BryndenBFish

The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

348 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

George just said Fire and Blood volume 1 will come out before Winds:  Link

And if you'll recall, he gave the release window for F&B as late 2018 to early 2019....so that means no Winds in 2018.  

Quite the clusterfuck this situation has become.  

I am shocked.

That means we probably won t have winds before 2020 or 2021 because in 2019 he will be advertising F&B, saying goodbye to got and preparing the sequels. I doubt he will have much time to write...

Rip asoiaf =(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

George just said Fire and Blood volume 1 will come out before Winds:  Link

And if you'll recall, he gave the release window for F&B as late 2018 to early 2019....so that means no Winds in 2018.  

Quite the clusterfuck this situation has become.  

Dunno. In July 2017 Martin posted this on NaB:

"And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream."

So, 6-7 months ago he didn't know which would be out first, and now apparently he does. This means he probably has an idea/knows when F&B vol 1 will be published, and maybe has a better idea on a finish line for Winds. Also, this was greatly expected, no? He's made it clear that F&B vol 1 was practically done yrs ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never expected him to get Winds out this year.  But, if he doesn't get F&I out until 2019, then we may not see Winds for another couple of years after that. When I first came to this forum people would jokingly say he wasn't getting it out until 2023, that may turn out to be on the money.  Add me to the RIP a song of ice and fire list of mourners.  It starts to look like Wild Cards is what he sees as his life's main accomplishment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

George just said Fire and Blood volume 1 will come out before Winds:  Link

And if you'll recall, he gave the release window for F&B as late 2018 to early 2019....so that means no Winds in 2018.  

Quite the clusterfuck this situation has become.  

You've GOT to be kidding me.........I hate this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

 

So, 6-7 months ago he didn't know which would be out first, and now apparently he does. This means he probably has an idea/knows when F&B vol 1 will be published, and maybe has a better idea on a finish line for Winds. Also, this was greatly expected, no? He's made it clear that F&B vol 1 was practically done yrs ago. 

What shocks me is that he knows he won t publish winds for another year (12 months). Unless he publishes F&B much earlier than expected...

We went from grrm thinking he might be able to finish winds to grrm knowing he wont be able to do it in a year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, if Fire and Blood 1 comes out this year then Winds could still come out too, after it.....but how likely is this in truth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, divica said:

What shocks me is that he knows he won t publish winds for another year (12 months). Unless he publishes F&B much earlier than expected...

We went from grrm thinking he might be able to finish winds to grrm knowing he wont be able to do it in a year...

In July last year he said something from him in 2018, maybe two somethings but not when in 2018. I think as usual too much is being made of comments Martin has made.

Who knows? Maybe F&B was indeed practically done and will be published soon-ish. Or not. Not much point speculating and driving ourselves mad over it. When there is a pub date for either book, Martin will announce it on NaB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

Still, if Fire and Blood 1 comes out this year then Winds could still come out too, after it.....but how likely is this in truth?

Divica summed it up:  George was once in 'this year, maybe' mode, and now he's in a 'this year?  not happening' stance.  

How likely do you think it is that George has finally figured this whole "estimating" thing out and is now able to accurately predict that 9-12 months is exactly what he needs to get it out soon after F&B comes out?    

The man's got almost 20 years of bad estimates under his belt, so I would not hold my breath on him suddenly figuring out how to do it, personally...but I wish good fortune to the optimists who convince themselves of it.  Stay gold, you lot, really...stay gold. 

Edited by Ser Wun Wun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not necessarily being optimistic, but I'm definitely not being pessimistic. :D

I think it's really more about not taking Martin's comments on these things as being facts, or set in stone or whatever. This was discussed elsewhere recently, and after yrs waiting for Feast and Dance, I find his 'no predictions/no specific comments on progress' approach much easier and less stressful. But that's just me... :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I'm not necessarily being optimistic, but I'm definitely not being pessimistic. :D

I think it's really more about not taking Martin's comments on these things as being facts, or set in stone or whatever. This was discussed elsewhere recently, and after yrs waiting for Feast and Dance, I find his 'no predictions/no specific comments on progress' approach much easier and less stressful. But that's just me... :)

 

Exactly this!

GRRM has made it abundantly clear that he does not wish to make any estimates or predictions at all. Doing so, just does not work for him, and directly conflicts with his writing process.

The way I read the interaction on GRRM's nab, was that the questioner used a loop hole by phrasing the question in a manner that pertained to Fire and Blood, in order to avoid GRRM's off topic policy, and ban in regards to TWoW discussion - So he just gave some meaningless, basic answer; that perhaps he hopes will be the case.

Edited by Blackwater Revenant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First a statement then a question.

The three Dunk & Egg tales that were published in various anthologies throughout the years were combined into A Night of the Seven Kingdoms (2015)

I am asking --- Fire & Blood is the gathering of Martin’s Targ histories that were released in anthologies throughout the years?

https://grrm.livejournal.com/544709.html

Quote

Speaking of fake history... regulars here may recall our plan to assemble an entire book of my fake histories of the Targaryen kings, a volume we called (in jest) the GRRMarillion or (more seriously) FIRE AND BLOOD. We have so much material that it's been decided to publish the book in two volumes. The first of those will cover the history of Westeros from Aegon's Conquest up to and through the regency of the boy king Aegon III (the Dragonbane). That one is largely written, and will include (for the first time) a complete detailed history of the Targaryen civil war, the Dance of the Dragons. My stories in DANGEROUS WOMEN ("The Princess and the Queen") and ROGUES ("The Rogue Prince") were abridged versions of the same histories.

No publication date has been set yet, but it's likely that we will get the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD out in late 2018 or early 2019. The second volume, which will carry the history from Aegon III up to Robert's Rebellion, is largely unwritten, so that one will be a few more years in coming./

 

This is disappointing to me. Volume II, the one that deals directly with ASOIAF is largely unwritten.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

In July last year he said something from him in 2018, maybe two somethings but not when in 2018. I think as usual too much is being made of comments Martin has made.

Who knows? Maybe F&B was indeed practically done and will be published soon-ish. Or not. Not much point speculating and driving ourselves mad over it. When there is a pub date for either book, Martin will announce it on NaB. 

9 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Still, if Fire and Blood 1 comes out this year then Winds could still come out too, after it.....but how likely is this in truth?

The thing is martin's last prediction is that F&B would be published near the end of 2018 or beguining of 2019. This makes it nearly impossible for grrm to publish winds within the next 12 months.

In adition martin's publicity comittments for F&B and got's last season plus his involvement in the prequels and his other tv shows will ocupy much of his time in 2019...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

First a statement then a question.

The three Dunk & Egg tales that were published in various anthologies throughout the years were combined into A Night of the Seven Kingdoms (2015)

I am asking --- Fire & Blood is the gathering of Martin’s Targ histories that were released in anthologies throughout the years?

https://grrm.livejournal.com/544709.html

This is disappointing to me. Volume II, the one that deals directly with ASOIAF is largely unwritten.

 

Well it would also, presumably, cover as yet unreleased stuff. He reign of Jaehaerys, for example, and the Regency of Aegon III definitely, maybe a little more detail on Aegon I. Plus the full versions of the stories we already got, which would be nice, since there are a few times were material lost in editing is sorely missed.

 

eta: so no, different to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, divica said:

The thing is martin's last prediction is that F&B would be published near the end of 2018 or beguining of 2019. This makes it nearly impossible for grrm to publish winds within the next 12 months.

In adition martin's publicity comittments for F&B and got's last season plus his involvement in the prequels and his other tv shows will ocupy much of his time in 2019...

You know, I hadn't even considered the prequels in this equation.... But yeah I was just trying to sound optimistic; I was already thinking about what this situation might mean for Dream, if that ever comes out

Edited by Lady Anna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

You know, I hadn't even considered the prequels in this equation.... But yeah I was just trying to sound optimistic; I was already thinking about what this situation might mean for Dream, if that ever comes out

I wouldn't worry about that. Dream is just that....a dream.

To kissedbyfire's point, you can't rely on what George says in blog posts. He answered a commenter stating F&B vol 1 would be out this year and Winds would be out after that and before F&B vol 2.

He previously has said he thought Winds would be finished in 2015. He also previously said he would cut back on traveling and not attend cons other than World Con until Winds was finished. He also previously said he would not do any other writing (not editing) until Winds was finished.

Words are wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have finished first reading of the books in December last year, yet i'm impatient for sixth.

Ps: What would you suggest me to download history novellas from somewhere or to wait for F&B to be translated in my language?

Edited by Kandrax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I have finished first reading of the books in December last year, yet i'm impatient for sixth.

Ps: What would you suggest me to download history novellas from somewhere or to wait for F&B to be translated in my language?

Read the novellas if you haven't already done so. They are ancillary to the five books, and they give the reader a better understanding of the plot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Read the novellas if you haven't already done so. They are ancillary to the five books, and they give the reader a better understanding of the plot. 

Maybe, i would.

PS: Will Princess, Rogue and Sons be expanded in F&B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's clear this up.

Fire and Blood I is an ancillary book. Bantam and Voyager know it will sell well, like WoIaF and other stuff with George's name on it, but it won't be setting the bestseller lists on fire. WoIaF has taken 4 years to sell a million copies, which is exceptionally good for a tie-in book, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the 4-6 million you'd expect Winds of Winter to sell in its first year on sale (which is roughly what ADWD did). For that reason, the publishers have not put F&B I in a rush-release schedule. A holiday 2019 release makes sense because it will sell more then with people buying it for GoT fans among their friends or family. If for whatever reason F&B1 misses this Christmas, even by a few weeks, I think the publishers will be strongly motivated to hold it back for Christmas 2020 instead.

The Winds of Winter, on the other hand, is (like all the books before it back as far as ASoS) is on priority rush-release. From hand-in, it will be out 3 months later. So if George finishes it tomorrow, it will be out in May or June. If he finishes it in August, it will be out in October and so on, regardless of when F&B1 comes out.

So the timeline for the two book is desynchronised. The publishers would probably not be amiss to them coming out together, simultaneously, so they can do some kind of tie-in release, buy one get 20% off the other etc. TWoW could come out first, assuming George finishes it at least 3-4 months before F&I's planned release date. I haven't seen much sign of this, but then it's not impossible either.

As for the content, about 95% of F&B1 was written in the massive explosion of writing GRRM did back in 2012 for World of Ice and Fire. He wrote circa 300,000 words in 2-3 months, only a small amount of which actually went into the world book. The rest had to be massively compressed and summarised by Elio and Linda. Sons of the DragonThe Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince are all off-cuts from this material. Fire and Blood I will simply be the full, uncut (but hopefully better-edited) text of this material. My understanding is that some new material has been written to better start and finish the book off (and to fill in various years and periods of history when there wasn't much going on) but nothing too major. F&B I ends, I believe, with Aegon III and the death of the dragons. F&B2 has pretty much nothing written for it, and can't be released until after ASoIaF is completed because it risks spoiling some revelations in the later books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Text

GRRM said F & B Volume 1 will be out either late this year or early next year so I doubt it will be pushed back till 2020. Anyway, if Book of Swords is any indication F & B V1 is in dire need of some serious expansion or else it will run the significant risk of being a highly uneven history. Beyond that it has always been my opinion that GRRM should actually split F & B into 3 volumes instead of 2, with the second covering Daeron I-Daeron II. Not only is there enough material in those 52 years to fill out a whole book but that would also allow GRRM to release more material without having to worry about spoiling D & E since THK takes place in the last year of Daeron II's reign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now