The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but was a new chapter released with the new iTunes enhanced edition of Game of Thrones? Some of the articles announcing its release said there was an except, but I haven't seen anything more than that. 

On 2016. 10. 02. at 10:51 PM, Anarchy99 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but was a new chapter released with the new iTunes enhanced edition of Game of Thrones? Some of the articles announcing its release said there was an except, but I haven't seen anything more than that. 

Couldn't find any info on what chapter is included, but I have read that all 5 book will have a preview chapter from winds (they will all be published until March 2017) so I doubt that the chapters will be new ones. Maybe we get some of those that were previusly only read at events, not published in full text.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2016 at 9:47 AM, BryndenBFish said:

The chapter from the Apple Version of A GAME OF THRONES will be Mercy.

Thank you for the clarification.  As folks probably know, this was a previously released chapter on GRRM's website, and therefore there is no need to get the iBook if all you wanted was the aDwW chapter therein.

• 1 month later...

I was bored, so I figured out the word counts for all released spoiler chapters (that we have transcripts for) and did my best to translate this into an estimate for their Hardcover page count (owning both HC and digital copies of the books made it easy).  I wanted to see how much of Winds GRRM has given away, basically.  Putting the depths of my obsession on display here, but screw it, I ran the numbers, might as well share them.

My "key" for translating word count into HC page count:

Alayne (AFFC) = 10,373 words; longest chapter in series
Dany 7 (ADWD) = 6302 (14 HC pages/ 13.5 really) 
5400  = 12 pages/11.5 really
4788 = 10 pages

Didn't write down the names of the chapters I got the last two from for some reason, now I forgot.  Anyway, George has released/read publicly 11 chapters.  We have transcripts for 8.5 of them, since the Victarion chapter is only about half transcribed.  Here are the numbers and my HC page count estimates for them:

Theon = 6239 words; 14 HC pages
The Forsaken = 5288; 12 pages
Arianne 1 = 5019; 11 pages
Arianne 2 = 5999; 13 pages
Mercy = 6107; 14 pages
Alayne = 6799; 15 pages
Barristan 1 = 3261; 8 pages
Victarion 1 = 1426 (partial; ending missing); 8 pages (3000 words assumed; simply doubled existing count)
Tyrion 2 = 4513; 10 pages

I assumed Vic would be in the area of 3000 words when finished, seemed reasonable.  Final tally:

9 chapters; 46,225 words (44,651 without assuming 3000 for Vic); ~105 Hardcover pages total

ASOS was 424k words, so Martin is on pace for 82-83 chapters.  

Now, obviously word count is not an accurate indicator of page count, but the numbers should be approximately correct.  I doubt I would be off by more than 15 pages in either direction.  

Also, obviously the battle chapters are quite short.  The battles should be finished early in the book, so Martin might have a higher words per chapter average for the remaining chapters after the battles are done.  That would put him on pace for less than the 82-83 chapters I've calculated from this sample size.  But hopefully Martin can keep his chapter lengths shorter than usual, so we get an ASOS paced novel (which was also 82 chapters).   

The 2 chapters we don't have transcripts for are Tyrion 1 and Barristan 2.  If we assume those 2 chapters are the same length as their counterparts (Tyrion 2 and Barristan 1, respectively), then we get a word count of 11 chapters; ~54,000 words.  That would put him on pace for 86 chapters, which would eclipse ASOS....one can dream.  

Got that bit of nerdage out of my system now.  Man, I really fucking need a new book. :blush: 

Well, I sympathise.

At the same time I conclude that once again, another year has ( nearly) gone by, and Winds is still "in process". 

No one knows how far he is, and whether 2017, which once seemed so far away that by now it had surely be released, will even bring the book.

6 hours ago, AlienCarnivore said:

So, when will we have waited the longest for any A Song of Ice and Fire book? It would be in March, correct? I can't believe Winds will most likely take longer to finish and get published than A Dance with Dragons. That's just insane.

We're nearing that point. I think if we don't get the book by this July it will be 6 years since the last book came out.

16 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Did someone claim to have a scoop?

A link to a post on a gossip site.  It basically just said 'a sequel to a popular book series will be released in the first half of 2017.'  Poster thought it was about Winds.  I don't think the poster was trolling, just being (naively) hopeful.  

I looked through that sites "blind items revealed" archive, and the site actually does seem legit regarding entertainment rumors...but the wording for that particular post is so vague that it can literally be any popular series.  So not worth getting hyped over.

Back to refreshing Not a Blog 20 times a day.  -_-   

16 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

A link to a post on a gossip site.  It basically just said 'a sequel to a popular book series will be released in the first half of 2017.'  Poster thought it was about Winds.  I don't think the poster was trolling, just being (naively) hopeful.  

I looked through that sites "blind items revealed" archive, and the site actually does seem legit regarding entertainment rumors...but the wording for that particular post is so vague that it can literally be any popular series.  So not worth getting hyped over.

Back to refreshing Not a Blog 20 times a day.  -_-   

Ha!  I search 'Winds of Winter Release Date' at least once a day for the past 11 months....... There are several new articles printed online EVERY SINGLE DAY.  SO annoying!!! They are all wrong, with zero credible information as far as I can tell.  Many have been saying recently that Winds and Dream will be published together (Heavy Eye Roll).  Obviously that is crazy talk.  But good Gods I do hope WoW comes out before Season 7......I dont think I can take another GD terrible season without some extraordinary writing to compare it to.

Yup just continually refresh Not A Blog all day every day (gun to head Emoji).

[mod] Let's be clear. This thread is not a thread to speculate about GRRM's progress: we don't have such a thread and this isn't it. Nor is it a thread to discuss GRRM's schedule. This is a resource thread, which means it's for information, not speculation or discussion: please stick to that. [/mod]

ETA - the above is not open for debate. Sorry, but this is final.

GRRM talked a bit about TWoW at the Guadalajara Book Fair, saying, among other things, that:

The Forsaken is a dark chapter, but there are a lot of dark chapters in TWOW right now. Winter is when things die. Cold and ice and darkness fills the world. This is not going to be the happy feel good book that people may be hoping for. Some of the characters are in very dark places. Things are getting worse for a lot of people.

As if things weren't grim enough already in the books. :D

PS: Credit to @BryndenBFish

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

GRRM talked a bit about TWoW at the Guadalajara Book Fair, saying, among other things, that:

As if things weren't grim enough already in the books. :D

PS: Credit to @BryndenBFish

Thanks. Through you and BrydenBFish I was led to the Q & A. The intro is in Spanish. The Q & A is English.

18 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Thanks. Through you and BrydenBFish I was led to the Q & A. The intro is in Spanish. The Q & A is English.

Thank you for the link, just looked and listened through the video for over an hour. The closer the questions to the ASOIAF novel, the shorter the answers, in general. So GRRM still tries to avoid revealing things. Here some Things I noted as being of interest:

• no visit to Asshai planned, but some more information given to us on Asshai through Melisandre
  • Long answer on how GRRM would have liked Gandalf in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings stay dead, as he thinks that would have been a good situation leaving all Gandalf's company alone without the wizard, who in fact had all the necessary knowledge to proceed, This makes me personally re-adjust my wager on a re-surrection of Jon Snow.
  • On his writing speed: GRRM says that in all his other books, once he had come to see the end (the "finishing line", getting over the top of the hill) he would normally speed up in writing. In ASOIAF he still was not at that point.
  • When asked which religion he personally would choose in Westeros, he first answered "The Seven", as it was the most common Religion with most Followers; then made a short remark oo R'hollor (with its force to attract People through Magic, i.e. resurrection); but finally ended by pointing out that the Faceless Men's God (God of death) was "a God we should pay attention to".
  • asked for the content of Lyanna Stark's word in the Tower of Joy he refused to reveal it.

Archived