Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

Just finished it.  I'm with Wert in thinking it is better than season 1.  Also very much agree with the Alien/Aliens comparison between the two.

Also loved the Aliens homage at the end of episode 6 even to the point of having one of the soldiers say "Stay Frosty"

I also really really dig the Steve character and how the show has handled him. Standard 80's "jock" bully turned selfless protector and mentor. Just awesome.

4 episodes in and enjoying it a lot. I'm releived that the kid who was missing last season is holding up well (I was concerned the part was maybe hastily cast given the character's minor role in S1). I'm a bit concerned that the only black kid in the town still appears to be the only one who doesn't get their own story/focus but I'm hoping that changes as the season goes on. Dustin has a mogwai, Mike has his connection with Elle, Elle has her own story (and no wonder given how strong the actress is), and Will has his story. Will has virtually nothing going on - sharing screen time with a new character Max.

Is David Harbour wearing a fat suit? Because I'm finding it hard to beleive that Hopper looks like this with his shirt off.

Sean Astin is doing a great job as an everyman - I really hope he remains as such as it's nice to have characters who are down to earth.

Also great they have the weasel from Aliens as the head of the lab - great genre reference and fun to know he's going to live up to the role (from what I've seen so far)

Sort of kicking myself that Gremlins was something I never considered them using. Fun that Elle is the one lumbered with the three rules :)

Right, back to it.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Is David Harbour wearing a fat suit? Because I'm finding it hard to beleive that Hopper looks like this with his shirt off.

This was him a few months ago when he started training for Hellboy. So he's not quite as big as Hopper is in the show but he's not quite as ripped as Hellboy either (I suspect the Hellboy shots used CG or a full prosthetic body shot).

Finished up Season 2; I think it was a bit better than Season 1 (which I also really liked), but I'll need to rewatch it again at some point to be sure. Whenever I do, I may skip episode 7 (Chicago) though. That really felt like it was setting up some sort of spin-off show with that cast and was too disconnected/momentum-killing from the season. Beyond that though, I thought it was really well done, even if some (though not all) of the plot points were fairly obviously going to happen.

The kids were all very impressive with their expanded roles this season, especially Will. And I thought all the newcomers fit right in, even Brett Gelman's conspiracy theorist/investigative reporter. I thought the Billy/Max story was a bit weak, based on the first couple episodes I thought there was going to be more of a mystery there. And considering how much screentime Billy got, I really hope he's a more important antagonist next season.

I'm up for basically any plotline next season, except one. I don't want a quest to find all the other test subjects (1-7 and 9-10). I think the show works best staying in Hawkins and continuing to build out the town. Also, I hope they can figure out a way to structure the season so it doesn't end with Eleven saving everyone again. That works fine twice, but three times would be pushing it.

31 minutes ago, Fez said:

Also, I hope they can figure out a way to structure the season so it doesn't end with Eleven saving everyone again. That works fine twice, but three times would be pushing it.

I'm curious but why? I really liked that they had the other kids actually doing something to help (and Steve)this season but come on.  She is the only one with superpowers/the force.  She is going to save the day.

I'm kind of hoping that the Mind Flayer still keeps coming to Will but more sneakily this time so it sets up him as an antagonist who also has powers. 

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

Do you mean Chicago? Only the prelude to the first episode is set in Pittsburgh, whilst almost all of Episode 8 is set in Chicago.

Sorry, my bad. I meant ep 7, whick takes place in Chicago, and felt like an ABC Marvel show. I didn't even like the actors playing the kids in the gang. And it felt like they were setting the season 3 plotline with this ep. 

As someone mentioned above, i hope season 3 does not end with El having a mind batle with the monster again. It was already repetitive this season. And i believed that Will was going to be the one to defeate it, since he started gaining powers throught their conection.

I also think it was better than season 1 but just barely. Unlike season 1, it had an episode that I disliked (ep. 3) but the first two episodes and then everything after 3 was stellar. I actually very much liked El's standalone episode even though it was a break in the action. It answered a lot of questions and placed El in a situation where she had to decide how far she was willing to go with her rage at the facility. I was happy with her decision.

Other thoughts:

-I loved the ending and am glad we had a conclusion and not a cliffhanger. Yes, the Mind Flayer is looming but these kids may get some time to be real kids before they have to go back to being warriors. The events at the dance were sweet, even for poor Dustin and that hair of his!

- Though one thing that did bother me about the last episode is that there seemed to be no consequences to the kids being gone all day and night while fighting the Mind Flayer. Yes, things were different in the 80's but not THAT different.

- I hadn't thought Billy was gay until you guys mentioned it. I thought he had narcissistic tendencies along with rage issues due to his father's abuse. But he DOES seem to be rather obsessed Steve that could be more than just competition. That locker room shower scene could be viewed as some classic hoy yay. :P Then again, it's very possible that he's banging Mike's mom next season. :rofl:

- I think Noah "Will" Schnapp will get a LOT of award nominations over the next year. His performance required some big acting and I think he delivered.

Ok, three episodes in and not reading any posts because I don't want to be spoiled, I didn't even watch any of the trailers before this season was up.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this! I was wary the Duffer Bros. could recapture the magic of last season but so far to me it seems they have and more.

Just some quick things that popped into my head as I watched this.

Love the "Stranger Things 2" intro like it's a movie sequel not a second season of a TV series.

Knew the quarters were for a video game. Dragons Lair! A notorious quarter eater. $.50 a try and when you first start playing your game can be over in less than a minute.

Like last season was an amalgamation of all things 80's but heavy on the sci-fi/fantasy/horror it did seem to be paying heavy homage to E.T. This season is the same with plenty of wonderful references and homages to many iconic 80's nostalgia but even with the obvious, wonderful, and awesome Ghostbusters imagery and themes I'm getting more than anything a Gremlins feel:

- The "Three Rules" for not being stupid

- Dart not liking bright light

- The dead pumpkins looking like the burst Gremlins cocoons.

- The scene where Dart escapes the background music score sounds so much like the Gremlins theme.

Paul Reiser is playing a reprise version of Carter Burke.

Holy fuck, Cthulhu is in the upside down, or at the very least some Lovecraftian creature.

Dear lord Sean Astin what happened to you? That Members Only jacket looks ready to pop at any second.

The kid who shoots the sheriff with the cap gun and says "You're dead!", Foreshadowing? 

ETA:

Halfway through episode 4 now.

Members Only jackets...uh-oh. All the fed or scientist government people are "members" so maybe Bob is one too, recruited then planted to keep an eye on Will and the whole family?

Finished it, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Even Ep. 7, which pauses the main plot development, was still good, because it was great for El's journey.

While this season felt like a lot of things were brought closure (Hawkins Lab closing, justice for Barb, El is back and together with Mike etc.) there is still stuff to do to keep the story in Hawkins, though we'll probably get more of the that other girl, Eight, or whatever her name is, and maybe other kids, too. And despite the government backing off El, there may be rogue elements out there who will still have an interest in her. 

However on the Hawkins side, we'll get the Mind Flayer again, because I think now El is in its sights, so while others may hope not to see another confrontation between El and the monster, I think it's unavoidable. But maybe the Mind Flayer won't be involved directly, but work through proxies. I think the shadow thing that possessed Will is still out there and will cause some trouble.

And screw justice for Barb, how about JUSTICE FOR BOB!!! I had a feeling he would die from the start, he was too nice of a guy. But I loved that he had some important contributions in the plot. But did they really have to kill him off in fucking slow mo!!! :crying:

Every scene with Dustin and Steve nailed it.  I liked how they actually developed the kids personalities as they've aged, and the introduction of some of their families.  Max was a great character too.  What was up with her brother and parents though.  Seems they really glossed over a lot there.  And was the brother just a flaming racist, or why the hell did he have such animosity towards Lucas?

Was everybody else extremely suspicious of Bob (and Dr. Owens - although with good reason here)?  I was glad to see both of them not being completely underhanded shills for the man.  

Steve getting his face completely pummeled seems like it's going to be an annual tradition :lol: 

The episode with 008 was not good.  Felt like the Marvel series that seem to have an episode in that vein every season.  They should have tried to get more time Eleven and the boys together.

13 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

However on the Hawkins side, we'll get the Mind Flayer again, because I think now El is in its sights, so while others may hope not to see another confrontation between El and the monster, I think it's unavoidable. But maybe the Mind Flayer won't be involved directly, but work through proxies. I think the shadow thing that possessed Will is still out there and will cause some trouble.

Yeah, the last shot with it looming over the junior high in the Upside Down made me think it is seething and planning vengeance. It's not mindless like Demogorgan, it is highly intelligent and made calculated moves that might've worked if not for it's one weakness: the hive mind. The Hawkins gang were only able to win because they were able to lure the Demo-dogs away from the gate to give El time. Methinks the Mind Flayer will spend the next year re-thinking it's strategy.

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

And was the brother just a flaming racist, or why the hell did he have such animosity towards Lucas?

Yes he's a flaming racist and I thought it was meant to be framed as him taking his anger out as his abusive as fuck Dad on the people he can find as acceptable targets. Whether the "he's gay" theory is right or not, the Dad is very clearly an abusive fuck and left him with a lot of anger and lack of respect for others.

I'm in the group that enjoyed this at least as much as season 1, and also in the much smaller group that enjoyed the episode with 008. I can see why you feel like it didn't fit within the atmosphere of the show though, it just didn't bother me. You can all see thematically what they were going for it with it right? It just didn't land for you anyway?

Watched this over the weekend... just like with season 1, I intended to space out the episodes and wound up just racing through them all.

Assorted thoughts:

- I was totally on board for Sean Astin as Bob the Hero, saving everyone at the lab. It was obvious he would die, but ST probably couldn't afford to have him back anyway. He went out a hero!

- Dustin and Steve was the awesome character team-up I didn't know I needed. Loved every scene they had together. So good.

- Great performances all round. Will stands out, of course, but they really all were sound.

- Not 100% happy at having Nancy and Jonathan get together. Felt a bit cliche. Also, have they ever addressed him stalking her?

- Nancy dancing with Dustin was... not as nice as I think the writers intended. It's a pat on the head for the character. I mean, obviously Nancy was being nice, nothing wrong with that, but it felt a bit weird as a writing choice, particularly when you have Random Girl B asking Will for a dance out of nowhere.

- Max was great. Good solid addition to the cast. But the element of rivalry between her and Eleven was forced and felt awkward and ugly. A poor writing choice. Still, I wanted to see more of her: the actress did a really good job.

- I felt like Billy's dad was being set up as an antagonist as much as Billy was. Billy picked up that racist shit somewhere. Also, Dacre Montgomery was absolutely channeling young Rob Lowe, it was uncanny.

- the Chicago episode was a strange diversion but I didn't hate it. Also it gave Eleven a cool new look. And I liked that Eleven got to meet her mother.

- Paul Reiser was also great but his survival makes no sense. He was wounded by the Demodogs and then they... left him in a stairwell? Why not just have him survive unharmed in the monitor room?

- they did give a decent resolution to the Barb plot, which was nice.

Overall, I thought it was at least as good as season 1, better in places but perhaps a bit more fanservice-y.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

- Paul Reiser was also great but his survival makes no sense. He was wounded by the Demodogs and then they... left him in a stairwell? Why not just have him survive unharmed in the monitor room?

On a re-watch with my daughter, it occurred to me why the the dogs left him alone: the phone ringing at the Byers house. Once the Mind Flayer heard it, it ordered the dogs away from the facility to go kill Will's captors. As I said upthread,I think the hive mind is the Mind Flayer's Achilles heel. As far as that plot direction, the writers may have felt they needed to give Paul Resier's character a good reason to help El get a fake birth certificate that say she's Hopper's child. Hopper saved the doc from bleeding out. 

5 hours ago, mormont said:

- Nancy dancing with Dustin was... not as nice as I think the writers intended. It's a pat on the head for the character. I mean, obviously Nancy was being nice, nothing wrong with that, but it felt a bit weird as a writing choice, particularly when you have Random Girl B asking Will for a dance out of nowhere.

I can't be the only one who was extremely disappointed that Dart didn't show up in a dress and dance with him. Or maybe I am. 

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Random Girl B addressed Will as Zombie Boy when she asked him, so we don't know if she actually has an interest in him, or she did it on a dare, though either way Will has the appeal of being this strange guy, whereas Dustin doesn't have really have any appeal whatsoever. Also, he was the one who was really trying, so it is another classic trope that the guy who tries too much is the one to heave the least success. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Random Girl B addressed Will as Zombie Boy when she asked him, so we don't know if she actually has an interest in him, or she did it on a dare, though either way Will has the appeal of being this strange guy, whereas Dustin doesn't have really have any appeal whatsoever. Also, he was the one who was really trying, so it is another classic trope that the guy who tries too much is the one to heave the least success. 

Dustin doesn't have 'any appeal whatsoever'? What about his awesome hair? :P

Seriously, that's a description of the writing choice, not a defence of it. Or at least, a part of the writing choice, not including having Nancy pat Dustin on the head as a consolation prize, which is the weirdest choice. The characters are social outcasts, fair enough, but that applies no less and probably more to Will than Dustin, who at least is gregarious: and if the girl asked Will on a dare, that's cruel, which makes the scene even weirder tonally.

I just think the whole scene overdoes the 'lovable loser' aspect of Dustin as a character. He loses out to Lucas over Max. He picks himself up from that with a smile and puts himself out there, only to get blown off. And then his reward is a pity dance with his friend's (attached, older) sister? Is that what the writers think of their character? Sad, if so.

Archived