Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

27 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Sure I am.  I'm still living proof that being a kid in a small town in the 80s that happened to play D&D didn't automatically make me an "epic outcast".  Your initial post in this regard seemed far too broad, that's all.  There certainly may be correlation between playing D&D and being a "nerd" or being seen as an "outcast" but there isn't necessarily causation.

Also, "partied like a rockstar" is an absolutely spot-on description of how I and my friends partied in high school and college;)  

Clearly Stranger Things is not trying to tell the story of the kids as if they party like rockstars and play sports and hook up.

Clearly they are attempting to portray them as outcast nerds, and I don't think it comes across enough imo.

I knew this stereotype in the 80s, they were indeed epic outcasts. Similar to Magic the Gathering years later.

Of course not every player, apologies if my hyperbole wasn't obvious enough.

Just so you know I also don't think that playing D&D in the 80s was equal to sacrificing babies to Satan either.

Also I realize I'm coming off a bit snippy and rude here, apologies for that. One of those days ya know.

3 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Clearly Stranger Things is not trying to tell the story of the kids as if they party like rockstars and play sports and hook up.

Clearly they are attempting to portray them as outcast nerds, and I don't think it comes across enough imo.

I knew this stereotype in the 80s, they were indeed epic outcasts. Similar to Magic the Gathering years later.

Of course not every player, apologies if my hyperbole wasn't obvious enough.

Just so you know I also don't think that playing D&D in the 80s was equal to sacrificing babies to Satan either.

Ah, OK.  I think, in the case of Stranger Things, they are going more for a "they're nerds, therefore they play D&D" rather than a "they play D&D, therefore they're nerds" kind of thing.  In your initial post on this it seemed like you were insinuating more of the latter.  And in my own case (and, as I said, in others' who I've met over the years), I think, at least in part because we came from small towns, there was simply more ability to sort of move between the various arch stereotypes/cliques (think Breakfast Club).  This was simply because there weren't enough bodies for there to be distinct and separate groups of Jocks, Nerds, Lodies, Brains, etc.  So everyone ended up being some combination of them, in a way;)     

And, as far as it not coming across enough that they're outcasts, I don't have really strong feelings on that but I guess I do think they're doing it enough.  It seems to me that they get accosted enough when they're in the town or at school for me to get the idea and, of course, there is the kid pulling a knife on Mike at the quarry (which I think was a bit over the top but it provided the opportunity for Eleven to demonstrate her power, etc.) 

26 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Ah, OK.  I think, in the case of Stranger Things, they are going more for a "they're nerds, therefore they play D&D" rather than a "they play D&D, therefore they're nerds" kind of thing.  In your initial post on this it seemed like you were insinuating more of the latter.  And in my own case (and, as I said, in others' who I've met over the years), I think, at least in part because we came from small towns, there was simply more ability to sort of move between the various arch stereotypes/cliques (think Breakfast Club).  This was simply because there weren't enough bodies for there to be distinct and separate groups of Jocks, Nerds, Lodies, Brains, etc.  So everyone ended up being some combination of them, in a way;)     

And, as far as it not coming across enough that they're outcasts, I don't have really strong feelings on that but I guess I do think they're doing it enough.  It seems to me that they get accosted enough when they're in the town or at school for me to get the idea and, of course, there is the kid pulling a knife on Mike at the quarry (which I think was a bit over the top but it provided the opportunity for Eleven to demonstrate her power, etc.) 

Definately meant it as "they're nerds therefore they play D&D" That plus other little things add up to them should having much rougher experiences in school in my eyes. Such as being in the AV club. I moved a lot in the and went to about 6 different school in the 80s and being in the AV club pretty much meant you were signing up to be a punching bag at all of them.

AnD Id prefer them not to be so cute and be more 80s trope nerd. Coke bottle glasses, high pants, pocket protecters, all of it.

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

I remember this being discussed here on the board at the time and I agreed with those who felt this was quite a bit over the top and obviously intended to showcase Elle (Eleven).

Bottom line, though, bring on Season 2! 

Yeah - that kid should really be in a young offenders' institute or receiving help as he would have killed someone if a kid with superpowers hadn't turned up. It was OTT.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

They could genre-shift in Season 2, focus less on the homages to '80s coming of age stories and more on homages to '80s horror stories. 

One of the episodes in Season 2 is going to be called "The Pumpkin Patch" after all.

So a bit more Freddy and Jason. I'm pleased you weren't saying the focus was solely on coming of age - although I guess Alien is a coming of age tale from the alien's POV :P

On 20/01/2017 at 11:38 AM, red snow said:

Yeah - that kid should really be in a young offenders' institute or receiving help as he would have killed someone if a kid with superpowers hadn't turned up. It was OTT.

There are kids who really do end up in young offenders' institutes in real life (hence the existence of young offenders' institutes). Doesn't seem unrealistic to me that he'd go overboard after being publicly humiliated like that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2017 at 2:49 AM, felice said:

There are kids who really do end up in young offenders' institutes in real life (hence the existence of young offenders' institutes). Doesn't seem unrealistic to me that he'd go overboard after being publicly humiliated like that.

That's not what I thought was unrealistic. What I thought was unrealistic was that he didn't wind up in some form of care/rehabilitation. Besides a scary encounter with Elle there didn't seem to be much in the way of consequence for him.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's not what I thought was unrealistic. What I thought was unrealistic was that he didn't wind up in some form of care/rehabilitation. Besides a scary encounter with Elle there didn't seem to be much in the way of consequence for him.

Didn't he get his arm broken? There were no adult witnesses, and the only evidence of the encounter suggests he's the victim, so it's reasonable enough that he's not officially recognised as a real problem (yet).

I have a question for people's who are in the know for both Stranger Things and Dungeons and Dragons from back then. Was that quest they finished on the last episode the norm for that edition? It seemed kinda week. I mean, they found the final boss, rolled once to hit him with a fireball, and won. Or was he just a really bad DM?

37 minutes ago, red snow said:

I would not be surprised if the show isn't done with him yet. The boys no longer have Eleven to protect them from him. Plus his encounter with her probably would have made him even more angry and prone to violence against them (and people in general.)

38 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I have a question for people's who are in the know for both Stranger Things and Dungeons and Dragons from back then. Was that quest they finished on the last episode the norm for that edition? It seemed kinda week. I mean, they found the final boss, rolled once to hit him with a fireball, and won. Or was he just a really bad DM?

You may find this article interesting, though it doesn't specifically answer your question. http://geekandsundry.com/stranger-things-a-dungeons-dragons-history-check/

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

You may find this article interesting, though it doesn't specifically answer your question. http://geekandsundry.com/stranger-things-a-dungeons-dragons-history-check/

Thank you. From the article it looks like even back then the demogorgan was one of the more powerful being around. So him being defeated by one fireball when he's supposed to be highly resistant to magic seems to be the fault of the DM. 

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Why would that make him a bad DM? A good DM isn't necessarily someone who adheres strictly to rule or plot. Rather, a good DM creates a story his players enjoy. 

55 minutes ago, Relic said:

Why would that make him a bad DM? A good DM isn't necessarily someone who adheres strictly to rule or plot. Rather, a good DM creates a story his players enjoy. 

I suppose that is true..... but then I'm just going to have to be disappointed in the kids for enjoying an inferior product. 

36 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The creature in the finale D&D game was a thessalhydra, not a demogorgon.

You sir, are 100% correct. I completely forgot about that. 

I think my objection of it being killed with one fireball still stands though. 

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

I would not be surprised if the show isn't done with him yet. The boys no longer have Eleven to protect them from him. Plus his encounter with her probably would have made him even more angry and prone to violence against them (and people in general.)

I hope so - in a weird way he's an interesting character to develop. Why is he so cruel? Will he learn to back off the gang or will he punish him them further now Elle's not around. Although i suspect the show will have her back pretty quickly.

I like the "member ghostbusters" set photo. Actually I'm relieved I watched season one before the most recent season of south park as I suspect I'd constantly be saying "member x"

14 hours ago, red snow said:

Elle's not around. Although i suspect the show will have her back pretty quickly

I think Eleven will return to the show fairly early on, probably the second episode. But I expect her to be interacting with Hooper and not the boys for a bit. Because of his daughter issues and the leaving the eggos in the woods and also (not a real spoiler but speculation based on description of a new character)

Max a 12-14-year-old female described as “tough and confident”  and whose “appearance, behavior and pursuits seem more typical of boys than of girls in this era.” Max uses her skateboard to get around everywhere. She has a difficult relationship with her step-brother Billy that’s “made her protective of her past and  generally suspicious of those around her.” She’s also good on a skateboard, which she uses to get around pretty much everywhere. 

Sounds like someone who may temporarily replace Elle in the group leading to tension when she inevitably returns. Oh also apparently they cast her and her brother. I didn't know that until now. 

Also because it'd be super weird if Hooper didn't at some point taker her on a road trip to see her mother.

Archived