Am I the only one

TheSeer27

1 minute ago, TheSeer27 said:

He's really not a complex character though. Yea he has a father complex. Thats about it. Just my opinion.

I see what you mean. I guess it's really just to show that there are always people apart of something that tend to be overzealous.

• 1 month later...

Oh, I didn't like Theon either nor do I like him now. He's such a creep in dealing with women and as arrogant as dumb. Nevertheless I began to take an increasing interest in his chapters, as I came to learn what his problem actually is. It seems to me, that he is a forsaken child of sorts, he doesn't know where he really belongs. Grown up among strangers, how friendly they might have been, they still remain strangers, while he became estranged from his true family as well. In the end he doesn't know where he belongs at all,

(spoiler from ACoK Theon III onwards)

Spoiler

so taking over Winterfell was just a desperate attempt to regain his family's love, an attempt as hopeless as pitiful.

You can see that most clearly in his last chapter in ACoK, when he's out for a parley with Ser Rodrick, showing him his daughter on the wall with a noose around her neck:

"This is craven," Ser Rodrick said. "To use a child so... this is despicable."

"Oh, I know," said Theon. "It's a dish I tasted myself, or have you forgotten? I was ten, when I was taken from my father's house, to make certain he would raise no more rebellions."

"It is not the same!"

Theon's face was impassive. "The noose I wore was not made of hempen rope, that's true enough, but I felt it all the same. And it chafed, Ser Rodrick. It chafed me raw." He had never quite realized that until now, but as the words came spilling out he saw the truth of them.

Among other things, it is just these psychologically sophisticated character sketches, that I love in Martin's saga so well. I for one can't find any chapters boring.

The same for Iron Islands. I love the whole richness of landscapes, regions and mentalities in these books: the Eyrie, the North, Riverrun, the swamps of the Neck, the Iron Islands as well as the variety of regions in Essos - it's just fantastic! 

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2016 at 11:10 PM, TheSeer27 said:

Who dreads seeing a Theon/Ironborn chapter? I dont know I just find it so boring and dull. I feel he gives way too much pointless detail to the Iron Islands.

No, you are not the only one, lol!  I've enjoyed other chapters that involve iron born, I won't get into specifics, but Asha's back story was enjoyable, and other stuff, however, ACoK has pretty dull Theon chapters, especially when you're reading it through for the first time...subsequent reads make it easier to digest, and more interesting

On 13.7.2016 at 5:10 AM, TheSeer27 said:

Who dreads seeing a Theon/Ironborn chapter? I dont know I just find it so boring and dull. I feel he gives way too much pointless detail to the Iron Islands.

You are not alone. While I don't dread these chapters. The Ironborn chapters have always been one of my least favourite parts of the books, thoug they get better in later books.

Archived