The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

On 11/01/2017 at 1:06 PM, Cas Stark said:

GRRM idea of 'clearing his schedule' is, um, unusual according to me, LOL.  But, yes, his schedule has been 'cleared' for quite some time now, 2 years isn't it, since he quit writing for the show?  And yes again, his affect was totally flat.  He doesn't want to be questioned about Winds and his now so divorced from the idea of trying to get the book out in the near future, that he isn't even frustrated anymore.  He's accepted it.  2019 is when we will see it.  After the show wraps.

And as eager - desperate is a more accurate word here but it just sounds so... well, desperate! - as I am to read it, I'd be 100% totally fine with the bold. And you know why! :P

Once the show was launched I was sure we would not see the last book until after the show ended, now I am not sure we will ever see it because I think there are 3 books left, not two. If there is two I am counting on 2025...so, if there is 3 more or less the same timeline. I do wonder if some of the trouble he is running into is how to wrap things up neatly and in a satisfying way in just two books. You don't want to turn it into a Blackadder sketch with offing people left and right too quickly.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:07 AM, HairGrowsBack said:

Well, yeah, he's a slow writer, we all knew that. I'm more worried about his motivation than anything else, to be honest. If he is just a procrastinator and a perfectionnist, then by all means let him take his time. However, if he is starting to lose interest in the series, we're basically done for.

If he had lost interest in the series then he would have published two final mediocre books a long time ago and been done with it.

On 12.1.2017 at 9:22 PM, SuperMario said:

Meaning that an orderly writer who uses outlines with ideas and plot and character flows could get to the same conclusion versus one who writes a few hundred pages only to scrap it and start over. He theoretically scraps ideas because they don't eventually flow with other storylines or there are continuity errors. By planning it out with some outlines for each character, he would save months and months of time instead of going down rabbit hole after rabbit hole to eventually just say fuck it. All writers go through changes and revisions to chapters, but to write hundreds of pages only to scrap it and start over is poor planning, and one of the main reasons we don't and will not have the book for quite some time.

I am not a writer myself, but I know that you cannot simply change your writing style. The way you write is not a deliberate choice. at least if you want to achieve the best outcome possible. @mormont is absolutely right there.

but my point was: it is not for us to demant apologies etc from George. of course, I am also disappointed, frustrated and sometimes angry that the book is not yet in my shelf - I've wanted it for years. 

but it is not for me (and us) to demand that another shall work to make me happy.
it is not for me to demand apologies when George has difficulties to bring this story to paper.

because that is what I really want - and what we all are here for:
we know that George can write extraordinary tales, rich in detail, with many persons we care for and whose arces and plots perfectly fit together. and we want the same also for Winds.
but this takes time. and we have to give him this time.

On 14/01/2017 at 6:50 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

GRRM will be remembered for ASOIAF, not for any other of his works. He better finish it soon, for the sake of his own legacy.

I disagree. Fevre Dream is one of the greatest vampire novels of the twentieth century.

11 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I disagree. Fevre Dream is one of the greatest vampire novels of the twentieth century.

9 hours ago, FreeParking said:

Whether you like it or not, GRRM will not be remembered for Fevre Dream.

I'm going to have to agree with both of you on this one. I though Fever Dream was an amazing read, but underappreciated, and somewhat lost and hidden by the shadow of the great Kong. GRRM will obviously be remembered for ASOIAF, while many of his other brilliant works will always be overlooked.

@Túrin the Turambar

Well said, I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, FreeParking said:

Whether you like it or not, GRRM will not be remembered for Fevre Dream.

It's a bit early to say how Martin will be remembered in a hundred years, or even if he gets remembered at all (ever heard of Abraham Merritt?). I mentioned Fevre Dream because it is clear at this point that vampires have literary staying-power.

Hi!

The wiki is a bit ambigous, so... The Tyrion chapter is the first or the second Tyrion chapter?

Did someone hear the chapters from the conventions who can tell?

Nevermind I found info that it's the second. (The first happens during the trebuchet shoots)
Someone, could disambiguate the wiki.

PS:

So the chapters that were only read and never released are inaccessible, right? I guess someone could have sneak recorded them, but I don't have high hopes. I found a transcript of a Victarion chapter, but came up empty for Tyrion.

1 hour ago, Whitering said:

One day I will visit this thread and the book release date will have been announced. Alas, today is not that day.

If it's some consolation. It's looks like we'll get another novella in October:

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Swords-Gardner-Dozois/dp/0399593764/

37 minutes ago, A bowl of brown said:

Didn't GRRM say he wouldn't be working on anything else apart from Wild Cards editing until tWoW was finished? Some cause for optimism possibly.

There's always a good chance it's just material that was cut from the World Book. GRRM apparently wrote so much stuff he plans to make another one, after he completes A Dream of Spring.

5 hours ago, sifth said:

There's always a good chance it's just material that was cut from the World Book. GRRM apparently wrote so much stuff he plans to make another one, after he completes A Dream of Spring.

Yes, there is a thread over in the General section where different users discuss what kind of story it could be. 

Saw something similar on Reddit and the majority of people seems to believe that it's something that GRRM already wrote a while back. 

On 22-1-2017 at 5:14 PM, mzso said:

Hi!

The wiki is a bit ambigous, so... The Tyrion chapter is the first or the second Tyrion chapter?

Did someone hear the chapters from the conventions who can tell?

Nevermind I found info that it's the second. (The first happens during the trebuchet shoots)
Someone, could disambiguate the wiki.

PS:

So the chapters that were only read and never released are inaccessible, right? I guess someone could have sneak recorded them, but I don't have high hopes. I found a transcript of a Victarion chapter, but came up empty for Tyrion.

On which page isn't it clear which Tyrion chapter the sample chapter is?

Archived