At least 73 killed in Nice, Hundreds injured

Fragile Bird

Watching the tv news here in Canada.  A man drove a large truck through a square in Nice where people were celebrating Bastille Day, mowing them down.  The driver has been shot and killed.  At least 30 60 73 dead and 100 injured, but reports are saying hundreds injured.

ETA:  I have changed the number of dead from 30 to 60 to 73 as more deaths have been reported.  :(

The attack, as French media are calling it, occurred along the Promenade des Anglais, which is the walking area along the waterfront, very popular with both tourists and locals.

I have very happy memories of being on the Promenade des Anglais. :(

Keep safe, my southern neighbours! It is really horrible to see this happen on a day that is supposed to be your day and represent the day of liberty, equality and fraternity.

My live news says there are more than 60 people killed. 

40 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Keep safe, my southern neighbours! It is really horrible to see this happen on a day that is supposed to be your day and represent the day of liberty, equality and fraternity.

My live news says there are more than 60 people killed. 

73 is the latest count :( 

That weasel Drumpf has delayed his VP pick announcement in light of the events in France.  Presumably due to him not being able to hog the news cycle.  What a shit.

Terrible news from Nice.  France is fast becoming a soft target for terrorism, which is worrying.

There are interviews being done with folks on holiday in Nice, and someone mentioned they had left the Promenade just a few moments before the attack.  The Promenade was densely packed with families who had come down to watch the fireworks.

I'm deeply saddened by this, and by the Baghdad bombing a couple of weeks ago, and the Turkey bombings, and Dallas, and on and on and on and on. 

This is not going to stop. And so far all of the Western worlds "solutions" have been utter failures. Are we going to live in a world where we are completely desensitized to mass slaughter? Or will someone step up and try to restore sanity to this ever spiraling into lunacy world?

This seems to fast be morphing into the state of things around the world. Too many people, easy access to shitty ideology and weapons, decades of resentment and grievance... it's completely disheartening. And the stories and images coming out of Nice... heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking. 

I've never been so relieved about my decades old decision not to have children. 

Archived