Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

I don't think its "before", I think its between his daughter dying and the events of the show. His marriage flamed out, he became an alcoholic and moved to the country town, and my read was that he and Joyce had had a (probaly brief) relationship. He semed familiar with her relationship issues with the boys father beyond what the town cop would know, but in line with an ex-boyfriend, not to mention the right attitude for that to be why he knew as well.

I thought him knowing her relationship issues was to play into the small town where everyone knows everything vibe. Other than that though I agree with your version of the timeline for their relationship

I wasn't sure if I was missing some dialogue or scene where it was explained (I tend to miss some dialogues, so good that this was not the case apparently), or it was only my first impression of the characters. The police station scene in the pilot gave me the impression that he was acquainted with Joyce/Lonnie, but not in any particular way (no relationship or anything too important).

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, hence my hope it will get some Emmy love next year.

It would really surprise me if it didn't. The only difficulty it will face is bein aired very early in the year, so it's at the start of the eligible period

• 1 month later...

I just saw that its been announced that Sean Astin and Paul Riser have been cast for Season 2, and they play exactly the characters you'd think they'd play.

Sean Astin (The Goonies, Lord of the Rings trilogy) will play Bob Newby, “a kindhearted former nerd who went to high school with Joyce (Winona Ryder) and Hopper (David Harbour) and now manages the local Hawkins RadioShack.”

Paul Reiser (Aliens, Whiplash) has been cast as Dr. Owens, “a high-ranking member within the Department of Energy on a ‘clean-up’ assignment, tasked with containing the events of last year.”

Also, apparently season 2 is going to show up in Netflix listed as 'Stranger Things 2' rather than as Season 2 of Stranger Things; implying that its less a second season and more of a sequel. And one of the Duffers made the comparison that season 2 would be to season 1 as Aliens was to Alien or Terminator 2 was to Terminator. Which sounds like there's going to be more action in it; and maybe a hint that they have more of a budget this time.

I'm excited.

• 2 months later...

It's a bit late, but I am jumping the bandwagon... It is amazing. It is currently my n.1 2016 TV show. I adore my Jennings, but those kids were amazing. The story had its questionable moments but hey, don't let it ruin for you :D Otherwise, we would watch nothing and have nothing to complain on internet...

Great first season, we'll see how it'll work in its sophomore season. 

Just finished the show and also enjoyed it.  One thing I thought was interesting was the child actors were, IMO much better acted and often better written than the teenage characters.  I never liked Nancy or Steve or Steve's horrible friends (Jonathan was ok).  That is pretty unusual, since I don't know how old the teenagers actually were, but one would think they'd be better actors than the kids.  I also thought that Nancy's writing/dialogue was the weakest of any of the characters, so that didn't help.

Count me as among those that was REALLY surprised when Steve survived.  When the three of them were in Jonathan's room trying to trap the monster and Steve is standing by the window next to the Jaws poster, I thought it was all over for him. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Just finished the show and also enjoyed it.  One thing I thought was interesting was the child actors were, IMO much better acted and often better written than the teenage characters.  I never liked Nancy or Steve or Steve's horrible friends (Jonathan was ok).  That is pretty unusual, since I don't know how old the teenagers actually were, but one would think they'd be better actors than the kids.  I also thought that Nancy's writing/dialogue was the weakest of any of the characters, so that didn't help.

Count me as among those that was REALLY surprised when Steve survived.  When the three of them were in Jonathan's room trying to trap the monster and Steve is standing by the window next to the Jaws poster, I thought it was all over for him. 

Now you mention it I see your point. I guess there could be a few/combination of reasons. a) the script is more focused on the kids so is maybe stronger b ) because the kids are the focus they took more time ensuring they got the best actors or c) the teenage actors (who are probably early 20s) maybe studied some of the 80s films the show was imitating and were too influenced by the era, while the young actors just had fun with the role.

That said the actress who played Ellie threw down a gauntlet with her performance. The kind of showing that has you thinking she has a great career ahead of her. I'm also curious to see how the kid who played Finn does in the "It" movie - arguably similar material but the book covers some dark topics for the actor to handle.

35 minutes ago, red snow said:

That said the actress who played Ellie threw down a gauntlet with her performance. The kind of showing that has you thinking she has a great career ahead of her. I'm also curious to see how the kid who played Finn does in the "It" movie - arguably similar material but the book covers some dark topics for the actor to handle.

I agree, I'll be interested to see what she does in her future roles.

Who is Finn?

16 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, to me the show would have been just as good without the teens even in it. And yeah, Steve surviving and being with the sister at the end was really nice way to do it, normally that would never happen.

On 9/21/2016 at 9:23 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Did anyone see the Stranger Things kids perform at the Emmys? The world has gone crazy for them

Just saw this comment... You know what, one has to feel sorry for the kid who played Will. The lack of prominence in first season affected his popularity... 

Also, this show is wonderful thing to remind us how amazing Winona Ryder can be. I hope this will be her comeback. 

41 minutes ago, Risto said:

Just saw this comment... You know what, one has to feel sorry for the kid who played Will. The lack of prominence in first season affected his popularity... 

He still has to be more popular than Lucas. Lucas sucked. At least until the very end anyway.

9 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

He still has to be more popular than Lucas. Lucas sucked. At least until the very end anyway.

I liked Lucas.  His initial "we should tell our parents about Eleven" plan was totally correct in virtually all situations (except this one, because this is a tv show).  And then she basically threatened/forced him not to do so by slamming the door, which I would be pissed about too.  Then later he gets in a fistfight with one of his friends (which happens) and Elle almost kills him!  He is right to take that really seriously.  Calling Elle a freak all the time was pretty terrible though.

5 hours ago, Risto said:

He is basically "Doug" from The Hangover. The whole show revolves around his character but he is on screen very little. The other actors from that had their popularity sky rocket and he is, well, Doug.

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I liked Lucas.  His initial "we should tell our parents about Eleven" plan was totally correct in virtually all situations (except this one, because this is a tv show).  And then she basically threatened/forced him not to do so by slamming the door, which I would be pissed about too.  Then later he gets in a fistfight with one of his friends (which happens) and Elle almost kills him!  He is right to take that really seriously.  Calling Elle a freak all the time was pretty terrible though.

Agree with you, I like Lucas. Hell I liked all of the kids.

Archived