NFL 2016 Offseason: THIS Is The Year!

Jace, Extat

Big trending story is that Kaepernick sat during the national anthem as a protest against oppression of minorities.

I know this board skews liberal, so I expect a lot of empathy with him.  Personally, I disagree with the method of his commentary.

I will just say that I don't think he's the right guy to do it.  With him being embroiled in the middle of questions about his ability and his attitude already, I think it weakens his social message.  Additionally, I think the social message complicates his attempt to resurrect his playing career.

12 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Romo has a broken bone in his back. I'm a Giants fan but I feel bad for the dude. Everytime he goes down it seems he gets injured. 

Some reporters saying he's out 6-10 weeks, others saying he could play week 1 by taking epidural injections. In 2014, he played two weeks after breaking a bone in his back against Washington. But this is now the 3rd or 4th time he has hurt his back. It was a bad back, not concussions that ended Troy Aikman's career. 

I think he might have to hang them up. Dak Prescott has looked great in the pre-season but teams will be able to game plan and scheme against him in the regular season. Cowboys will have to play more conservative in the passing game now and definitely lean on the run even more. You do wonder if they will employ the read option to take advantage of his speed. 

17 minutes ago, lancerman said:

More than ever these past two years were the Cowboys window. Seattle and Greenbay took a step back last year, questions this year. Romo is done imo. He can't handle it anymore. He's behind the best line in the league. Can't be getting hurt this often.

Yep. The play he got hurt was completely unnecessary. It's preseason and he tried to run for a first down only to get drillled in the back as he slid. With all his injuries, his approach should have been the Peyton Manning Fall Down as soon as a defender got close to him. Alas, that's never been his nature.

13 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Yep. The play he got hurt was completely unnecessary. It's preseason and he tried to run for a first down only to get drillled in the back as he slid. With all his injuries, his approach should have been the Peyton Manning Fall Down as soon as a defender got close to him. Alas, that's never been his nature.

He's a seasoned vet and should know better. I mean I get that it's his nature but damn! It reminds me of RG3 a few years back taking licks in the pre-season for absolutely no reason. Staying healthy should be everyone's main concern in august, especially when you're apparently made of glass.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Big trending story is that Kaepernick sat during the national anthem as a protest against oppression of minorities.

I know this board skews liberal, so I expect a lot of empathy with him.  Personally, I disagree with the method of his commentary.

I will just say that I don't think he's the right guy to do it.  With him being embroiled in the middle of questions about his ability and his attitude already, I think it weakens his social message.  Additionally, I think the social message complicates his attempt to resurrect his playing career.

I've been the biggest Kaepernick homer since his very first game against Chicago.   I'm finally done.  I'm not surprised by the incident given that his social media accounts over the past 10 months look like they were taken over by a wannabe black panther.  While I generally could care less about his personal political leanings, this is a transparent attempt to distract people from his poor play.  When he is benched and ultimately cut, we'll hear about how racist Chip KKKelly and Trent BalKKKe were towards poor Kap.

Saw this tweet which pretty much sums up the controversy:

'If your not good enough to start over Blaine Gabbert you shouldnt be aloud to stand for the national anthem anyways. USA is for winners"

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Even liberal Americans tend to get weirdly John Wayne about the flag shit...especially in sports...so I expect there will be reasons found why he's wrong here. 

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Even liberal Americans tend to get weirdly John Wayne about the flag shit...especially in sports...so I expect there will be reasons found why he's wrong here. 

I could give a hairy rat's ass about that. Next time you're at a professional sporting event, look around you as the anthem plays. It's pretty hypocritical, methinks.  

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I hate the preseason. So many injuries.

Now that I've got some alcohol in my system I can use my words. I don't really hate the preseason, injuries are part of the game. That said, this one has sunk my team. Mewhort is one of THREE players on the roster that isn't a WR or QB and could realistically start on another team. The other 2 are a corner set to miss half the season and a fucking punter.

Another season of Luck getting slaughtered starting every game with a 14 point deficit and a running game that will swing dramatically from futile to laughable. 6 and 10, I'm calling it now.

PQJ.  Perhaps he could feign an injury, the colts can tank and get the first pick of the draft, and you could ship him to my team for pennies on the dollar?  I would gladly take a third HOF QB drafted by the Colts here in Colorado, how do we make it happen?

What in the actual fuck was John Elway thinking? You would think of all people, he would understand the importance of the quarterback position.

In somewhat related news (since he should be the Broncos starting QB right now), Sam Bradford established himself as the greatest 3rd game of the preseason QB in NFL history.  The Eagles will be going to battle with nothing to show for their last 4 first round picks to start this season.  Lane Johnson is suspended 10 games for roids, Marcus Smith is going to get cut, Nelson Agholor's most productive NFL moment has been sexually assaulting a stripper, and Carson Wentz won't play for at least the first half of the season. If that's not how you build a championship roster, I don't know what it is.

43 minutes ago, sperry said:

What in the actual fuck was John Elway thinking? You would think of all people, he would understand the importance of the quarterback position.

Its not like they had much of a choice.  I mean, with Manning's retirement/complete collapse/end of "treatments," the Broncos were left with what got them to the playoffs- an amazing Defense and an offense lead by a terrible QB.  They knew Osweiler would get a huge contract somewhere (he signed with the Texans for $37 Mil Guaranteed) and that he almost assuredly was not worth it (10 TDs v. 6 INTs is okay, but recall he was throwing to E. Sanders and D. Thomas); and he would have been even LESS worth it had they got into a bidding war.  

The only other QBs that were really out there were also "meh" including Ryan Fitzpatrick.  So they decided "Fuck it: we won a SB with a guy who had 9 TDs and 17 INTs in the regular season and then in the post season had 2 TDs vs 3 turnovers and racked up an incredible 56 rating in the SB - we can make this work.  Get me Marc Sanchez's supervisor at Wendy's on the phone!  And besides, we are in the same division as the Raiders and Chargers; we could have John Elway TODAY be the QB and we'd snag a wild card."  

23 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Much MUCH respect to Colin Kaepernick for speaking out against systemic racism in this country. He used a platform to reach out/take a stand and reached out to people less fortunate than him. Other athletes should follow his lead.

If only he showed the same commitment to things like learning the playbook or conditioning.

24 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Much MUCH respect to Colin Kaepernick for speaking out against systemic racism in this country. He used a platform to reach out/take a stand and reached out to people less fortunate than him. Other athletes should follow his lead.

If they wanted to take a stand they would refuse to play until there is change.  

Archived