The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

13 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Doesn't GRRM send in chapters for editing as soon as they are finished? IRRC that is the case for TWoW, at least.

I don't know. But even if he does, it would also take time to put them in the right order, double check all the details etc, and his editors would also go through the whole book anyway. Though sending chapter by chapter would spare some time, I guess.

On 9/6/2016 at 4:14 PM, Whitering said:

Me as well, I can't read that as anything other than he doesn't think he will finish before summer 2017. This book is not coming out in 2017 either...geeze lol

Cyberpunk probably won't be out that year either...damnit.

I agree, if he can't commit to something in July 2017, then it seems certain he's not finishing Winds this year, let alone getting it published this year.  If he thinks he may not be done by next July, that's close to a year away....then it seems there is a strong possibility the book won't make it out in 2017 at all, and best case is Q4 2017, and it has been a long, long time since GRRM hit 'best case'.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree, if he can't commit to something in July 2017, then it seems certain he's not finishing Winds this year, let alone getting it published this year.  If he thinks he may not be done by next July, that's close to a year away....then it seems there is a strong possibility the book won't make it out in 2017 at all, and best case is Q4 2017, and it has been a long, long time since GRRM hit 'best case'.

Yep, looks like we aren't getting it before Season 7 of the show, either. I hope against hope I'm proven wrong.

On 9/6/2016 at 7:20 PM, Whitering said:

I don't feel like ADWD had the same holding breath experience that Winds does. Feast was essentially half of a book, and we all knew the problem he had and that the book might come out soon after he solved it. Winds...well, Dance was not a complete novel was it? Winds will have the conclusions to major set ups in Dance, the timeline will merge back together and we will get back to a complete story.

Don't get me wrong. I log onto this site once or twice a day whilst bored at work, but otherwise, Winds doesn't sit in my mind anymore, I am far more anticipating Cyberpunk 2077, and I can only focus on one major anticipation at a time heh

I expect Winds to be like Storm. Whereas Storm brought the Stark-Lannister conflict to near conclusion and set up the Second Dance of the Dragons, I expect Winds to resolve the Second Dance of the Dragons and set up the War for the Dawn. 

4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I expect Winds to be like Storm. Whereas Storm brought the Stark-Lannister conflict to near conclusion and set up the Second Dance of the Dragons, I expect Winds to resolve the Second Dance of the Dragons and set up the War for the Dawn. 

I'm not so sure about that, LM.

GRRM has said previously that Dany will spend most of TWOW with the Dothraki, and that she may not even meet Tyrion until the end of the book. 

I think her last chapter of TWOW will end with her setting sail for Westeros. It's impossible, IMO with the number of storylines, POVs and characters, that the DotD will be resolved in TWOW. We're already have about 1/7th of the book (11 sample chapters) and even the Battles of Fire and Ice don't seem to be resolved yet.

1 minute ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I'm not so sure about that, LM.

GRRM has said previously that Dany will spend most of TWOW with the Dothraki, and that she may not even meet Tyrion until the end of the book. 

I think her last chapter of TWOW will end with her setting sail for Westeros. It's impossible, IMO with the number of storylines, POVs and characters, that the DotD will be resolved in TWOW. We're already have about 1/7th of the book (11 sample chapters) and even the Battle of Fire and Ice don't seem to be resolved yet.

Then we'll need another book. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Then we'll need another book. 

That's what I am expecting.

I genuinely doubt if GRRM has actually planned out the specifics of the Others and the War for the Dawn yet. We have decent hints on the Battles of Ice and Fire and how they might play out, and he's given us a general idea of how the DotD might go as well. But 5 books in, and we have nothing but crumbs on the Others - if this was all going to be resolved in  7 books, there should have been much better set-up by now.

And now i've made myself sad :(

10 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

That's what I am expecting.

I genuinely doubt if GRRM has actually planned out the specifics of the Others and the War for the Dawn yet. We have decent hints on the Battles of Ice and Fire and how they might play out, and he's given us a general idea of how the DotD might go as well. But 5 books in, and we have nothing but crumbs on the Others - if this was all going to be resolved in  7 books, there should have been much better set-up by now.

And now i've made myself sad :(

Just as he gave us some of the set up for the Second Dance of the Dragons in the ancillary novellas, I think he gave us quite a bit in The World of Ice and Fire. And he could give us even more in additional Tales of Dunk and Egg, especially with the events of Summerhall. 

Whenever I think The George doesn't have most of the details worked out, I consider this line from early in Game...

Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name. 

(Gardener writing style, my a$s.)

On 07/09/2016 at 0:20 AM, Whitering said:

I don't feel like ADWD had the same holding breath experience that Winds does. Feast was essentially half of a book, and we all knew the problem he had and that the book might come out soon after he solved it. Winds...well, Dance was not a complete novel was it? Winds will have the conclusions to major set ups in Dance, the timeline will merge back together and we will get back to a complete story.

Don't get me wrong. I log onto this site once or twice a day whilst bored at work, but otherwise, Winds doesn't sit in my mind anymore, I am far more anticipating Cyberpunk 2077, and I can only focus on one major anticipation at a time heh

Easily, the wait for ADWD was far more controversial and vitriolic than the wait for TWoW has been. There is simply no contest between the two. With ADWD there were full-scale flame wars every five minutes, and the clamour for the book was much louder than it has been for TWoW.

The reasons for that I ascribe to George's aspiration that the book would be out one year after AFFC, which meant that people could happily rage on him for being 1/2/3/4 etc years "late", whilst for TWoW no estimate has ever been given and the precedent of three previous novels taking 5+ years each seems to have resulted in a much resigned state of affairs. In addition, it feels like a lot of the discussion and energy that would have been devoted to The Wait has instead been taken up by the TV show instead.

I guess the manuscript is probably finished, but it could take months for editors and correctors to complete the work. Probably some chapters would be put aside for ADoS etc. It's wholla lotta of work to prepare a manuscript for publication.

Nope. George will tell us when the manuscript is finished.

When it comes to editing, George edits as he goes along and periodically submits chunks of the book to his editor for her to work on whilst he is still writing new material. This allows for a much faster turn-around once the book is completed. For ASoS and ADWD, the turn-around from final submission to publication was about 2.5 months. For AFFC it was 5 months.

23 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

ASOS set up the Second Dance? I don't think so - that was ADWD, where "Aegon" first appeared as a living person.

23 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I think her last chapter of TWOW will end with her setting sail for Westeros. It's impossible, IMO with the number of storylines, POVs and characters, that the DotD will be resolved in TWOW. We're already have about 1/7th of the book (11 sample chapters) and even the Battles of Fire and Ice don't seem to be resolved yet.

but does that mean that she is in Vaes Dothrak all the time? I think she takes the Dothraki with her when she conquers Volantis - and then sets sail with them to Westeros.

the last scene of TWOW I expect Dany to land on Dragonstone, standing before the Painted Table and giving a speech to her commanders on the Second Conquest.

9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yes, the Blackfyre Rebellion gets mentioned for the first time in the 3rd book, but that's hardly set up for another Dance of the Dragons. Even if Aegon is a Blackfyre, it still sets up nothing, all it really tells us for the first time in the story is a little bit of the history of the Blackfyre's and not a whole lot else.

On 9/8/2016 at 10:17 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Just as he gave us some of the set up for the Second Dance of the Dragons in the ancillary novellas, I think he gave us quite a bit in The World of Ice and Fire. And he could give us even more in additional Tales of Dunk and Egg, especially with the events of Summerhall. 

Whenever I think The George doesn't have most of the details worked out, I consider this line from early in Game...

(Gardener writing style, my a$s.)

What a depressing last Dunk and Egg novel that would be lol

• 2 weeks later...
On July 14, 2016 at 8:51 AM, sifth said:

Well the only other choice for the Battle of Ice is Theon and he would have to tell us what's going on from the side lines, because it honestly looks like his fighting days are done.

I forget what fingers Ramsay removed but I'm pretty sure Theon might still be able to pull a bow.

Archived