Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, Dragon's Lair. Such a cool game at the time. I miss arcades. Was that a hint at the plot to season 2? If so, who's Dirk the Daring and Princess Daphne? Singe? Awesome! Great trailer.

On 23/07/2017 at 2:14 AM, Astromech said:

Oh man, Dragon's Lair. Such a cool game at the time. I miss arcades. Was that a hint at the plot to season 2? If so, who's Dirk the Daring and Princess Daphne? Singe? Awesome! Great trailer.

Well.. it LOOKED amazing. Until you realised you didn't really control anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first season of Stranger Things was terrific, and I'm really excited for the second one (even the trailer was terrific). The character I liked best was actually Jonathan, which is ironic, since he's the one character no one ever really talks about, and when they do, it's always in relation to Nancy (just look at this thread) which I think is a pretty big disservice to the character. Maybe it's just because I didn't grow up watching 80s movies, but I didn't see him as being a "cliche teenage outcast." Rather than just being some angsty loner, he was portrayed as a pretty caring person who could admit when he was wrong and was forced to step up as a kind of surrogate parent and provider when he was barely old enough to drive. (I also disagree with the claim that he's a 'Nice Guy' type. He doesn't show any bitterness or anger when Nancy gets back together with Steve at the end; if anything, he seems kind of confused as to why she's still talking to him).

On the contrary, if you'll forgive me for using the term, I felt the show tried too hard to make Nancy "happen." Her not dying or getting knocked up after having sex with Steve wasn't enough of a groundbreaker for me to be mesmerized by her. I feel like the show tried desperately to make her an embodiment of "badass girl power," and it just didn't work for me. 

I can see Steve's appeal, but I found his redemption arc a bit rushed: it felt like it was just shoe-horned into the last episode. I don't think he and Nancy will end up staying together, but I do think they can still keep him as part of plot by developing him as more of an individual character and hopefully keep him as comedic relief, because he is pretty funny.

Barb. . . look, I liked Barb too. She got a raw deal. But this "justice for Barb" movement has gotten way out of hand. She was a likable, sympathetic character, but at the end of the day, she was a minor character who was created for Nancy's character development, not her own. 

I don't really have much to add regarding the kids. Plain and simple, they were great. Everything that could be said about them already has been, so I just hope they continue to be great as the series continues.

I liked both Hopper and Joyce, although I do feel like Winona went a bit overboard at times (that may have been more the director's fault, however). 

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sean Astin next season, and I'm crossing my fingers that they'll have a scene of him standing in front of a Goonies poster at some point :D

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sean Astin next season, and I'm crossing my fingers that they'll have a scene of him standing in front of a Gonnies poster at some point :D

Oh yeah, make it so! :D

6 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm pretty sure that Winona Rider wasn't acting.

:lol:

To give Winona some credit, she did have her moments. The very first scene she was in, when she asked Jonathan about when he last saw Will and he told her that he had worked an extra shift the night before because he "thought they could use the money," I remember watching Joyce's face and thinking, "oh, she's not just upset because Jonathan was supposed to be home with Will, she's also guilty that she has to rely on her teenage son to help support the family." Then a few weeks later, I read an interview Winona did where she talked about Joyce's guilt for relying so much on Jonathan, which seemed like a confirmation to me that that was what she was going for in that scene. It was a lot to convey with just one expression, so I have to give her credit for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since it looks like no one else has posted any new material in a while, here's the newest trailer and some promo pics:

http://collider.com/stranger-things-season-2-final-trailer-netflix/#netflix

Judging by what we see here, I'm guessing that:

1. Eleven goes looking for her mother (that appears to be Terry's house that she breaks into)
  2. The adults take Will to an institute in hopes of getting answers about what's happening to him. I'm a little surprised that they would put any trust in the government at this point, but I guess there'll be some sort of explanation
  3. Something prompts Jonathan and Nancy to go on a road trip (they're in a motel room at one point) and judging by that one shot of Nancy looking scared, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up getting stuck in the Upside Down at one point. Which leads us to. . .
  4. Steve going on an adventure with the kids, most likely unravel some sort of mystery or disappearance
  5. I'm guessing Steve and this new guy, Billy, are rivals of some sort. It looks like Billy's punching him in the face at one point

I'm not sure if anyone important will die this year. I realize that this is a partial-horror show, which would mean that death is inevitable, but I feel like it might be a little early. This is such a character-driven show; I think the story would benefit most from keeping the cast together for a bit longer. Though to be fair, when I finished season one, I did have this ominous feeling that Will might be toast (writers do love their irony). The trailers have me thinking that this probably won't happen, at least not yet, but you never know. . . 

I'm avoiding any more news or trailers. Part of the appeal of the first season for me was how out of the blue it was for me. I didn't know anything going in, hadn't watched any trailers or even had any idea what it was going to be about. Obviously it's impossible to recreate that for season two and my expectations are high but I'm going in relatively unspoiled save for the first trailer and Super Bowl promo which didn't give away too much

Archived