Who can Cersei ally with?

dsug

We all know that despite being Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei doesn't have a ton of support. She has the Kingsguard, the goldcloaks, and a dwindling Lannister army. 

With all the Wars to Come (see what I did there), she's gonna need to make some friends real quick if she doesn't wanna get steamrolled by a certain mother of dragons. So what allies can she make? I'll go through the obvious ones, then kinda get more and more tinfoil as we go through.  

1. Euron Greyjoy- the King of the Iron Islands possesses a loyal army and will soon possess a fleet of a thousand ships. He wants his niece and nephew, allies of Daenerys, dead, as does Queen Cersei. Many have speculated Euron and Cersei will marry and combine their armies to combat the Targaryen invasion. The pros to this alliance is that a) they're both psychopaths and seem to have a lot in common b)they have common goals in killing Daenerys and all her allies c) Cersei needs an army and Euron has one. That being said, there are things that detract from this theory a) Cersei has repeatedly declared that she will never marry again, and there is absolutely no one who can force her to b)Euron will not settle for being the Queen's consort, and Cersei would never abdicate her throne to Euron c) they're both crazy and power hungry and will likely be threatened by each other d) Euron wants to sit on the Iron Throne, which would require Cersei's death. 

2. House Frey- with Walder and his two eldest sons dead, it is unclear  who the current Lord of House Frey is. Regardless, someone will be named and one of Walder's hundreds of descendants will get the title. The Lannisters have given the Freys much of their recent success, and even went to the trouble of lifting a siege on their own castle for them. Cersei may call in a favor, and the ever-reaching Freys will probably be eager to get involved. Pros- they have worked together before, the Freys are in debt to the Lannisters. Cons- with Walder dead, the status of the family is currently unclear, and may be experiencing too much inner turmoil to jump into another war

3.House Tully- hear me out. With Hoster, Catelyn, and Bryden Tully all dead, the Lord of House Tully is Edmure, who has proven to be a weak leader. He worked essentially as a puppet for Jaime Lannister during the siege of Riverrun, and did exactly what he wanted. He currently is locked in another cell, a prisoner to the Lannisters. Cersei may forcibly take control of his army in his absence, or may even manipulate Edmure to join willingly. Pros- Edmure is weak and has worked for the Lannisters before. Cons- the Tullys hate the Lannisters for their actions during the War of the Five Kings and will probably be unwilling to aide them. 

4. The Golden Company- the famous sellsword company has been mentioned on the show before, and currently serve no particular ruler. Cersei may enlist them, and gain 10,000 men in the process. However, they follow the gold, which Cersei seems to be low on. She may lie to them about the wealth of Casterly Rock, as the Lannisters' dwindling funds seems to be a secret. Pros- powerful army, high numbers, history of joining Westerosi wars. Cons- Cersei seems to be unable to pay them. 

5. House Tarly- in history, the Tarly's have been loyal to House Tyrell. However, House Tyrell is essentially gone. Cersei may convince Randyll Tarly to fight for her with his world famous army. Tarly seems to be a strict conservative and kind of a misogynist, so he may be unwilling to take orders from a Redwyne woman and a Targaryen invader. With that same thought, however, he may not take too kindly to a female Lannister usurper. She could offer him something, perhaps she'll get her hand on Heartsbane (unlikely but just a thought) and entice him with that. Pros- great army. Cons- historically loyal to the Tyrells

SO YEAH. sorry that was long. Who do you guys think Cersei might ally with? Because she's gonna need to do something if she doesn't wanna become dragon food in approximately .001 seconds. 

I don't think that she will find the time to make some allies, I think her death will be before the arrival of the Stormborn (even before the news of the upcoming conquest reaches KL), and Euron is too selfish and overconfident, he wil try his luck alone versus Daenerys

I'm not so sure Cersi will find many allies, if any, besides Qybirn and the Mountain. Remember that scene where Varys says that power resides where people believe it does? And the scene between Little Finger and Cersi where she demonstrates it? She has no more power. She has been stripped bare and everyone has seen her nakedness. She is the only one who believes she has any power left.

After thinking on this, I'm not even sure Qyburn is her ally. There is something about him that makes me think he is hastening Cersi's ultimate downfall (end of old Order, beginning of new Order). Cersi is clearly part of the old Order, and I think Qyburn sees her as an obstacle of the new Order he wishes to create. Not sure I can back that up with evidence, it's just something I have been pondering over the last several episodes.

Cersei may well consider a marriage alliance with Euron Greyjoy. If she's looking destruction in the face, options that may have appeared unpalatable in the past may seem better by comparison. She's already proven she's willing to do anything to destroy her enemies. Also she likely could talk herself into going along with Euron until Dany is defeated, in which case she's deal with him just like she dealt with Robert. She may not consider that Euron likely will be thinking something similar with her.

Another possible alliance, depending on how things play with the Vale/North relations, is with Littlefinger. Though I could easily see Littlefinger pulling a Northamption like treachery and joining with the winner when the battle starts.

15 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Cersei may well consider a marriage alliance with Euron Greyjoy. If she's looking destruction in the face, options that may have appeared unpalatable in the past may seem better by comparison. She's already proven she's willing to do anything to destroy her enemies. Also she likely could talk herself into going along with Euron until Dany is defeated, in which case she's deal with him just like she dealt with Robert. She may not consider that Euron likely will be thinking something similar with her.

Another possible alliance, depending on how things play with the Vale/North relations, is with Littlefinger. Though I could easily see Littlefinger pulling a Northamption like treachery and joining with the winner when the battle starts.

Yeah I was unsure if I should include Littlefinger as he seems like more of Northern storyline now than anything else. He might do something towards the end, but I think it's mainly gonna be Cersei vs Daenerys. 

27 minutes ago, Travis said:

I'm not so sure Cersi will find many allies, if any, besides Qybirn and the Mountain. Remember that scene where Varys says that power resides where people believe it does? And the scene between Little Finger and Cersi where she demonstrates it? She has no more power. She has been stripped bare and everyone has seen her nakedness. She is the only one who believes she has any power left.

After thinking on this, I'm not even sure Qyburn is her ally. There is something about him that makes me think he is hastening Cersi's ultimate downfall (end of old Order, beginning of new Order). Cersi is clearly part of the old Order, and I think Qyburn sees her as an obstacle of the new Order he wishes to create. Not sure I can back that up with evidence, it's just something I have been pondering over the last several episodes.

I think Qyburn is loyal to whoever enables him. Cersei lets him do whatever the fuck he wants, so he's gonna stick with her till someone better comes along. But I don't think, for his purposes, there is anyone better than Cersei. 

Also, I don't think Cersei's power is at an end. Just because some peasants saw her boobs doesn't mean that the entire kingdom suddenly isn't afraid of armies and wildfire and starvation. Yeah, the walk of shame was a blow to her reputation and extremely embarrassing to her, but at the end of the day, she has an army, she has the throne, and she has demonstrated she is willing to kill people who get in her way or try to humiliate her. 

Totally unexpected and unlikely allies for Cersei: 

• Daario, because he'd finally manage to be king. 
  • Melisandre, because I'm pretty sure the explosion of the Sept is the visual representation of a Mel orgasm. 
  • Yohn Royce, because he finally gets sick and tired of Littlefinger's shit and would snitch his ass to Cersei.

More likely allies:

• The Tarlys
  • Littlefinger
  • Euron (tho I think he'll go it alone)

I see where you're coming from. But I don't think Cersi can trust Little Finger, nor can she rely on Lannister soldiers. I do not think Jaime particularly liked the idea of seeing Cersi on that Throne or the look he got from her. But perhaps that could be from knowing that if she is on the Throne that would mean his last son is dead. Once Jaime finds out what happened, ooh boy.

Beyond that, maybe Euron. I'm not sure there are too many left in the world who would fight and die for Cersi Lannister. Especially after Jon Snow rallies the rest of the North and other great houses in Westeros to fight the encroaching White Walkers.

Like I said, Euron maybe, but I don't think he will even reach King's Landing. He will likely die battling Dany at sea before they reach  Westeros (or not, lol). Unless he manages to commandeer one/some/all of her dragons.

I don't know, though. I think she (Cersi) will manage to find some allies, but only enough to keep her safe while she holes up in the Red Keep.

Euron is possible.

If Littlefinger wanted to be a king consort right now, as he said he would like to be, he could marry Cersei, and bring money and the Vale forces. He was just turned down by Sansa, and he does not necessarily believe that Cersei has to live a long time and he could pull another Lysa moment and marry whomever he pleases later. He could even have a child with her first. Cersei would think she is getting a malleable husband who could support her rule, but as we know Littlefinger may have quite different plans.

An even weirder situation would be for Cersei to marry Sweet Robin just for the alliance, money, resources and military forces. She would believe that she could do whatever she likes on the side as Robert is too young to really be her husband. ( like Book Marg and Tommen)

Cersei is irrational and not like Tywin. She isnt a forward thinker and is not as smart as she thinks she is. For her own personal gain, she destroyed the alliance wit the Tyrells & isolated House Lannister just to enact some petty revenge. Now House Lannister has no support, and enemies in the North, South and the coming threat from the sea in Dany. This is no doubt why Jamie coldly stared at her when she was being crowned.

There are almost no allie's for her. House Greyjoy are all about ships, they dont have a big standing army, & are basically a pirate colony of raiders & thieves. Euron's sole claim to Dany was offering her a fleet. Why would Cersei want a fleet for? Plus, the Iron Islands are on the wrong side of Kings landing. the Iron Islands are on the west side, whilst KL is on the east side of Westeros. 

As for the Littlefinger alliance. I dont think Littlefinger would marry Cersei just to be King for being Kings sake. Plus, his power at the Vale rests in Lysa being his widow - should he remarry he loses his position at the Eyrie and no longer could be the de-facto commander of the Knights of the Vale. 

Cersei doesnt have any allies. I think that will be her story. She feels those circling around her, and she lashes out causing Jamie to mercy kill her, for her own good, and that of others. 

5 hours ago, Adam141414 said:

Cersei is irrational and not like Tywin. She isnt a forward thinker and is not as smart as she thinks she is. For her own personal gain, she destroyed the alliance wit the Tyrells & isolated House Lannister just to enact some petty revenge. Now House Lannister has no support, and enemies in the North, South and the coming threat from the sea in Dany. This is no doubt why Jamie coldly stared at her when she was being crowned.

There are almost no allie's for her. House Greyjoy are all about ships, they dont have a big standing army, & are basically a pirate colony of raiders & thieves. Euron's sole claim to Dany was offering her a fleet. Why would Cersei want a fleet for? Plus, the Iron Islands are on the wrong side of Kings landing. the Iron Islands are on the west side, whilst KL is on the east side of Westeros. 

As for the Littlefinger alliance. I dont think Littlefinger would marry Cersei just to be King for being Kings sake. Plus, his power at the Vale rests in Lysa being his widow - should he remarry he loses his position at the Eyrie and no longer could be the de-facto commander of the Knights of the Vale. 

Cersei doesnt have any allies. I think that will be her story. She feels those circling around her, and she lashes out causing Jamie to mercy kill her, for her own good, and that of others. 

I agree with this, more or less. There's not enough time left for Cersi to do anything other than roar like a frightened and cornered mouse (however that would sound or look like). I would wager Cersi is hone from the story within 3 episodes.

It's true, Cersei doesn't excel at diplomacy, but does make rash alliances, such as that with the HS. I am unclear how Littlefinger has left things standing with her. Yes, probably her days are numbered, but I wouldn't rule out more floundering moves, especially if someone makes her an offer.

Littlefinger would marry anyone for an advantage, and plays a patient, twisted game. He got Sansa to marry Bolton! Not much Romance there in the short run. Sweet Robin is influenced heavily by him, something not to forget.

16 hours ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

I just don't know how they draw out Cersei getting wrecked, even with the shorter season of 7-8 episodes.  Dany's conquest on KL could easily be episode 2,3,4.

Then how you close out the season, I dunno.  Obviously the Wall falls for the finale.  

I think they will have Civil war in Dorne (because of Tyrion finding out about Myrcella) and the Iron Islands (because Euron - Yara conflict).  That should slow down Dany enough for Cersei to survive until episode 5 or 6 at least.  Then next season is about North v South v White Walkers, however that gets resolved.  Cersei doesn't even need more allies to survive if Dany's forces are fighting each other.  

I'm guessing:

1. Euron
2. Wildfire

King's Landing is burning to the ground one way or another. Either Cersei succeeds or Jaime kills her only for Dany to ignite the wildfire with Dracarys, destroying not only the Iron Throne, but also Dany's forces within the city.

20 hours ago, Adam141414 said:

Who do you think is on the ships lol.....They have thousands of soldiers. 

Just now, House_Tony_Stark said:

Curious, where did you get that the Lannister army is dwindling? They have had more than enough time to train new recruits to replace those lost during the King War. And I don't think they lost any men taking back the Riverlands. 

Thats more of a book thing than a show thing. In the books they are running out of men, but in the show, they never go in depth enough for us to really care about army sizes. So you're right. A little faux pas on my part. 

For people mention house Tarly. I bet my money on for whatever reason males in Tarly going to die at some point, the story wants to make Sam the head of Tarly house and help Jon eventually. It can't be only coincidence that Samwell is the direct heir to Tarly house and best friend to KitN Jon.

I also bet on when dust in settled, Tyrion is the head of Lannisters.

Archived