NFL 2016 Offseason: THIS Is The Year!

Jace, Extat

24 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

If they wanted to take a stand they would refuse to play until there is change.  

You think 'they' should essentially quit their jobs until there's change on deeply ingrained racial issues? That seems like an odd stance.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

You think 'they' should essentially quit their jobs until there's change on deeply ingrained racial issues? That seems like an odd stance.

Who says I think they should essentially quit? If him and other high profile athletes really wanted change taking some sort of collective action by refusing to play would have more of an impact than one man refusing to stand for the national anthem.  You're more than welcome to think it's odd but I don't.  

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Who says I think they should essentially quit? If him and other high profile athletes really wanted change taking some sort of collective action by refusing to play would have more of an impact than one man refusing to stand for the national anthem.  You're more than welcome to think it's odd but I don't.  

Ok. By that standard then I assume you've never 'really' wanted change on any issues unless you quit your job or did something else equally self destructive in protest?

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Ok. By that standard then I assume you've never 'really' wanted change on any issues unless you quit your job or did something else equally self destructive in protest?

I wouldn't qualify it as self destructive if a multi-millionaire refuses to play, I also don't have the platform. And why do you equate refusing to play with quitting? Do people who go on strike quit? I don't have the means to "quit" my job in protest of anything.  

21 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

And why do you equate refusing to play with quitting? Do people who go on strike quit?

If you go on strike in protest over an issue there's a decent chance there won't be any significant change on over the likely duration of the rest of your career, then yeah, you're pretty much just quitting your job.

I feel so sad. Who could have known a guard would have such an effect on my moral? Sperry, I must point out to you that the Colts defense is most likely to be the worst in the NFL this year before you get too excited, and Elway has made the right decision with Lynch/Simeon for pennies vs Bradford for 19 million.

51 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

If you go on strike in protest over an issue there's a decent chance there won't be any significant change on over the likely duration of the rest of your career, then yeah, you're pretty much just quitting your job.

If he does that fails and his career is hurt then at least he made a sacrifice for something he believes in.  

46 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He certainly could afford to make a sizable donation to BLM or the like. Looking like he's going to pull down 19 mill to be a 3rd string QB this season.

He could do that at the very least.  

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Las Vegas needs to tell these cunts to fuck off...

http://deadspin.com/raiders-stadium-backers-tell-las-vegas-give-us-750-mi-1785792123?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/As much as I would enjoy seeing an NFL franchise in Vegas, these fucks need to go screw.

This is some silly shit. they want $750 million in public money and the amount is non-negotiable? I'd tell that bowl cut doofus to get bent.

1 minute ago, Joe Pesci said:

This is some silly shit. they want $750 million in public money and the amount is non-negotiable? I'd tell that bowl cut doofus to get bent.

Totally.

http://imageserve.babycenter.com/21/000/274/sjq5uZe7QJlyVgqIpSOPovBzsLbjOa9K_lg.jpg

/Hasta LaVista! Bon Voyagee! Don't forget to write!

20 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

If only he showed the same commitment to things like learning the playbook or conditioning.

Lol. But seriously, just watched his interview on this, and he came off way more eloquent, sincere and humble than I'd ever have expected. Football interviews he always seems to be going through the motions, but here he was engaged, he was hearing the questions and subtext to them, and he addressed the military snag like a seasoned politician. Maybe this is his future.

23 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Lol. But seriously, just watched his interview on this, and he came off way more eloquent, sincere and humble than I'd ever have expected. Football interviews he always seems to be going through the motions, but here he was engaged, he was hearing the questions and subtext to them, and he addressed the military snag like a seasoned politician. Maybe this is his future.

I must ask, because I don't understand, what has the military got to do with this? This is about domestic politics.

1 hour ago, Yawron said:

I must ask, because I don't understand, what has the military got to do with this? This is about domestic politics.

The military and it's people are being cited as what he's 'disrespecting/disgracing' by not standing when the coloured cloth is raised and the song sung because...well, that's how 'Merica rolls. Not sure how a country is only/most represented by it's armed forces, but that's a different worldview. Either way, the standard response is something like 'this is America and we are all about freedom, so he can do what he wants, but he shouldn't do it because people in the military have died and it's wrong not to stand for the flag before sporting events', or similar. That and the odd mind-reader who knows he's only doing this because he's playing badly, and how dare he make millions in America but criticize it at the same time! or something.

Honestly, though, even with all this being pretty easy to predict in tone, the scale is a bit surprising. Drew Brees, for example, is very upset and saying there are 'more peaceful' ways of protesting. More peaceful than sitting quietly? He'd done the same thing for earlier games and no one even noticed ffs. I've never enjoyed the weird hybrid of American militarism and American sports, and this is highlighting why. Nonsensical but impassioned rhetoric...ad-homis Maximus. 

Don La Greca added an interesting point yesterday in the Kapernick discussion: When was the last time, absent the Superbowl, maybe, that you as a TV viewer even heard the National Anthem played before the game started? So we can question and argue about about Kapernick's sitting, but the NFL/TV broadcasters get a pass on their patriotism because they can squeeze in another commercial or two while the Anthem plays.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

@Mexal

We finally cut Brandon Tate! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing what Erickson will do for our return game. 

I saw! End of an era. Erickson has looked great though, glad his hard work was rewarded. No need to rely on Jones to return in dangerous situations if Erickson is capable as well.

Archived