The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

1 hour ago, Whitering said:

Well, I believe we are too late if he announces when he's sent the book to editors to have it out this year, as this is going to be a large book and require some amount of time to edit. So, next year maybe, not as depressing to me as Cyberpunk likely getting bumped to 2019.

But it is also - and I don't think this is hyperbole - one of, if not the, most anticipated books in the world right now. The publishing house would be willing to put practically anything else aside to free up resources for Winds. Judging by the 1/1 2016 announcement, it seems like they would be able to force it through editing, clean-up and printing in 2-3 months.

However, if you're talking about taking all the readily-written chapters that comprise the book, and editing it into something narratively flowing? As in, not writing the final script, but assembling it? That process might take a lot of time. For all we know, it has been going on for a while already. I haven't got the impression that GRRM would announce being finished until he has the book written and structured.

On Invalid Date at 4:34 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

But it is also - and I don't think this is hyperbole - one of, if not the, most anticipated books in the world right now. The publishing house would be willing to put practically anything else aside to free up resources for Winds. Judging by the 1/1 2016 announcement, it seems like they would be able to force it through editing, clean-up and printing in 2-3 months.

However, if you're talking about taking all the readily-written chapters that comprise the book, and editing it into something narratively flowing? As in, not writing the final script, but assembling it? That process might take a lot of time. For all we know, it has been going on for a while already. I haven't got the impression that GRRM would announce being finished until he has the book written and structured.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought GRRM has said that he would announce on his blog when he has finished writing it - basically when it has been sent to the editors not after that was all complete and ready for publication. So I take it as the fact that nothing has been announced means he is still writing/re-writing the initial draft and it has not gone through any editing.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:22 AM, BryndenBFish said:

From my reading of what transpired between George and his publisher, they told George to wrap it up in short order. George cut one sequence (Probably the Battle of Winterfell as there were fewer completed chapters), and Anne Groell told George to cut another sequences (The Battle of Meereen), and GRRM did .

Interesting, I would think the opposite since the central conundrum of the meereenese knot has always been how to get Dany to arrive with her dothraki army at the battle of meereen. The original plan being for her to leave meereen on dragon fleeing the fighting pit in her first DWD chapter and return for the end of book battle with her army. Since this was never solved it seems that the "solution" was to create two battles for meereen, the first about to occur, for which dany is obviously not returning, and the second when she does return to claim her birthright of fire and blood. But I would think that this scenario means that perpetual editorial problem child meereen was probably the first of the two sequences axed, even though it had completed content from three povs. Given the extreme page count gap between the final two dany chapters there were probably several chapters with her and the dothraki, but not enough to meet George's goal of getting her back to meereen at the same time as everyone else. So if you add a half dozen missing dany chapters (probably three more or less completed) it becomes an even more understandable early cut as it is the logical cut that makes the novel publishable. So it is the most necessarily and earliest cut to make if deciding between the two sequences.

the battle of winter fell would then logically be the second sequence axed especially as all the posts about "shoveling snow" occurred in the months prior to the dance publication announcement . Eventually they realized they couldn't get stannis to winterfell and ultimately opted for the dramatic trade off of shireen for snow, deciding to not kill both off in successive chapters and end the book on all dramatic downers, the north storyline also used a dramatic sleight of hand with the "optimistic" leap from winterfell for the same purposes, it allowed them to resolve stories with an editorially managed flow which increases the impact of the Julius Caesar moment (otherwise, you could easily lessen that impact in an ocean (glacier?) of northern misery).

all that means that I think editorial attention was heavily focused on the north in the final days of writing and assembling dance, resulting in the outcome of the first battle of winterfell also being moved out of the book.

On 05.06.2017 at 4:15 PM, SuperMario said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought GRRM has said that he would announce on his blog when he has finished writing it - basically when it has been sent to the editors not after that was all complete and ready for publication. So I take it as the fact that nothing has been announced means he is still writing/re-writing the initial draft and it has not gone through any editing.

He did send partials to Anne Groell for editing. As I understand it, he needs to do that to get his contractual payment.

14 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

He did send partials to Anne Groell for editing. As I understand it, he needs to do that to get his contractual payment.

Yeah, I do believe that is true, though, he could feasibly change those chapters after he submitted them. So sending them to her doesn't really mean much in the end.

It's like the movie Funny Farm where Chevy Chase is supposed to have submitted his manuscript for the novel he was paid a large check in advance to write, but the novel was shit. So instead he submits his wife's children's book that had already been sent to another publisher.

I think editors/publishers will take whatever they can get sometimes just to meet the contractual agreement.

On 30/05/2017 at 9:56 PM, Cas Stark said:

That's a great update.

In terms of 'news' I would assume that at some point this year, the lack of an announcement by GRRM, if that's how things go, by some time in the late Summer/early Fall would/should qualify as news, because lack of an announcement by I would guess August or September would mean that Winds won't be released in 2017, and that seems like it would be news.  

No.

The absence of news is never news, in the same way as an empty plate isn't a meal.

On 05/06/2017 at 3:15 PM, SuperMario said:

It has always been GRRM's practice to send chapters to his editors as he writes, and for that matter to do a lot of the editing himself during the writing process. So in his case, as with a lot of authors, it's not as linear as writing -> editing -> publish.

But yes, when the MS is complete GRRM will say so publicly: the release date will then be up to the publishers.

On Invalid Date at 6:46 AM, lokisnow said:

the battle of winter fell would then logically be the second sequence axed especially as all the posts about "shoveling snow" occurred in the months prior to the dance publication announcement . Eventually they realized they couldn't get stannis to winterfell and ultimately opted for the dramatic trade off of shireen for snow, deciding to not kill both off in successive chapters and end the book on all dramatic downers, the north storyline also used a dramatic sleight of hand with the "optimistic" leap from winterfell for the same purposes, it allowed them to resolve stories with an editorially managed flow which increases the impact of the Julius Caesar moment (otherwise, you could easily lessen that impact in an ocean (glacier?) of northern misery).

Shireen in the books is nowhere close to Stannis army, so I don´t think that could play any role.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 2:34 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

I do not believe this is the way books are published, there is one or two editors for a book, and in this case, Elio and Linda as well, and that's it. They do not pull 50 people in to edit an established series. The editors have to be familiar with the series to a greater extent than most, they catch things, or try to, like character's eye colour, and help provide structure to the book, which greatly helps with tone, like moving chapters around and such.

Last night in a notablog comment, GRRM re-emphasizes that the books and show will parallel and be different, also talks about characters who were never featured in GoT that exist in his universe:

WINDS will be different in some ways, but will parallel the show in others. At this point, there are probably a dozen characters who are dead on the show but alive in the books, so it would be impossible for the two to remain the same. (Also, of course, there are characters in the books who have never even existed on the show, like Victarion Greyjoy, Jon Connington, Penny, Arianne Martell... )

No major or new development but interesting all the same.

3 hours ago, BryndenBFish said:

Last night in a notablog comment, GRRM re-emphasizes that the books and show will parallel and be different, also talks about characters who were never featured in GoT that exist in his universe:

It seems more notable for what he didn't say, but that's me.  

16 hours ago, BryndenBFish said:

I may have missed this, but in a new notablog post, GRRM reaffirms his commitment to getting WoW done:

Look, I probably won't be writing episodes of ANY television shows until WINDS OF WINTER is done and delivered, and that goes for the five GAME OF THRONES successor shows as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...

source

Generously assuming a turnaround of ~ three months from manuscript delivery to publication, the manuscript would have to be finished in just a month to make it by 22 december. I think news would read differently if completion was this close.

29 minutes ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

In other words: 2017 is totally out of the question either way? As in, it's practically confirmed from official sources that the novel will not be released this year?

The way he was hedging his statements, even 2018 doesn't look likely.  

He's been "months away" since 2015.  

Yes, this is George ruling out a 2017 release, which at this juncture was pretty fanciful. It sounds like it is possible we will get both books in 2018, or only one (which could be either one), and possibly neither.

This is George pouring a great big pail of cold water on expectations, possibly to avoid the craziness we had last year (when people went mental for a New Year's update). It's not impossible he's deliberately overdone it, and we may get better news next year, but right now TWoW is not coming out in 2017 or early 2018.

Fire and Blood coming out earlier...this should have been predictable. We know he wrote 80,000 words on the Dance of Dragons alone, and tens of thousands more words on the Conquest, on Maegor and Aenys, on the Old King. Fire and Blood being 400,000-odd words long was never really going to be doable, so it makes sense for them to publish what he's effectively already written and completed years ago as Volume I and then hold fire on Volume II until after the main series is done. And I think the main series has to be done first, because this now means that he can got into a lot more detail in Volume II on Robert's Rebellion and will probably want to avoid spoilers for the main series. 

Archived