Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

One typical cliche that didn't happen:

Steve didn't die when he blundered in the Buyers house. Nor did he die when he bravely faced the demigorgon.

And on that topic I would to comment on how the creature could be beaten. At first I thought it was a bit of poor writing when a dozen trained guys with guns were completely ineffective at stopping the demigorgon, but Steve with the customized baseball bat was able to beat it back into the trap. But then I recalled Nancy with her gun was just as ineffective, and she was pretty much shooting from point blank range. And the show established that she is a decent shot. So I think there is something there to expand upon regarding the demigorgon's nature, and hopefully season 2 will answer this.

35 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

One typical cliche that didn't happen:

Reveal hidden contents

Steve didn't die when he blundered in the Buyers house. Nor did he die when he bravely faced the demigorgon.

And on that topic I would to comment on how the creature could be beaten. At first I thought it was a bit of poor writing when a dozen trained guys with guns were completely ineffective at stopping the demigorgon, but Steve with the customized baseball bat was able to beat it back into the trap. But then I recalled Nancy with her gun was just as ineffective, and she was pretty much shooting from point blank range. And the show established that she is a decent shot. So I think there is something there to expand upon regarding the demigorgon's nature, and hopefully season 2 will answer this.

With Steve, he was actually striking the demigorgon with the bat, and so it was being pushed back by force. I don't think the bat particularly hurt it, nor did the flames or bear trap; it was quite clearly healthy when it reached the school (there is a possibility I toyed with that there were two or more, and the yellow thing Hopper saw in the upside down was an egg...but that's another topic). So my thinking is that it can't be hurt or killed by any normal means, but it is still subject to thing like force to push it backward. The guns were ineffective because it was such a big creature and a bullet isn't going to push it backwards.

I felt really bad for Barb, and Barb's parents. Presumably the story that she "ran away" has to persist, so they must feel awful :( I'll also confess that I thought it was Barb's corpse that was found in the quarry at first 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Hide contents

With Steve, he was actually striking the demigorgon with the bat, and so it was being pushed back by force. I don't think the bat particularly hurt it, nor did the flames or bear trap; it was quite clearly healthy when it reached the school (there is a possibility I toyed with that there were two or more, and the yellow thing Hopper saw in the upside down was an egg...but that's another topic). So my thinking is that it can't be hurt or killed by any normal means, but it is still subject to thing like force to push it backward. The guns were ineffective because it was such a big creature and a bullet isn't going to push it backwards.

I felt really bad for Barb, and Barb's parents. Presumably the story that she "ran away" has to persist, so they must feel awful :( I'll also confess that I thought it was Barb's corpse that was found in the quarry at first 

I don't think that teenager would have the force in a bat swing to push an 8 foot monster back, while a hail of bullets wouldn't.  And if the monster can't feel pain from the bullets it shouldn't feel pain from the bat, therefore there really wouldn't be a reason to be driven back. I maintain that there is more to what can affect the creature. Perhaps the speed of the projectile. 

:dunno: 

12 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Thats pretty cool. I gotta get one of those posters.

There's at least one trope they didn't mention....

Hide contents

The completely clueless "do as your mother says" 80s movie dad trope that is Mikes father. That was a staple of the decade.

Haha yes. Not much of a spoiler but oh well,

Spoiler

Latchkey kids were a big phenomenon in the 80s with both parents or single parents working. That article also failed to mention the kids looking for rocks for their slingshot, a la It

Yeah, I think there's a cultural reason for the trope.  Latchkey kids were a thing, and I remember many of my friends coming home to an empty house and not having parents around for hours.

Despite children today being safer than ever, it is now often a crime to allow a child this age to be home alone.  Society has sort of rubberbanded the other direction.

26 minutes ago, The Human Abstract said:

Yeah, I think there's a cultural reason for the trope.  Latchkey kids were a thing, and I remember many of my friends coming home to an empty house and not having parents around for hours.

Despite children today being safer than ever, it is now often a crime to allow a child this age to be home alone.  Society has sort of rubberbanded the other direction.

A few of my friends had very similar situations to the Byers growing up. Their mothers were constantly working to provide for their kids.

10 minutes ago, Commodore said:

end of episode 3 had me

also, Michael's dad was the best

The music is great. John Byers has quite the taste in music.

22 hours ago, Astromech said:

You will probably enjoy this article on the easter eggs in Stranger Things. Everything just seems so familiar. http://www.zimbio.com/Beyond+the+Tube/articles/DCxdpSift92/80s+Beyond+Easter+Eggs+Stranger+Things

13 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Thats pretty cool. I gotta get one of those posters.

There's at least one trope they didn't mention....

Reveal hidden contents

The completely clueless "do as your mother says" 80s movie dad trope that is Mikes father. That was a staple of the decade.

35 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Haha yes. Not much of a spoiler but oh well,

Reveal hidden contents

Latchkey kids were a big phenomenon in the 80s with both parents or single parents working. That article also failed to mention the kids looking for rocks for their slingshot, a la It

In terms of film tropes 

dumb small town cops; semi-competent bad guys/gov agents (their competency is directly controlled by the plot); school bullies; a big secret gov facility near the town, but apparently none of its employees live in the town; an over-qualified science teacher; shop lifting scene (or at least one weird scene in a grocery store)

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

In terms of film tropes 

Reveal hidden contents

dumb small town cops; semi-competent bad guys/gov agents (their competency is directly controlled by the plot); school bullies; a big secret gov facility near the town, but apparently none of its employees live in the town; an over-qualified science teacher; shop lifting scene (or at least one weird scene in a grocery store)

Haha, there are so many.

Spoiler

I had to laugh when Lucas was donning his army surplus gear and bandana.

On 18/07/2016 at 10:13 PM, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

See my first read of that scene was along the lines of "He was working for them all along" DUN DUN DUN. but that doesn't make sense at all. I like your explanation better, but I still don't see him as a "fed" in the past. Maybe a Vietnam officer? But many people express doubt in his abilities as a lawman. You'd have to believe he was running one helluva long con just in case this girl ever got out. Which again goes totally against his (admittedly last minute) characterization as a father who lost everything.

I think it's more likely that A: the "Department of Energy" is not willing to let El go that easily and B: They're holding all the main characters lives over the Chief's head. Even if El and the monster were dead, why should they not have killed / "debriefed" the kids and their families? They know too much. I mean christ a kid came back from the dead. Officially he was buried. It only seem logical that they'd exhume the "body" after he came back. But somehow the government people let all this happen, and I think the chief is the reason why. Remember, Lando ended up being a good guy in the end.

Spoiler

I took it more as, he used to be a big shot cop/agent, then he kinda spiraled downwards, started drinking/abusing drugs and ended up as a small town cop. The spiral might've been precipitated by his daughter's death and eventual divorce. 

Watched it with the parents over a few days, thoroughly enjoyed it. The first half of the season was terrifying, while the latter half more veered into supernatural adventure as things became more overt. Which was still enjoyable but I don't know if that was the intent. The first few episodes gave me a couple of sleepless nights, the latter half had me thinking up monster designs.

I think it was pretty tightly plotted, really appreciated that they just did 8 episodes because that was all this particular plot needed. Pretty much the only thing that never tied into the main plot was

Joyce's ex-husband. He appears in a couple of episodes but Joyce just shouts him out and we never see him again. An important character moment maybe, but ultimately the husband could have gone completely unmentioned.

Really looking forward to season 2.

Quoting is getting wonky, but:

Spoiler

The stretching of things coming through the wallpaper is classic Stephen King.

Happens at least twice in IT, IIRC, and I think once or twice in Dark Tower?

7 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Does anybody know the song that's playing in the background @32:50 of episode 2? Nancy is on the phone with Barb. Hard to hear because she's talking over it.

Guitar sounds like Depeche Mode.

Body Language, by Alexander Baker and Clair Marlo. The site tunefind lists the songs by episode. https://www.tunefind.com/show/stranger-things/season-1/36510

Finished it last night

Spoiler

I thought the ending was good. It leaves enough questions to segue into season 2.

Regarding the demogorgon, I thought only magic hurts it as well, hence Eleven only really being able to injure or kill it. That or it can only be injured in the upside down. Kind of like planar creatures in D&D only being able to be sent back to the abyss/planar realms and not killed in ours,  which is one of the theories I have concerning what Eleven did at the end. Basically opened a gate, sent it back and sealed it.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Body Language, by Alexander Baker and Clair Marlo. The site tunefind lists the songs by episode. https://www.tunefind.com/show/stranger-things/season-1/36510

Finished it last night

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the ending was good. It leaves enough questions to segue into season 2.

Regarding the demogorgon, I thought only magic hurts it as well, hence Eleven only really being able to injure or kill it. That or it can only be injured in the upside down. Kind of like planar creatures in D&D only being able to be sent back to the abyss/planar realms and not killed in ours,  which is one of the theories I have concerning what Eleven did at the end. Basically opened a gate, sent it back and sealed it.

I'm going to throw this theory out one more time to see if anyone wants to talk about it.

I think Eleven was telling the truth when she said that she was the monster. I think that it is a manifestation of her fears and torture from The Upside Down World. I think she knew she couldn't control it, so she sealed herself off there and is working on ways to come back and be clear of the thing.

1 minute ago, Howdyphillip said:

I'm going to throw this theory out one more time to see if anyone wants to talk about it.

Hide contents

I think Eleven was telling the truth when she said that she was the monster. I think that it is a manifestation of her fears and torture from The Upside Down World. I think she knew she couldn't control it, so she sealed herself off there and is working on ways to come back and be clear of the thing.

I would rather prefer it if the monster was a creature of another dimension that Eleven inadvertently made contact with. If the monster is just a manifestation of her fears, what is the slug that Will puked out at the end?

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

I would rather prefer it if the monster was a creature of another dimension that Eleven inadvertently made contact with. If the monster is just a manifestation of her fears, what is the slug that Will puked out at the end?

a manifestation of his fears... I think that is how the Upside Down World is going to work. It is a dark reflection of life around you.

Archived