The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

1 minute ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

On which page isn't it clear which Tyrion chapter the sample chapter is?

I was thinking of: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Winds_of_Winter

But maybe it's just me who didn't comprehend this part " Tyrion II (listed as "Tyrion I" in A World of Ice and Fire) " It wasn't clear to me if it was the first or the second.

On 1/29/2017 at 10:27 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

On which page isn't it clear which Tyrion chapter the sample chapter is?

@rhaenys I believe the user means the WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE app. But to clear it up, the sample on the app is TYRION II. GRRM read TYRION I at Eastercon and Miscon in 2012 which can be found among the sample chapters at the top of the page.

On 29-1-2017 at 4:42 PM, mzso said:

I was thinking of: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Winds_of_Winter

But maybe it's just me who didn't comprehend this part " Tyrion II (listed as "Tyrion I" in A World of Ice and Fire) " It wasn't clear to me if it was the first or the second.

14 hours ago, BryndenBFish said:

@rhaenys I believe the user means the WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE app. But to clear it up, the sample on the app is TYRION II. GRRM read TYRION I at Eastercon and Miscon in 2012 which can be found among the sample chapters at the top of the page.

Ah yes, the app calls the Tyrion II chapter Tyrion I for some strange reason. I thought the wiki's statement was clear, but if anyone has a suggestion to clear it up further, please do say so! :)

On 1/22/2017 at 9:32 AM, Moondancer said:

So, it could be that the blind item was legit. :) how novel, blind items about pub date of a fantasy book. We live in interesting times. 

Nah, that gossip site "revealed" what book the blind was about and it wasn't Winds.  It was Oathbreaker by Brandon Sanderson....which is an odd one to write a blind about since Sanderson is the most transparent author around.  Progress bar on his website, gives regular reddit updates, etc.  His fans already knew that book was done and scheduled for next year.  

So, no hope from that source.  

30 minutes ago, Kennith E Perry said:

I'm just wondering when it will be published? It's been so long since the last book, I'm just worried fans could just give up on waiting. It doesn't matter to me because it gives me time to finally read all of Wheel of Time series but I do hope he publishes soon. 

Nobody knows, and I hope you enjoy the Wheel of Time.

On 2/10/2017 at 1:20 PM, Kennith E Perry said:

I'm just wondering when it will be published? It's been so long since the last book, I'm just worried fans could just give up on waiting. It doesn't matter to me because it gives me time to finally read all of Wheel of Time series but I do hope he publishes soon. 

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

• 2 weeks later...

It occurred to me tonight that as of this May, this will officially be the longest wait between ASOIAF books. With 5 years and 10 months in May, Winds will beat Dance's infamous record of 5 years and 9 months (from the original UK release in Oct 2005 of Feast to Dance in July 2011).

What's even sadder? I re-read his Not a Blog post from New Years 2016, and we are coming up on the two year anniversary of around the time he came up with his deadline to have it completed - May 2015. In that post he also mentioned he has hundreds of pages and dozens of chapters written. We are 14 months past that and nowhere closer to seeing the finished book.

Winds is going to destroy Dance's 5 years and 9 months. In all likelihood, we won't see Winds until after the show ends, so say we get a release of October 2018, we'd be looking at 7 years and 3 months between Dance and Winds. And that is being optimistic for an October 2018 release.

On 2/24/2017 at 3:07 AM, Big Daddy said:

It occurred to me tonight that as of this May, this will officially be the longest wait between ASOIAF books. With 5 years and 10 months in May, Winds will beat Dance's infamous record of 5 years and 9 months (from the original UK release in Oct 2005 of Feast to Dance in July 2011).

So much for the Meereen knot excuse of why Dance took so long.  I think Winds is going to beat Dance's record by a long shot, like by a year or two.  I guess it's possible GRRM will give some kind of update after Season 7 of the show finishes, but at this point, with no word since Jan. 2016, I doubt it comes out in 2017, though it's still possible I guess.

31 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

So much for the Meereen knot excuse of why Dance took so long.

The Meereenese knot was why Dance took a long time. There are likely to be other story problems that explain why Winds has taken a long time, ones that GRRM hasn't given a catchy name but that he's struggling with just the same.

That's the process, unfortunately. Sometimes you get over one obstacle and then hit another.

20 hours ago, Ser Kinslayer said:

Eh, the wait isn't that bad when you have other hobbies. I might be preoccupied with the new Nintendo Switch to worry about the WoW coming out anytime this year. Let's hope that this book really will be 1500 pages. That would explain one of the reasons why it's taking so long to write.

Same here. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be occupying my time and focus for the foreseeable future.

I'm a little sad to see such a lack of visible progress (the stickied TWoW thread in the Dance subforum being the worst - last updated April 2015), but that feeling is overshadowed by my astonishment of the activity still going on across the forums. There have been posts in, what, forty different threads in the past 24 hours, in the General subforum alone?

I honestly can't imagine that there exists a single aspect of the series that hasn't been touched upon yet on these boards. Heck, there have been one hundred sixty-three threads on R+L=J alone. Have we really not exhausted every possible talking point yet? There is only a finite number of sentences in the books, surely every single one has been combed over a thousand times already?

But, as I said, this is something I can't imagine. And I think the fault lies with my imagination, rather than the fandom. It's good to see that the pressure is kept up, and that fans are still buzzing. The Winds of Winter, when it arrives, will be welcomed by crowds of fans (And I guess every single plot point in it will have been predicted by at least one theory thread on these boards). It's great to see that the community is still going strong, despite the lack of information on when the series will continue.

20 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

I'm a little sad to see such a lack of visible progress (the stickied TWoW thread in the Dance subforum being the worst - last updated April 2015), but that feeling is overshadowed by my astonishment of the activity still going on across the forums. There have been posts in, what, forty different threads in the past 24 hours, in the General subforum alone?

I honestly can't imagine that there exists a single aspect of the series that hasn't been touched upon yet on these boards. Heck, there have been one hundred sixty-three threads on R+L=J alone. Have we really not exhausted every possible talking point yet? There is only a finite number of sentences in the books, surely every single one has been combed over a thousand times already?

But, as I said, this is something I can't imagine. And I think the fault lies with my imagination, rather than the fandom. It's good to see that the pressure is kept up, and that fans are still buzzing. The Winds of Winter, when it arrives, will be welcomed by crowds of fans (And I guess every single plot point in it will have been predicted by at least one theory thread on these boards). It's great to see that the community is still going strong, despite the lack of information on when the series will continue.

I think it might be a condition or syndrome for many. It satisfies an itch. For many, I think if they constantly talk about the theories and prophecies, it distracts them from the more important concerns - when will the book come out, or will this series ever actually get finished. Because otherwise, I have no idea how people can constantly talk about theories, many of which will never have a resolution.

GRRM posted on his blog today that he hopes he can finish the series in 7 books. He always told us before it would be 7 books. Now, he is doubting himself. This series went from 3 books, to 6 books, to 7 books, to hopefully 7 books, (which in GRRM speak, means definitely more than 7 books.) Which equates to never seeing the series ending except on TV.

So back to the original point, I have no idea why people continue to postulate over so many things that will ultimately be dead ends.

Well, right from the end of Dance I was certain it would be three more books, he's always been a bit deluded on that front, so if he is coming around that's good. My only problem is the 6 years between books. I am also quite sure HBO will get the only ending this series will ever receive. Ah well.

31 minutes ago, Whitering said:

Well, right from the end of Dance I was certain it would be three more books, he's always been a bit deluded on that front, so if he is coming around that's good. My only problem is the 6 years between books. I am also quite sure HBO will get the only ending this series will ever receive. Ah well.

I didn't admit that it was going to be 3 more books until the author started leaking information about the content of Winds, like multiple Dothraki chapters, Dany and Tyrion not meeting until near the end of the book, and releasing a lot of chapters where the pace and tone is slow....and then it became clear to me that we weren't going to see a return to the faster pacing of earlier books, but were sticking with the pacing of Feast and Dance...which to me means it's impossible for him to finish in 7 books.  Also, the author's inability to accurately predict how long 'three months' of writing was going to take is another red flag to me that he's not in the 'zone' on this book for whatever reasons.  

But I agree that when GRRM says he 'hopes' he finishes in 7 books you can take it to the bank that it will be 8 or more. 

Archived