Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

After watching IT twice I need to re-watch season one before this starts. Otherwise I know I'll conflate Finn Wolfhard's two characters.  I mean they're pretty different but I've only ever seen this kid play an 80's nerd fighting an extra-dimensional horror after a girl joins his social group. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are we just going to stick with this thread for season two as well? I wasn't sure if there was going to be a new thread, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

I've finished bingeing ST2, but I'm going to need some time to mull this season over before I can really comment on anything.

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

We're two episodes in... So far its maintained most of the things that made the first season so special... Dustin is hamming it up a bit... but Lucas' little sister was hilarious... drunk Nancy ruled... and the kids being the ones one at school in costume had me howling

Even though I felt so bad for Steve, that was a great scene. There was something hilarious about Nancy slurring "it's bullshit!" over and over again. 

It was definitely more aliens than alien this time, and less carpentery. At times it felt like defenders or daredevil. It suffered from not having nearly the newness the first season did. 

On 10/15/2017 at 5:52 PM, Corvinus said:

I need to re-watch the Goonies, because you know there'll be some direct references to it with Sean Astin in season 2. It's been too long.

Hmm, what's at the X, pirate treasure?" 

:lmao: 

19 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

I agree. I liked it but I have to think about it. That is the price when you watch for 7 hours straight. I really didn't like the episode in Pittsburgh.  

I didn't like that episode either, and we're definitely not alone in that. There were a lot of great things about this season, but there were also some things that didn't quite sit well with me. I didn't think this season was half as funny as last year, despite a lot of critics saying otherwise. With the exception of Will, the kids' plots weren't nearly as interesting to me. The teens were really likable, but they didn't really do much. And then there's the fact that this season basically had the same ending as the first one: everything goes to hell, and then Eleven uses her superpowers to banish the monsters. The conspiracy theorist guy, Murray, was also a little off to me. I think the actor did fine with what he was given, but the character just didn't mesh with the rest of the show, in my opinion. Billy also stuck out quite a bit. 

Four episodes in, I really like it. It looks like they've incorporated elements of Alien/Aliens in it, what with the new demogorgon. Casting Paul Riser should have been a clue, but I forgot he was cast. It even took me a minute to recognize him. It clicked in the first episode when he was explaining PTSD to Joyce and Hopper; it reminded me very much when Burke shows up to Ripley's apartment to tell her about the mission.

8 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm, what's at the X, pirate treasure?" 

:lmao: 

I didn't get to that part unless I missed it in the first 4 episodes, but thanks for the heads up. I did re-watch the Goonies earlier this week.

I enjoyed this a little bit more than Season 1, which was great the first time I watched it and really didn't stand up on rewatches (at least until about halfway through). This feels a bit stronger and well-supported. Breaking the Fellowship up and having them pursue different storylines which mesh up later on is a standard sequel trope, but it worked quite well. The increase in the epic scale of events felt earned and effective.

I did think they went overboard on CGI. Season 1 really only used it for the creature and to flesh out the Upside Down. Season 2 went bonkers with using it for establishing shots of the lab (this really stood out compared to Season 1's establishing shots, which all seemed to be real building shots or drone cams) and tons of other stuff. It stood out badly in the school corridors in Episode 2 when we see Eleven escape from the Upside Down, where it looked like a mid-2000s corridor FPS.

An interesting idea is that Billy is gay. He seems really uninterested in the girls of the town despite his boasting but did seem to have a bit of an interest in Steve in the shower scene, and his dad does us that homophobic slur on him. The only problem is that Billy is an antagonist and the antagonist also being gay is one trope we can probably move beyond (although Will may also be gay, which the actor is happy for people to interpret). I'm also wondering if the bit of the smoke monster (retro Lost reference?) inside Will is still out there somewhere. It'd make sense for it to possess someone else and starting working to open the portal again, which could be how they use Billy in later seasons.

I have no idea what they're going to do in Season 3. I'd rest the Upside Down for a season and maybe make it more about Eleven and the other experimental subjects like Eight and her gang (who clearly are being left on the shelf for use later on). If the Duffer Brothers are sticking with their four-season plan they could then have the real final showdown with the shadow monster in the final season. If they need another season (they have said it'll likely be four but maybe five), they could also do a Needful Things season with maybe a shadow-possessed character (Billy?) turning the townsfolk on one another or causing a siege situation.

I really didn't like the episode in Pittsburgh.  

Do you mean Chicago? Only the prelude to the first episode is set in Pittsburgh, whilst almost all of Episode 8 is set in Chicago.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

An interesting idea is that Billy is gay. He seems really uninterested in the girls of the town despite his boasting but did seem to have a bit of an interest in Steve in the shower scene, and his dad does us that homophobic slur on him. The only problem is that Billy is an antagonist and the antagonist also being gay is one trope we can probably move beyond (although Will may also be gay, which the actor is happy for people to interpret). I'm also wondering if the bit of the smoke monster (retro Lost reference?) inside Will is still out there somewhere. It'd make sense for it to possess someone else and starting working to open the portal again, which could be how they use Billy in later seasons.

I hadn't picked up on that theory about Billy while I was watching the show, but I'm seeing more people bring it up now. It's definitely a compelling theory. It could, of course, have been unintentional, but the Duffers seem to pay close attention to fan theories and what the viewers are saying, so I think we might be hearing more about it later on down the line. Despite them claiming beforehand that Billy would be a full-on villain, I'm not sure he's going to stay that way. Watching him bully Max was horrible, but by the end up the season, I actually didn't find myself hating him. I was angry with him for attacking Steve, of course (although the fact that all the kids just stood back in watched up until Max broke out the syringe was kind of annoying. There are five of you, and one of him, guys. Do the math) but he became interesting enough that I'm more curious about learning more about him. Maybe he will be a full-fledged villain, but I could also see them going the Steve/Dr. Owens route with him as well.

Perhaps Dustin should have named Dartagnan Gordon Chumley instead.

Halfway through and really enjoying it. Eleven's story has a been a bit boring so far and Billy seems like a worthless character, but everything else has been great.

The scariest part of this season so far is how recklessly Joyce drives that Ford Pinto. Doesn't she know how dangerous those cars are?

Archived