The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

1 hour ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

The most recent translation on that Reddit thread says the head on the spear is Crowfood Umber.  That makes sense.  He was right outside Winterfell laying traps and stuff the last we saw him.  Looks like the Freys managed to take him down.  

:bawl:

Look, it was always puzzling to me how Crowfood could expect to sit outside Winterfell with 400 green recruits and expect to gleefully threaten the veteran army numbering around 8000 or more sitting inside the castle. What was his plan once they charged out the gates? The trenches could only have stopped a limited number of horsemen before his boys got slaughtered.

Sounds to me almost like a deliberate suicide mission.

As an aside, I wonder how old Hother feels about this, standing on the other side.

Yes. A suicide mission. 

So how many POVs confirmed now out of the 13? I think this means:

Asha

Sansa

Arya

Arianne

Jon C

Tyrion

Dany

Cersei

Aeron

Barristan

Theon

Prologue/Jenye

Leaving Brienne, Jaime, Sam, Melisandre: we need someone at the Wall so I think M is a go, where Aeron can give us eyes on OT, along with either B or J.  

3 hours ago, Crixus said:

Yes. A suicide mission. 

Asha

Sansa

Arya

Arianne

Jon C

Tyrion

Dany

Cersei

Aeron

Barristan

Theon

Prologue/Jenye

Leaving Brienne, Jaime, Sam, Melisandre: we need someone at the Wall so I think M is a go, where Aeron can give us eyes on OT, along with either B or J.  

If the shows any indication Jon's coming back as well, unless GRRM decides to keep him dead just to spite the show, lol

Of course! I knew I'd missed someone! In that case I'd swap Jon for Mel except we'd need a pre resurrection PoV which means we need at least 1 Mel chapter. 

Hmm. Could work if we ignore the prologue (dead in same chapter) pov as a one off and not part of the 13. But that isn't how we've done it for past books so I don't know... 

Should we take 13 as set in stone or an approximate anyway? 

15 minutes ago, Crixus said:

Of course! I knew I'd missed someone! In that case I'd swap Jon for Mel except we'd need a pre resurrection PoV which means we need at least 1 Mel chapter. 

Hmm. Could work if we ignore the prologue (dead in same chapter) pov as a one off and not part of the 13. But that isn't how we've done it for past books so I don't know... 

Should we take 13 as set in stone or an approximate anyway? 

I wouldn't, seems like there's just too many characters. Heck I'm shocked Asha is still a POV, now that she's back with Theon.

I really don't think we can take 13 as the final number.  It was something approximate GRRM said off the top of his head when asked, and that too a few years ago. There's just way too many characters and stories for that.

However, the confirmation of Asha as a POV is big news. So the theory that Asha would be sacrificed in place of Theon in front of the heart tree can be laid to rest.

So unless Theon himself is sacrificed (unlikely), we're gonna definitely see Bran working some Old Gods' magic at that tree B)

On the other hand, the latest translation on reddit says that the Freys are brandishing Mors Umber's head on a spear to demoralize the enemy forces. It's really weird that Hother Umber would be cool with his brother's head being brandished around like that.

34 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I really don't think we can take 13 as the final number.  It was something approximate GRRM said off the top of his head when asked, and that too a few years ago. There's just way too many characters and stories for that.

However, the confirmation of Asha as a POV is big news. So the theory that Asha would be sacrificed in place of Theon in front of the heart tree can be laid to rest.

So unless Theon himself is sacrificed (unlikely), we're gonna definitely see Bran working some Old Gods' magic at that tree B)

On the other hand, the latest translation on reddit says that the Freys are brandishing Mors Umber's head on a spear to demoralize the enemy forces. It's really weird that Hother Umber would be cool with his brother's head being brandished around like that.

Just gives Manderly more allies, when you really think about it.

8 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

The Freys have always been so fecking stupid. Yes let's brandish an Umber's head while his brother is at our back. 

They are in the North surrounded and outnumbered by enemies and they still do shit like this? Really? They deserve to all die. 

51 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

The Freys have always been so fecking stupid. Yes let's brandish an Umber's head while his brother is at our back. 

They are in the North surrounded and outnumbered by enemies and they still do shit like this? Really? They deserve to all die. 

Their days are numbered, to be sure. I hope Stannis rewards their stupidity justly. They lost their best commander anyway.

9 hours ago, sifth said:

Just gives Manderly more allies, when you really think about it.

Just so.

21 hours ago, AlienCarnivore said:

There are four members left, one of them being Urswyck, who was Vargo Hoat's lieutenant, Zollo, the person who cut off Jaime's hand, and Three Toes and Togg Joth, who haven't done anything. But whether or not most of them are dead or alive is irrelevant; George said they would be back.

Oh, they'll be back. As Jaime told them when he left Harrenhal, a Lannister always pays his debts. 

22 hours ago, Crixus said:

Yes. A suicide mission. 

Asha

Sansa

Arya

Arianne

Jon C

Tyrion

Dany

Cersei

Aeron

Barristan

Theon

Prologue/Jenye

Areo, is also a likely POV. I know he isn't popular, but I don't think we'll lose eyes on Doran. Besides which he is currently chasing Darkstar, which I don't think will just be dropped. 

Davos another likely POV

Iirc Bran also has a confirmed chapter that one of his editors have read?

I don't think 13 was necessarily a concrete answer anyway

GRRM said that Areo Hotah would return as a POV character in TWOW. Bran had a chapter cut from ADWD that was originally going to be the chapter after Jon's final ADWD chapter, but GRRM cut it at the last minute apparently. I think it's likely it will be in TWOW.

ADWD; Jon IV

The Giantslayer disagreed. “You would make His Grace look weak. I say, show our strength. Burn Last Hearth to the ground and ride to war with Crowfood’s head mounted on a spear, as a lesson to the next lord who presumes to offer half his homage.”

Har.  <_<  

After 5 years of analysis, I thought the bone had been picked clean regarding foreshadowing in ADWD.  I wonder what else will prove to be foreshadowing once Winds is out.  

27 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Har.  <_<  

After 5 years of analysis, I thought the bone had been picked clean regarding foreshadowing in ADWD.  I wonder what else will prove to be foreshadowing once Winds is out.  

Har indeed!

Archived