The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

Hiya,

A year and a half ago, I decided to embark on a complete Winds of Winter resource putting together all of the verified information I could find on the internet. However, life got busy, and my last real update to the original post was back in September 2015.

Well, I decided to rectify that and have spent a few weeks working on a major update... but that update was post-length, so I just decided to make a brand new post incorporating everything both old and new into one single solitary resource.

What's in the resource? Herein you'll find the following information:

• GRRM's Writing Progress
  • All of the Released Sample Chapters (and where to find them)
  • All of the Winds of Winter chapters that GRRM has read at conventions/appearances
  • Winds of Winter chapters & POVs that are known to exist but have not been released or read at conventions
  • Unconfirmed but probable POV characters
  • Plot Points that GRRM or his editors have confirmed
  • Miscellaneous information on TWOW

In creating this resource, I've been helped by folks in pointing me to more info that I didn't know about previously. So! Know of something not included in this post? Let me know. I'll credit you! (if you want to be credited!)

Thanks for reading. Enjoy!

12 hours ago, BryndenBFish said:

Adding a few more things today:

1. Damphair will have more chapters in TWOW.

2. At Balticon, GRRM said he would visit Gendry and Arya again.

Wait, does that mean he's not going to go rowing to Valinor like in the TV show?

Gonna go check this post out now! Also loved your cameos on Radio Westeros by the way.

14 hours ago, BryndenBFish said:

Adding a few more things today:

1. Damphair will have more chapters in TWOW.

2. At Balticon, GRRM said he would visit Gendry and Arya again.

You mention that " GRRM was unhappy with some of the way TWOW was written and began rewriting".

Where is this from exactly?

13 minutes ago, BryndenBFish said:

Over on reddit, we're decoding an image from a brief image when GRRM made a brief appearance on John Oliver's show of what he was writing back in June 2014. In a word, the Battle of Ice, seemingly with Asha as a POV character!

Very interesting! It fits perfectly with what I think will happen early on in TWoW, just before the battle; Asha is THE PoV to show us how Stannis will deal with Theon, and what happens when he's before the heart tree. :)

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Very interesting! It fits perfectly with what I think will happen early on in TWoW, just before the battle; Asha is THE PoV to show us how Stannis will deal with Theon, and what happens when he's before the heart tree. :)

Well the only other choice for the Battle of Ice is Theon and he would have to tell us what's going on from the side lines, because it honestly looks like his fighting days are done.

11 minutes ago, sifth said:

Well the only other choice for the Battle of Ice is Theon and he would have to tell us what's going on from the side lines, because it honestly looks like his fighting days are done.

Yeah. But I'm talking before the actual fighting starts. I'm talking about seeing what will happen to Theon and how that plays out, and the ideal PoV for that is Asha. 

What we've come up with so far:

• "Lord Reaper of Pyke" (top middle)
  • "of King Stannis Tommen", line 5. Edit: I think it reads "standard of King Tommen" in that line.
  • Negative image of the doc.
  • /u/Stormlady sees "Asha thought of", "had fought it" -- kind of big, but potential here that this is an Asha chapter, and! Asha hadn't been previously confirmed to return to TWOW as a POV character.
  • /u/MagicBottomMan: "The old northman had fought.."
  • /u/glass_table_girl & /u/Bookshelfstud : "the leader of the [blank] wore sellsword plate and mail." (para 2, line 1)
  • "The knight brandished a bloody head impaled upon the point of a tall spear. The old man's head..." para 2, line 6-7
  • /u/Mallingerer sees "fashioned in the shape of the twin towers of House Frey" in para 1, line 3.

of the Lord Reaper of Pyke. __ __ ___ ____ _ ____ ___ ____ ____, Asha thought, as she __ _ _____ ____ ___ of the ___

__ leader of the _____ wore sellsword plate and mail, ____ __ of ___ ___. The __ of the _____ ___, __ fashioned in the shape of the Twin Towers of House Frey _____ ___ ____ _____ _____. __ ____ ___ ____ __ standard of King Tommen, _____ ____ ____ ______ __ _____

The ____ brandished a bloody head impaled upon the point [of a] tall spear. The old man’s head ___ ___, [white-bearded?] and __

The ____ ___ ___________ ___, a pale [wolf?] __ ___ along ____ ____ [some word like hadn’t or couldn’t… there’s an apostrophe] ___ ________ ____ ____ ____

[italicized words], Asha knew. The old northman had fought ___ , _____. Perhaps __ ___ ___ _______ ___ ____ __ ___ ___ _____ [word with apostrophe] ____ ___ ____ __ ___

16 minutes ago, AlienCarnivore said:

Don't forget to add that the Brave Companions will be back. George said that when he said that Gendry and Arya will meet again, didn't he?

Aren't most of them dead? All of the important members anyway. 

8 hours ago, sifth said:

Aren't most of them dead? All of the important members anyway. 

There are four members left, one of them being Urswyck, who was Vargo Hoat's lieutenant, Zollo, the person who cut off Jaime's hand, and Three Toes and Togg Joth, who haven't done anything. But whether or not most of them are dead or alive is irrelevant; George said they would be back.

The most recent translation on that Reddit thread says the head on the spear is Crowfood Umber.  That makes sense.  He was right outside Winterfell laying traps and stuff the last we saw him.  Looks like the Freys managed to take him down.  

Archived