Do you consider Jon a good swordfighter?

forod

I've seen a lot of people refer to Jon as really good with a sword, but we aren't given this impression by the text. We mostly see Jon fight people who barely know how to hold a sword, and when he fights people who do, he normally comes off worse. Mance easily bested him, and Iron Emmett was better than him.

I think he's pretty good. Not a super talent,  but better than most. I don't think Mormont would've given him Longclaw if he was only a reasonably good swordfighter, he could've given him anything of value,  without wasting his ancestral sword on someotne who barely knows how to use it. 

2 hours ago, forod said:

I've seen a lot of people refer to Jon as really good with a sword, but we aren't given this impression by the text. We mostly see Jon fight people who barely know how to hold a sword, and when he fights people who do, he normally comes off worse. Rhaegar easily bested him, and Iron Emmett was better than him.

I'm assuming you mean Rayder, not Rhaegar. The only issue with that fight is that we don't know how Jon would have performed if he hadn't adjusted his fight plan according to who he thought he was facing. Not saying he would have beaten Mance, but we don't know how that fight would have turned out if Jon knew who he was actually facing. I agree with the majority here that Jon is skilled, but not great; after all, he has been training from a young age with a man-at-arms.

9 minutes ago, Red Man Racey said:

I'm assuming you mean Rayder, not Rhaegar. The only issue with that fight is that we don't know how Jon would have performed if he hadn't adjusted his fight plan according to who he thought he was facing. Not saying he would have beaten Mance, but we don't know how that fight would have turned out if Jon knew who he was actually facing. I agree with the majority here that Jon is skilled, but not great; after all, he has been training from a young age with a man-at-arms.

Also for all we know, being glamoured may be beneficial when fighting.

1 hour ago, Lemonking said:

Jon is 16 or 17, he needs at least another 3-5 years to get the body mass to compete with the greats on equal footing. 

Exactly, he's definitely well above average for his age, comparing him to seasoned swordsman with many years experience is unfair..

1 hour ago, Red Man Racey said:

Thanks, I do!

Jon is good to above average. But he's certainly not top tier as the sparring with Mance proved. 

The thing with Jon is that he trains a lot and obviously realizes that he needs to improve. He was getting better until he got killed. 

Archived