Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

I would rather prefer it if the monster was a creature of another dimension that Eleven inadvertently made contact with. If the monster is just a manifestation of her fears, what is the slug that Will puked out at the end?

Spoiler

That's my take on it as well. One thing I'm not sure about is why Hop left some food out in a box type thing at the end? I mean, it was clearly meant for El, but how did he know she's still alive and where to leave it? 

1 minute ago, Howdyphillip said:

Hide contents

a manifestation of his fears... I think that is how the Upside Down World is going to work. It is a dark reflection of life around you.

That's a very interesting idea, and one I hadn't thought about. :eek:

17 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Reveal hidden contents

a manifestation of his fears... I think that is how the Upside Down World is going to work. It is a dark reflection of life around you.

Interesting. I had actually used a more scientific interpretation to the show. The upside down is a parallel dimension (not reality) which is why it still looks like the real world. Operating on a slightly different wavelength, if you will. But I can see the writers going the direction you're suggesting. Now that I think about it, it's possible that we're both right. Since the role of emotions is often a major trope, I could see how someone would envision the existence of a parallel dimension that is shaped by emotions. 

I really enjoyed this. I wasn't even alive in the 80s but the homage was amazing, the soundtrack too. The easter egg I spotted before watching this was what made me watch it--the poster. Reminded me of Blade Runner (that more than aything else).

Only thing I really want to complain about is regarding the cop  

I thought they could have done that family plot somewhere in the beginning. As it was, the show was already reliant on flashbacks to show El adjusting to the outside world, and how she came about certain skills. So when it happened with Hopper it kind of seemed gimmicky.

Regarding El,

I initially thought she just accidentally made contact with a monster from another dimension. But that didn't really sit well with me since, other than presumed hunter instincts, the monster doesn't have any other motive to be malevolent. Also, it seems too coincidental that it shows up around the same time El escapes from the facility, which is seemingly after she first makes contact with it. In the duration of one week it takes 6 people, as told by one of the bad guys (to Hopper, I think). My question is, why hasn't the monster take anyone before? Why now? And why so many people in such a short period; isn’t it getting full? The answer of El's fears manifesting themselves in the physical form makes the most sense to me.

It also seems too coincidental that she just so happens to have powers that can kill it, or neutralise it. And again, that the two of them show up at the same time, thus making the showdown possible in the first place...too coincidental. To me, the story is somewhat disconnected if El isn't the one who cause the monster's formation. That's my theory.

I agree with the poster above in that Will puking the slug is something linked to his fears.

1 minute ago, Kyoshi said:

Hide contents

I initially thought she just accidentally made contact with a monster from another dimension. But that didn't really sit well with me since, other than presumed hunter instincts, the monster doesn't have any other motive to be malevolent. Also, it seems too coincidental that it shows up around the same time El escapes from the facility, which is seemingly after she first makes contact with it. In the duration of one week it takes 6 people, as told by one of the bad guys (to Hopper, I think). My question is, why hasn't the monster take anyone before? Why now? And why so many people in such a short period; isn’t it getting full? The answer of El's fears manifesting themselves in the physical form makes the most sense to me.

It also seems too coincidental that she just so happens to have powers that can kill it, or neutralise it. And again, that the two of them show up at the same time, thus making the showdown possible in the first place...too coincidental. To me, the story is somewhat disconnected if El isn't the one who cause the monster's formation. That's my theory.

I agree with the poster above in that Will puking the slug is something linked to his fears.

I took that the monster didn't know about the existence of our dimension until El made contact. At that point the monster, in an attempt to reach El, opened the gateway in the lab. But then it learned to opened gateways elsewhere, too. And on that subject, I give props to the writers and concept artists for coming up with such a creative portal. Initially I didn't realize what it was, so in episode 1 I was still thinking outer space aliens. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Reveal hidden contents

I took that the monster didn't know about the existence of our dimension until El made contact. At that point the monster, in an attempt to reach El, opened the gateway in the lab. But then it learned to opened gateways elsewhere, too. And on that subject, I give props to the writers and concept artists for coming up with such a creative portal. Initially I didn't realize what it was, so in episode 1 I was still thinking outer space aliens. 

I hadn't looked at it like that. But it makes sense to me. I think I've just talked myself into a rewatch.

Another thing I wanted to mention is how good it is to get writing that will leave the story open up for the viewers imagination. I am so glad we didn't get an info dump scene, which must have been tempting

Spoiler

I've been thinking about @Howdyphillip's theory that the monster is a manifestation of El's fear and that Will's slug would represent the same, a manifestation of his fears, but why would his fears manifest in the exact same way as hers? Each should have their own 'demons', which should manifest differently? No? 

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:
  Hide contents

I've been thinking about @Howdyphillip's theory that the monster is a manifestation of El's fear and that Will's slug would represent the same, a manifestation of his fears, but why would his fears manifest in the exact same way as hers? Each should have their own 'demons', which should manifest differently? No? 

Not necessarily. The Upside Down World is tangible as well as evidenced by people traveling back and forth from it. It stands to reason that it has its own laws that govern it like everything is grey and overgrown. One of these laws might just be that fears are manifest into monsters that behave this way. 

I do think that if the creators are going to go this route, the full grown monster that Will creates will look slightly different than the one Eleven does. If early next season, we have a new monster design I'm going to take it as further evidence.

2 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not necessarily. The Upside Down World is tangible as well as evidenced by people traveling back and forth from it. It stands to reason that it has its own laws that govern it like everything is grey and overgrown. One of these laws might just be that fears are manifest into monsters that behave this way. 

I do think that if the creators are going to go this route, the full grown monster that Will creates will look slightly different than the one Eleven does. If early next season, we have a new monster design I'm going to take it as further evidence.

Gotcha. It's another interesting idea, actually. Too bad we have to wait until July 2017 to learn more! 

I loved the show.....but I don't think I want another season.

Spoiler

It feels so perfectly like a one off 80's film that' simply a self contained story. Where is there to go? What adventure can the kids have that matches this one? Why ruin Eleven's beautiful sacrifice (which is what I assumed it was until I read the variety article), what more is there about the Upside Down to entice us? I'm sure there's plenty to explore about it, but for what purpose? Do they try and match this season with another monster? 

Will puking the tongue just felt like a kind of 'Outer Limits' esque "did they all live happily ever after...?", not something I feel needs following up. Similarly, I liked Hopper leaving out the eggos as maybe his guilt catching up with him, hoping she'd re-appear. Doesn't necessarily tease another season.

I was really disappointed that Hopper gave up Eleven actually. Not least because they didn't bother checking the school before sending him in to the upside down, so he could have bullshitted them easily and the result would be the same.

Really great show though. I've never quite cried at a TV show, but I came damn close at the end of episode 3 when they found Will's 'body', with the version of Heroes playing. Actually I think it peaked with that episode.

This show was very damn good.  I reminded me of season 1 of True Detective with how tight and well plotted the narrative was, with little to no extraneous screentime (maybe 8 episode seasons is the 'correct' number).  I was very impressed with how early they let the viewer know the supernatural was definitely a thing while stilling building a strong sense of mystery and having plenty to reveal over the course of the season.

So I guess that was a bitter sweet ending. Damn I enjoyed this show. It really couldn't of ended any other way, being that it was following that 1980's trope of the danger never really goes away. Really great show.

Spoiler

Do you think Eleven escaped the other dimension and is hiding in the woods? That's why the sheriff left food out there? 

4 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

So I guess that was a bitter sweet ending. Damn I enjoyed this show. It really couldn't of ended any other way, being that it was following that 1980's trope of the danger never really goes away. Really great show.

Hide contents

Do you think Eleven escaped the other dimension and is hiding in the woods? That's why the sheriff left food out there? 

Spoiler

That was my take, but how would Hop know? 

6 hours ago, the tower of albion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Could the demogorgon be one of the previous children? One to Ten? It would be like the film Altered States. Perhaps Will could begin to mutate and .......... well lots of potential for another season. Fingers crossed!

Spoiler

I was wondering about this too. There had to have been ten other subjects they were experimenting on, where are they?

I also like Philip's idea about the upside down being a manifestation of El's fears. I think though with Will and the slug it is not so much a manifestation of his fears, but how this other world has changed him. I kept thinking that he cannot not be okay after spending a week in the upside down. 

Archived