who's the most underrated actor/actress on the show?

INCBlackbird

On July 14, 2016 at 0:37 AM, TheKitttenGuard said:

Alfie Allen

Theon has been the most consistently best played character throughout the series.  The arc and range of Allen makes every scene one of the most interesting to watch.

Yeah this.  Alfie allen doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves for Theon/Reek/Theon.

I'm binge watching the show from the beginning.  The way those characters have evolved is amazing.  Then especially.

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 6:58 AM, Drogonthedread said:

Are we talking about based on fanforums and internet ..if so then iam going to go with Emilia Clarke ...she may not be Meryl streep or even Lena but she is not really that bad as internet portrays.. 

Yeah she is. Emilia does a good enough job playing Daenerys. Never distracted by her acting at all(though distracted by Dinklage's acting). There are many moments I thought she was excellent mostly in season 1. But show Dany suffers from writing that people attribute to Emilia's acting. They made her quite emotionless after season 1 that restricted any range she could show. They disregarded any internal struggle but that could be easily done with her having some private moments with people around her. She is really good in the moments where she stops putting up that queenly face. 

One thing I observed from the internet forums is people tend to appreciate an actor's acting when they like the way the characters story is going and reverse. So don't bother much about internet forums. 

1 hour ago, khal drogon said:

Yeah she is. Emilia does a good enough job playing Daenerys. Never distracted by her acting at all(though distracted by Dinklage's acting). There are many moments I thought she was excellent mostly in season 1. But show Dany suffers from writing that people attribute to Emilia's acting. They made her quite emotionless after season 1 that restricted any range she could show. They disregarded any internal struggle but that could be easily done with her having some private moments with people around her. She is really good in the moments where she stops putting up that queenly face. 

One thing I observed from the internet forums is people tend to appreciate an actor's acting when they like the way the characters story is going and reverse. So don't bother much about internet forums. 

Yeah well said and completely agree with both points.  

On 7/19/2016 at 0:53 AM, khal drogon said:

I don't think that's fair.  Almost universally, those of us labeled as "Ranters" praise Allen and NCW's acting, despite thinking Theon's "story" is a shell of its book self and Jaime is so bad the show shouldn't even name it Jaime. With a couple exceptions, one of the biggest frustrations is the constant underutilization of great acting talent across the board.

I'm a huge Sam fan, and I hate what they have done story wise (devil is in the details. ALL the details for them), I really think John Bradley is great (although I don't think he would work well in a comedy).  Bradley has been fantastic in any serious moment that they have given him though.  

ETA: Hell, this is in the R&R thread.

I think NCW is a very good actor. And I loved to see him. But what they did to his character ... it just makes me want to skip some of his scenes. 

27 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I don't think that's fair.  Almost universally, those of us labeled as "Ranters" praise Allen and NCW's acting, despite thinking Theon's "story" is a shell of its book self and Jaime is so bad the show shouldn't even name it Jaime. With a couple exceptions, one of the biggest frustrations is the constant underutilization of great acting talent across the board.

I'm a huge Sam fan, and I hate what they have done story wise (devil is in the details. ALL the details for them), I really think John Bradley is great (although I don't think he would work well in a comedy).  Bradley has been fantastic in any serious moment that they have given him though.  

ETA: Hell, this is in the R&R thread.

Thats why I said tend to. Its not applicable to everyone. Of course we people who are obsessed with the show will have a strong opinion. But I have seen this phenomenon of people seeing faults with acting when they don't see what they want to see. There is also the effect we see less faults with someone who is known to be a good actor. I don't have enough data to prove it to you so you could disagree.

2 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

Thats why I said tend to. Its not applicable to everyone. Of course we people who are obsessed with the show will have a strong opinion. But I have seen this phenomenon of people seeing faults with acting when they don't see what they want to see. There is also the effect we see less faults with someone who is known to be a good actor. I don't have enough data to prove it to you so you could disagree.

I think that's a fair statement.  Hell, a certain Game of Thrones actor won an emmy for by far his worst season, where he was far from deserving, and I think it was entirely down to the 4 strong seasons before that. I really don't think the argument applies to Emilia though. She might not be a horrible actor in another situation (I haven't seen Terminator or her other works), but as directed in Game of Thrones, she has been utter garbage.  

Name of the actor playing Theon. Something in his voice is genuine. He has a the right sincere and stern voice whenever he needs to. Him saying goodbye to Sansa was amazing and it's because he delivered it nicely. In season three he killed it

I also think the guy playing the Hound was nice. 

Tyrion on in season 5-6 has been overrated and very underrated season 1-4.

10 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I think that's a fair statement.  Hell, a certain Game of Thrones actor won an emmy for by far his worst season, where he was far from deserving, and I think it was entirely down to the 4 strong seasons before that. I really don't think the argument applies to Emilia though. She might not be a horrible actor in another situation (I haven't seen Terminator or her other works), but as directed in Game of Thrones, she has been utter garbage.  

Fine. I respect your opinion. 

On 7/15/2016 at 0:37 AM, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

Kristian Nairn. With one word we saw and felt a diverse array of emotions from him. Silly Hodor echoing his name in the well brought us joy, devastated Hodor looking down at Locke's body brought us sadness. It's easy to overlook him because of how easy the role seem. Carry this tiny kid and say the character's name over and over. But I think he's given one of the most touching and genuine performances on the show.

Guilty as charged.  I did overlook him like you say, but I agree with you completely.  I would think it's easier to convey ideas and emotions when you have several lines of dialog to back them up, and Kristian nailed it every time he was on screen with only one word and his body and facial expressions.

I'd say that amost all the secondary characters are underrated. The casting is amazing, especially amongst these ones.

But if I had to say a few names from all the cast....Alfie Allen, Liam Cunningham, Dianna Rigg; and also Carice Van Houten, Iain Glen, Ellie Kendrick...

Archived