GoT and Emmys 2016

lakin1013

What do you think about the 23 GoT Emmy nominations.  GRRM has commented on Notablog that he wished that Sophie Turner had been nominated.  What do you think, were the right actors nominated?  Where did they get it wrong?

Here is the Hollywood Reporter link to the full list: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/emmys-2016-full-list-nominations-910903

Yes, I think Ms Turner was snubbed by the emmys, she was the undisputed star of the season, they got it wrong, they nominated Mr Dinklage? he already got an emmy and all his screen time this season was only to tell dick jokes and Ms Clarke? for her shitty acting while giving speechs?

they got it right for Mr Harington and Ms Williams nominations

as much as Cersei is on the screen, they should have submitted her for lead actress in a drama. That would have cleared up room for Sophie, potentially, on the best supporting actress ballot. What might be actually hurting her is the writing that she gets in that her character does so many 180 and 90 degree turns that come out of no where. Her character, Sansa seems to suffer from multiple personality disorder and it does not help Sophie's chances at nominations.

Dinklage did not deserve his nomination this year and even more so then last year when it seemed a joke. However, I think in his case, there was and continues to be a degree of "PC" involved with him since he justifiably won in Season 1 both the Emmy and the Golden Globe. Those were well earned by him.

Regarding Emelia Clarke, it is all the CGI and the only one around in her world with stand out hair like that that gets her these nominations it seems.

Maise - yep, good one

Kit - surprised this is his first

Alfie - may be his weakest season but has been snubbed the past 3 so what's new?

Generally, it is really difficult for younger actors and actresses to get Emmy nods (in contrast with Academy Award nods).  That is what made Maisie Williams' nomination shocking to many people.  And I would say that Lena, Kit, and Maisie were very deserving of the nods.  Kit has gotten noticeably better and he was asked to do quite a bit this season.  My one complaint about the Jon Snow arc is that the producers should have added a scene which clued people in on Jon's PTSD in episode 7 or 8, not Kit's acting.  I also think that while people complained about the ending of Arya's arc in Braavos, Maisie had a few very strong episodes during the season when she was grappling with her identity.  

I would agree that Peter's nomination was done out of habit rather than the work he did this season.  Emmy voters just love Tyrion type characters, i.e. supporting players who spout off witty dialogue.  This is why Maggie Smith gets nominated for Downton Abbey as well. 

Did GRRm say other actors that got nominated didn't deserve their nomination..

Iam happy for those who got nomination and sad for those who didn't ... Like GRRm said you can't have them all ..having 3 actresses in the same category from a same show is already good for GOT ..and its alright to be disappointed for thosr who didnt get the nomination but we should be happy for those who got nominated 

Peter Dinklage just did not have any meaty story this season, at least that I recall and other than the 'what shall we talk about' and 'let's tell jokes' I do not think his acting was that noteworthy.  I think the actor is good but the story was not there for him.  I do think he did a lovely job when Dany made him hand but otherwise .....not so much.

4 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

These are the shows nominated for Outstanding Drama:

Virginia Sherwood/USA Network

The Americans (FX)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

House of Cards (Netflix)

Downton Abbey (PBS)

Better Call Saul (AMC)

Mr. Robot (USA)

Homeland (Showtime)

Should Game of Thrones win it this year?  If not, then who?

Iam confident GOT will take it home ..if not i think it will be americans 

20 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

The Americans (FX)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

House of Cards (Netflix)

Downton Abbey (PBS)

Better Call Saul (AMC)

Mr. Robot (USA)

Homeland (Showtime)

BCS Should take it over anyone from GoT

On 7/17/2016 at 11:37 AM, lakin1013 said:

The Americans (FX)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

House of Cards (Netflix)

Downton Abbey (PBS)

Better Call Saul (AMC)

Mr. Robot (USA)

Homeland (Showtime)

Better Call Saul

On July 17, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Drogonthedread said:

Did GRRm say other actors that got nominated didn't deserve their nomination..

Iam happy for those who got nomination and sad for those who didn't ... Like GRRm said you can't have them all ..having 3 actresses in the same category from a same show is already good for GOT ..and its alright to be disappointed for thosr who didnt get the nomination but we should be happy for those who got nominated 

GRRM never said that. He said that there were some actors that didn't get nominated but should have. He would never bash the actors on his own damn show lol

On 7/17/2016 at 11:37 AM, lakin1013 said:

The Americans (FX)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

House of Cards (Netflix)

Downton Abbey (PBS)

Better Call Saul (AMC)

Mr. Robot (USA)

Homeland (Showtime)

The Americans was better. Mr. Robot was on GoT level. BCS should be in the debate. Homeland, HoC, and Downton Abbey shouldn't have even gotten nominations.

Fargo, Leftovers, and Outlander deserve consideration too.

36 minutes ago, dsug said:

GRRM never said that. He said that there were some actors that didn't get nominated but should have. He would never bash the actors on his own damn show lol

36 minutes ago, dsug said:

I was asking that in response to OP question was the right actors nominated or not and using GRRm quotes..

While right actors  or not depends upon individual opinion ..it would have not stopped if Sophie got nominated then this would have been about Natalie former or Faye or Bella ..

It only makes us greedy if you think people like Eva green or Tatiana or ladies from OITNB doesn't get nominated that much ..

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:26 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

as much as Cersei is on the screen, they should have submitted her for lead actress in a drama. That would have cleared up room for Sophie, potentially, on the best supporting actress ballot. What might be actually hurting her is the writing that she gets in that her character does so many 180 and 90 degree turns that come out of no where. Her character, Sansa seems to suffer from multiple personality disorder and it does not help Sophie's chances at nominations.

That's really hard to justify though. Given the nature of the show. It's hard to call her a lead when she's not involved with the Northern or Essos storylines. Also, she really doesn't have that much screen time. After 6 seasons, Cersei stands at a total screen time is 3:22. I don't think people realize how little screen time all of these actors/actresses even get relative to casts in other shows. Despite the big cast only, 26 characters have been on screen for more then an hour. Here's a link of the rough estimates of screen time.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls076752033/?start=1&view=detail&sort=listorian:asc

As much as I love Dinklage's portrayal as Tyrion... this was easily his weakest season. Not that he had much to work with given his material. Most of his scenes seemed akin to Stannis and Davos in season 3 just to remind the viewer they're still there. So I'd have to root for Kit in this one, he captured the reluctant hero quite nicely this season. Though I'm disappointed Liam Cunningham didn't get a nomination given this was easily his strongest season in my opinion.

I may be in the minority here, but when I compare Sophie Turner's performance this season to Lena Headley's I just don't see a comparison. Then again Emila Clark got a nomination as well, who managed to make some of the best lines of the season sound just bland on delivery. Maisie was strong in some of her scenes despite the very repetitive nature of all her story arc this season. I wouldn't be upset if she got it.

I was kinda surprised that Ma von Sydnow got a nomination. He wasn't bad or anything, but was just kind of... there filling his role. If you have to give a guest a nomination give it to someone like David Bradley for playing a magnificent bastard and stealing every scene he's in.

10 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

That's really hard to justify though. Given the nature of the show. It's hard to call her a lead when she's not involved with the Northern or Essos storylines. Also, she really doesn't have that much screen time. After 6 seasons, Cersei stands at a total screen time is 3:22. I don't think people realize how little screen time all of these actors/actresses even get relative to casts in other shows. Despite the big cast only, 26 characters have been on screen for more then an hour. Here's a link of the rough estimates of screen time.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls076752033/?start=1&view=detail&sort=listorian:asc

I understand the screen time thing but her and probably Emelia too, although they took part of her story to give to the Imp but Lena as Cersei is clearly the foremost female, more so than Sophie or Maisie and has been since the end of Season 4.

19 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I understand the screen time thing but her and probably Emelia too, although they took part of her story to give to the Imp but Lena as Cersei is clearly the foremost female, more so than Sophie or Maisie and has been since the end of Season 4.

It does not matter if she is the foremost character and/or since Season 4.  She just does not have the screentime to be considered as a lead actress.  No matter how good if the next person has so much more screentime and material to handle.

It is the biggest drawback of having such a sprawling cast and story.  There really is just not enough time.

Lord Lyman is very right that the screentime is very limited in comparison to other shows.

I think this will be GOT last hurrah in getting a possible big Emmy haul.  With S7 starting in Summer will mean they will be ineligible for next year awards and when eligible again they will not have the advantage of the buzz so near the nomination announcement. 

Dinklage was weak this season, but that was more the script's fault. When he was asked to do something like release the dragons, advise Dany, he did really well.

Clarke: It's best that I don't go there.

Harrington: I thought he came into his own as an actor last season, and this season, he was great.

Lena: She was incredible. She would make eating fries memorable. I hope she wins.

Maisie: I loved her previous seasons. This season, not so much. I think it was her plot, which (imo) was bordering on the ridiculous, with too much filler (Crane and troupe both went nowhere, Waif didn't have a point, etc.). That bled over into my take on her.

btw, I understand that Von Sydow is a renowned actor, and getting him was a big deal. Sadly, though, he didn't really do much. I wish they had nominated Bella Ramsey (Lady Mormont) instead. She had (for me) one of the most memorable scenes this season.

I'm happy for everyone who got nominated, acting wise.

I'm most excited about Lena Headey as always - if Maggie Smith beats her for arguing about hospital administration, I will punch a horse.  Or a cat.  Dog.  Something.  I found Emelia and Kit both to be very convincing this season, especially in their big moments (Dany ep 4, Ep 9 & 10, Jon ep 2, 9 & 10).  

Arya's plot this season, was a hot mess, however.  First 5 episodes, boring as F.  Next 3, almost incomprehensible.  Then in the last episode she commits three serial killer-esque murders halfway around the world.  So the fact she got nominated for this has really just got to be the buzz the show has.  I do think she does fine with what she's given but lord...

I'm most sad that Nikolaj got snubbed.  Freaking amazing acting by him in ep 7-8, and some great moments both earlier and later. too  I love him and I really hope he gets at least a nom next season.  Certainly his arc will be dramatic, whatever happens.  Sophie was great too but again I think next season is when the LF stuff comes to a head and she'll have her biggest moments yet. 

As for other awards sad Ramin didn't get a nom - this was the first season I actually stood up and took notice with his music.  

Archived