BryndenBFish

The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

226 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

His most recent blog post that mentions Winds is from yesterday.  That seems like news to me. 

Yes, but nearly a page lamenting "his priorities" is not. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

His most recent blog post that mentions Winds is from yesterday.  That seems like news to me. 

That's not a blog post. That's a comment on a blog post. There's a small, but significant, difference: comments aren't announcements. They're off-hand and spontaneous, and need to be treated as such.

8 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Thanks for the link. For someone who claims to have cleared his schedule of pretty much everything non-ASOIAF about 2 years ago according to other blog posts from him, his schedule sure seems pretty full.

That isn't his schedule. It's a list of past collaborations, operative word being 'past'. The only two current ones are editing projects, and only one of those is active, and we already discussed that. Accordingly, it is not news.

Edited by mormont

On 19.03.2017 at 4:58 PM, Equilibrium said:

Even though I should have known better by now, I think TWOW edges closer to completion.

Wow. That is what I call an optimistic conclusion.

Posted (edited)

On 3/19/2017 at 1:48 PM, Werthead said:

George made it abundantly clear that he does not want to talk about WINDS until there is something concrete to report. He has said that a 2017 release is possible, which is encouraging, but not certain, which is less so.

As we've said many (thousands) of times before, taking GRRM's statements and running them through mystical translations and applying tea leaves to the situation is not very helpful and, by precedent, frequently wrong. In January 2011 people were crying that the book would never be done and George's statements were negative and he was talking too much about Wild Cards and he'd sold out to the TV company and the book was out six months later.

@Werthead To be fair, George wasn't pulling peoples' legs in January 2011. He was still writing Dance, and he thought he had a long ways to go. Namely, GRRM still had two major sequences that were unfinished and set to close out ADWD -- Battle of Winterfell + Battle of Meereen and both sequences were far from being finished. From my reading of what transpired between George and his publisher, they told George to wrap it up in short order. George cut one sequence (Probably the Battle of Winterfell as there were fewer completed chapters), and Anne Groell told George to cut another sequences (The Battle of Meereen), and GRRM did .

Back in 2011, Anne said:

Finishing this book where he absolutely wanted to end it would have taken probably another year and more pages than could be realistically bound between two covers. - Anne Groell, Suvudu Interview, 7/7/2011

So, back in January 2011, GRRM probably thought he had another year or so of writing ahead of him. Looking back at it now, I wish that George had spent another year writing the battles instead of cutting the story off where he did.

Edited by BryndenBFish

[mod] Since there seems to be some debate, let's clarify a point or two.

This particular thread is a resource thread. It's intended for posting information about TWOW, as the OP makes clear. Speculation is not information.

In general, we discuss news about TWOW if and when there is news. When there isn't, we don't. If there's no news, there's nothing to discuss. Speculation isn't news, either.

If anyone has questions or comments about the moderation policies on the board, they are asked to direct these to the moderators privately.

Thanks. [/mod]