NFL 2016 Offseason: THIS Is The Year!

Jace, Extat

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Name a team besides the undisciplined and swoon prone Steelers that can challenge them in the AFC.

Yeah, the AFC side is a bit weak. But keep in mind, this is the line to win the Superbowl, not to just make the game. I would think Carolina at the very least would be put on the same level as the Patsies at this point, especially when you factor in the suspension.

9 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Aaron Lynch was a lone bright spot, but the Gods were not amused; 4 games for s.u. and I likely spiral to...the Raiders?

I can't make heads or tails from this man. Was Lynch the safety? What is s.u.?

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, the AFC side is a bit weak. But keep in mind, this is the line to win the Superbowl, not to just make the game. I would think Carolina at the very least would be put on the same level as the Patsies at this point, especially when you factor in the suspension.

I'm not sure how Tom Brady not playing in the first 4 games would impact the participating teams in the superb owl. 

That said, I'd take the Patriots 10 times out of 10 vs the Panthers. I suspect they'll seriously regress anyhow. No, far more likely the hated Seahawks or maaaaayBe the Packers. And both would fall to the pats I think.

Now to be clear I'm not crowning the pats, I'm defending that they be the favorite in the summer.

Great defenses generally have some trouble staying together, too many moving parts, and if one gets injured or declines, the whole unit takes a big step back. Great Offenses in the other hand can generally take attrition anywhere but QB. But Brady's like 40 almost. I could see him breaking down physically in the winter before the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm not sure how Tom Brady not playing in the first 4 games would impact the participating teams in the superb owl. 

That said, I'd take the Patriots 10 times out of 10 vs the Panthers. I suspect they'll seriously regress anyhow. No, far more likely the hated Seahawks or maaaaayBe the Packers. And both would fall to the pats I think.

Now to be clear I'm not crowning the pats, I'm defending that they be the favorite in the summer.

Well I think the Brady suspension could potentially cost them home field in the AFC Championship game. Not sure who's going to step up in the AFC though. It seems to me the Pats were kind of vulnerable both on the Oline and on defense, and it doesn't seem like they did much to improve either. 

The Panthers should be much better on the offensive side with Kelvin Benjamin coming back. That kid is a legit deep threat that should help open up the offense as a whole. Other than their over priced CB, it doesn't seem like they've lost much.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well I think the Brady suspension could potentially cost them home field in the AFC Championship game. Not sure who's going to step up in the AFC though. It seems to me the Pats were kind of vulnerable both on the Oline and on defense, and it doesn't seem like they did much to improve either. 

The Panthers should be much better on the offensive side with Kelvin Benjamin coming back. That kid is a legit deep threat that should help open up the offense as a whole. Other than their over priced CB, it doesn't seem like they've lost much.

Exactly about the AFC, there's no one to reasonably expect to take advantage for the 1 seed. As Sperry said the Broncos should still be good but the AFC West is on paper startlingly competent and a boy QB sits the mile high throne now, or else Lord Sanchez who inspires no great love. The younger one, Simeon is pretty to look at I'll grant you, but ill made to wear the audible crown. Who then? The Bengals of Cincinnati? Bah! Kings in the North they call Dalton! A ginger boy so postseason green he pisses grass after every week 17 finale I say. That leaves who? The Reapers and rapers of the Steel city? Undisciplined pirates the lot of them. All bluster and quick to cower from a disciplined attack. And in the East it is even worse competition. Bills, Jets, and Dolphins. The knights of summer I call them. What do they know of the winter? When the cold wind of Foxborough  freezes men where they huddle, the linemen clear kicker's places of snows a hundred feet deep, and women smother their own babies rather than see them starve of a victory? Are these the sort of teams you look to?

Meanwhile, I agree the Panthers haven't lost much, but they were never a 15-1 superb owl team in my eyes anyways. They rode poor competition and amazing momentum all year, I do not expect it to repeat. Not dissimilar to the 09 Colts. Though Ron Rivera is no Jim Caldwell.

It's true, the AFC does seem to be a little weak.  The fact that the Pats play in a division with the likes of the Bills, Jets, Dolphins.  Brady could have been suspended the first 8 games and the Pats still come out as the winner of that division.  Steelers are so young at secondary are going to miss Bryant to pull some coverage away from Brown.

I expect the Ravens and the Colts to have bounce back years.

12 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Or maybe punters will learn to coffin corner again?

They should be doing that anyways though. I was thinking along the lines of passing up a long field goal or a short punt to go for it on fourth and short. 

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

They lost some big pieces on defense though. And as unimpressive as Manning was, he has to be better than Sanchize or a rookie. I will be mildly suprised if they win the division.   

Does he?  He was the worst QB in the league last year and it wasn't close.  That's the thing that frustrated me so much about Denver.  They had a chance to upgrade the position significantly with by getting anyone with a pulse, and instead they got a guy who is basically going to perform pretty similarly to 2015 Manning. Still, it's almost impossible for it to be a downgrade

4 minutes ago, sperry said:

Does he?  He was the worst QB in the league last year and it wasn't close.  That's the thing that frustrated me so much about Denver.  They had a chance to upgrade the position significantly with by getting anyone with a pulse, and instead they got a guy who is basically going to perform pretty similarly to 2015 Manning. Still, it's almost impossible for it to be a downgrade

I agree completely, Denver's decision to ignore the QB position is baffling.  Of all the quarterbacks to trade for to "stabilize" the position, they go with Sanchez?  I mean, Mike Glennon is still on his rookie contract and played so-so (29 tds, 15 ints) in 18 starts for Tampa.  But obviously he isn't going to start with Winston there.  How much would it cost to get him?  A third rounder?  A second rounder with some change back?  Hell, they could make that trade today and I'd consider their chances of repeating as champs significantly improved (although it would make trading for Sanchez look pretty stupid). 

12 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Name a team besides the undisciplined and swoon prone Steelers that can challenge them in the AFC.

The Bengals. They would have challenged them last year if Dalton didn't fracture his thumb. That team was really good and he clearly took a step forward during that season.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I agree completely, Denver's decision to ignore the QB position is baffling.  Of all the quarterbacks to trade for to "stabilize" the position, they go with Sanchez?  I mean, Mike Glennon is still on his rookie contract and played so-so (29 tds, 15 ints) in 18 starts for Tampa.  But obviously he isn't going to start with Winston there.  How much would it cost to get him?  A third rounder?  A second rounder with some change back?  Hell, they could make that trade today and I'd consider their chances of repeating as champs significantly improved (although it would make trading for Sanchez look pretty stupid). 

But they had arguably the worst starting QB in the league last year and still managed to win the Superb Owl. Sanchez isn't horrible, and I'm guessing they're all in on Lynch and are just going to treat this season as a gap year. 

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The Bengals. They would have challenged them last year if Dalton didn't fracture his thumb. That team was really good and he clearly took a step forward during that season.

Win a playoff game and we'll talk. It's hard to have any faith in your team.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Win a playoff game and we'll talk. It's hard to have any faith in your team.

Why? The question is whether they're capable of competing and they are. Whether they've won a playoff game or not is irrelevant to this upcoming season and whether they'll win one or not. I don't care if you have faith in the team or not but basing it entirely on playoff history (which includes 7 games over a 10 year period and also includes ignoring specific factors in those games that contributed to the loss) and not on the capabilities/completeness of the 2016 team is stupid.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But they had arguably the worst starting QB in the league last year and still managed to win the Superb Owl. Sanchez isn't horrible, and I'm guessing they're all in on Lynch and are just going to treat this season as a gap year. 

But if they traded for Glennon, they could still hand the keys over to Lynch next year.  If Glennon plays awesome they could franchise him and trade him or let him walk for a 3rd round compensatory pick.  Or keep him and let Lynch sit another year.  Plus of course, if Glennon plays any better than league average there is a very good chance the Broncos do indeed win the Super Bowl again. 

I am always really skeptical that GMs are really making decisions because they are worried their placeholder guy is going to play TOO well.  That is a problem all GMs want to deal with. 

The only question is whether Glennon is a real upgrade over the current QBs, and whether the price is acceptable to get that improvement.  The price on Glennon can't be too high, since he isn't going to start and will be a free agent next offseason.  And given the track record for Sanchez, Glennon looks like an obvious improvement. 

Archived