, otherwise Arthur Dayne would have been my choice for Dorne.

Archived