Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheSeer27

Am I the only one

8 posts in this topic

Who dreads seeing a Theon/Ironborn chapter? I dont know I just find it so boring and dull. I feel he gives way too much pointless detail to the Iron Islands.

I love Theon. He's probably one of my favorite characters. It shows how much pride he has in being Ironborn and from the Iron Islands.

He's really not a complex character though. Yea he has a father complex. Thats about it. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, TheSeer27 said:

He's really not a complex character though. Yea he has a father complex. Thats about it. Just my opinion.

I see what you mean. I guess it's really just to show that there are always people apart of something that tend to be overzealous.

Oh, I didn't like Theon either nor do I like him now. He's such a creep in dealing with women and as arrogant as dumb. Nevertheless I began to take an increasing interest in his chapters, as I came to learn what his problem actually is. It seems to me, that he is a forsaken child of sorts, he doesn't know where he really belongs. Grown up among strangers, how friendly they might have been, they still remain strangers, while he became estranged from his true family as well. In the end he doesn't know where he belongs at all,

(spoiler from ACoK Theon III onwards)

Spoiler

so taking over Winterfell was just a desperate attempt to regain his family's love, an attempt as hopeless as pitiful.

You can see that most clearly in his last chapter in ACoK, when he's out for a parley with Ser Rodrick, showing him his daughter on the wall with a noose around her neck:

"This is craven," Ser Rodrick said. "To use a child so... this is despicable."

"Oh, I know," said Theon. "It's a dish I tasted myself, or have you forgotten? I was ten, when I was taken from my father's house, to make certain he would raise no more rebellions."

"It is not the same!"

Theon's face was impassive. "The noose I wore was not made of hempen rope, that's true enough, but I felt it all the same. And it chafed, Ser Rodrick. It chafed me raw." He had never quite realized that until now, but as the words came spilling out he saw the truth of them.

Among other things, it is just these psychologically sophisticated character sketches, that I love in Martin's saga so well. I for one can't find any chapters boring.

The same for Iron Islands. I love the whole richness of landscapes, regions and mentalities in these books: the Eyrie, the North, Riverrun, the swamps of the Neck, the Iron Islands as well as the variety of regions in Essos - it's just fantastic! 

Got to Victarion long ago. :)

The only char really annoying me for most of the first two volumes was Daenerys. But even that changed with

Spoiler

her visit to the Palace of Dust...

Yea she was pretty much nonexistent in ACOK except for that passage. I'm doing a reread, halfway through ASOS so maybe I'll like the Ironborn more this time.