Best sigils?

Valens

Martell, Stark, Greyjoy if were to make a top 3. (in no particular order)

Can we expand the thread, with which are the weakest as well?

Lannisters ( there's hardly any lions left, )

Tullys ( a fucking fish lol).

Baratheon ( something most lords eat for dinner)

53 minutes ago, Nocturne said:

Martell, Stark, Greyjoy if were to make a top 3. (in no particular order)

Can we expand the thread, with which are the weakest as well?

Lannisters ( there's hardly any lions left, )

Tullys ( a fucking fish lol).

Baratheon ( something most lords eat for dinner)

:P Lol...I like it because of the colors. And I like "stags", lol. Mine top 3 are Blackwood, Dondarrion and Martell.

Best is subjective, so I can only give my favorites. Though I assume that is what this thread is supposed to be about anyway. There are a lot of sigils that I really love, so I'll try to narrow it down to a top... 20, lol. Also these are in no real order other than the order they popped into my head. 

House Baratheon (a crowned black stag on gold field)

House Marbrand (a tree burning orange on smoke grey field)

House Mormont (a black bear on a field of green woods)

House Harlaw (a white scythe on black field)

House Florent (a red fox in a circle of blue flowers on ermine field)

House Martell (a gold spear piercing a red sun on orange field)

House Bolton (a red flayed man on pink field with red blood drops)

House Qorgyle (three black scorpions on red field)

House Allyrion (a yellow hand on a gyronny field of red and black)

House Tarly (a red huntsman on green field)

House Trant (a black hanged man on blue field)

House Ashford (a white sun and chevron on orange field)

House Grandison (a sleeping black lion on yellow field)

House Connington (two combatant griffins counterchanged on red and white field)

House Caron (black nightingales on yellow field)

House Clegane (three black hounds on yellow field)

House Banefort (a black hooded man on grey field within a fiery tressure)

House Drumm (a white bone hand on red field)

House Hornwood (a brown bullmoose with black antlers on orange field)

House Manwoody (a crowned skull on black field)

Animals have a ton of detail to them and I've always thought representations of animals in heraldry tend to look pretty bad. They tend to be flattened out without perspective so as to be recognizable at distance, and the design has to be reproducible by artists with wildly varying skill, so it never looks all that great.

For a lot of these houses, the best representation of their sigil is going to be in artwork, tapestries, and detail work on clothing, weapons and armor, jewelry and furniture, not in their coat of arms, so to speak.

In terms of design, I think the best sigils are ones where the subject works flattened out, and is still distinctive, differentiating, connected with what the house is trying to represent, and easy to see at a distance.

So my two favorites are House Harlaw and House Liddle. House Harlaw because the silver scythe on black is brutally simple and iconic, and Liddle because it's so easy to make, so distinctive, and resists so many clichés.

Just the way House Liddle's sigil uses the shape of the treeline as the border between the green field and the white field is more advanced design than what most of the other houses are doing. And as we see from Bran's perspective, encountering a pine cone doesn't predispose you to hostility, which seems to be how way too many of the houses react to each other, even among allies. Or, rather, there are a lot of houses that try to get across that they are about prosperity and the land rather than fighting, but they tend to do it with either a very dead-on-the-nose depiction of an object (like the Fossoway apple), or an overly complicated mess (like the Darry plowman), or they require way too much inside knowledge of what is happening to be useful (like House Blackwood's cluster of a sigil, or any of the houses whose sigils are specific buildings, except House Hightower).

The Liddle pine cones have context and are not just sitting there, they have an interesting place in the composition, they can catch accent in clothing well.

Plus, they have a cool duality to them - they are seeds that grow, but they are also prickly and protective. The border of the treeline can be both a comfort to strangers and a metaphor for their longstanding authority in their own lands.

The only downside is I can imagine a lot of the time they look like turds.

I don't know all the sigils by a long shot. But two that I really like are the Glover mailed fist and the Umber roaring giant.

A strange feeling of disconnect that I sometimes experience is when some of the strongest sigils are associated with rather weak Houses, and then by contrast you have a powerful Northern House like the Dustins, with a history going back to the very beginning, with an underwhelming sigil along the lines of two rusted axes with a crown between them.

How can any sigil possibly beat a mailed fist for sheer awesomeness? Their words might as well be: "We will smite you". Just awesome. Pity it belongs to a weakish House like the Glovers, though.

Archived