GoT and Emmys 2016

lakin1013

I am beyond proud that Maisie finally got nominated for an Emmy!!! She deserves to win the award. She has been outstanding since episode one without any or much acting experience at all. She is a natural. 

Emilia... I have mixed feelings here. 

Lena deserves recognition as well! She was great this season. 

Kit! Kit got nominated too!! He has improved so much. 

Peter... I have mix feelings here too. He didn't do anything this season. 

And I am in the minority but it's not Sophie's time to get nominated quite yet. She has improved drastically. She needs to convey her characters emotions better because a lot of the times we as the audience got really confused from what we saw verses what Sophie and D and D are saying. Part of the problem could be the writing because we all know there was writing issues... 

I don't personally think any for the shows nominated for Best drama series was particularly outstanding. Yes The Americans is decent but I personally don't find it to be at all anywhere as good as critics claim, neither is Mr Robot. I've seen Downton Abbey and Homeland at their best... and worst, so those shows don't really deserve to be in the conversation either. 
Better Call Saul is decent, although its a bit slow and Game of Thrones was only good in fits and starts. The only consistently excellent show this year was the Leftovers (not counting limited series) and it didn't even get a single nom despite the fact that it has the best acting on tv with Carrie Coon, Christoher Eccleston, Regina King and Justin Theroux. 

The winner on merit of those nominated should either be The Americans or GoT. But in reality, The Leftovers should be the clear winner here. Its last season was truly incredible and the fact it was ignored is a travesty. 

I'm happy for all the nominees, however like everyone else, I'm sad that Sophie Turner was not nominated for some very strange reason. This was her season to shine. Sansa became a true badass and Sophie was fantastic. 

On 15/7/2016 at 7:50 PM, lakin1013 said:

What do you think about the 23 GoT Emmy nominations.  GRRM has commented on Notablog that he wished that Sophie Turner had been nominated.  What do you think, were the right actors nominated?  Where did they get it wrong?

Here is the Hollywood Reporter link to the full list: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/emmys-2016-full-list-nominations-910903

1, Some actors couldn't be nominated because HBO didn't present them as candidates, didn't submit their candidature.. they couldn't be emmy nominees

2, Sophie was amongst the candidates but I think it's ok she didn't get a nomination, she is not a great actress (I don't think GRRM meant to imply that she is...more that her character had a very important season) and she's certainly not as good as Lena Headey

3, when you submit a candidature, then you have to spend some money to campaign and make the Emmy people nominate your candidate... HBO is not a charity so they pick the actors whose candidature may pay off, aka: 3.1.) the ones who have the highest chances of winning or be at least nominated; 3.2) the ones whose candidature pays off in terms of show prestige.

4. Peter didn't have a strong season (hardly his fault, his acting was wonderful in 6x02 and 6x10 - I think his acting in she hand of the queen scene was extraordinary - but D&D made him say the dumbest lines with Missandei and Greyworm for half the season) and he won't win but his candidature makes sens as a whole ), plus it pays off in terms of show prestige: he got to be nominated and how many shows have actors who have been nominated for 6 consecutive years? big result for the show / HBO

5. it's ridiculous Kit and Amelia, I guess pumped by HBO, got nominated. Kit used to muster 2 facial expressions and now gets a nomination because he can muster 3? of course no... he is there because Jon had a huge season and because he's a hot fan fave, not because of his acting skills (he's one of the worst in the whole series...Peter Dinklage, Liam Cunningham, Alfie Allen, Iwan R, Conleth H, Charles D, Sean B, etc. are all better than him..even Jack Gleeson, who is way younger, would have deserved it more than Kit for his portrayal of Jeoffrey); Amelia is average at the most and she and Lena Headey clearly don't play in the same league. Another hot fan fave who is there because she's an hot fan fave and not because of her acting skills.

7. I'm kinda happy for Maisie. She's not as good as Lena Headey but she deserves the nomination as a 'reward' for all the seasons. She was very young, at her fist experience... and still she did better than older people with more experience.

Kit is still a very monotone actor in my view. I haven't seen much range from him since the start, and while yes he has improved, he is still not worthy of Emmy nomination.

I really think Liam Cunningham has been overlooked for far too long. He has killed it in every scene he has been in as Davos, from his very intro in Season 2 right up until Winds of Winter. he has definitely been the most consistently outstanding male actor on GoT since Charles Dance, Mark Addy and Sean Bean left the show.

NCW has also been fantastic from the start, both as the arrogant, cocksure Jaime of season 1 to the more 3 dimensional Jaime we've seen through his interactions with Brienne, Cersei and Tyrion.

Maisie has been wonderful the last 4 seasons, despite a rather horrifically written storyline in both seasons 5 and 6. She has done an excellent job.

Lena Headey also fully deserves her nomination. She has been wonderful for a long time. Even though I don't think she really looks anything like book Cersei, I have liked her portrayal of the character a lot. Lena does a great job of making the audience absolutely despise her as a person, but at the same time understand her motivations even though we don't always agree with them. She's definitely a step above the other actresses on the show performance wise, but it does also need to be mentioned D&D clearly love Lena and are giving her consistentyly better material to work with than what most of the others like Maisie, Sophie, Emilia, etc get.

16 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

Kit is still a very monotone actor in my view. I haven't seen much range from him since the start, and while yes he has improved, he is still not worthy of Emmy nomination.

I really think Liam Cunningham has been overlooked for far too long. He has killed it in every scene he has been in as Davos, from his very intro in Season 2 right up until Winds of Winter. he has definitely been the most consistently outstanding male actor on GoT since Charles Dance, Mark Addy and Sean Bean left the show.

NCW has also been fantastic from the start, both as the arrogant, cocksure Jaime of season 1 to the more 3 dimensional Jaime we've seen through his interactions with Brienne, Cersei and Tyrion.

Maisie has been wonderful the last 4 seasons, despite a rather horrifically written storyline in both seasons 5 and 6. She has done an excellent job.

Lena Headey also fully deserves her nomination. She has been wonderful for a long time. Even though I don't think she really looks anything like book Cersei, I have liked her portrayal of the character a lot. Lena does a great job of making the audience absolutely despise her as a person, but at the same time understand her motivations even though we don't always agree with them. She's definitely a step above the other actresses on the show performance wise, but it does also need to be mentioned D&D clearly love Lena and are giving her consistentyly better material to work with than what most of the others like Maisie, Sophie, Emilia, etc get.

HBO didn't present Liam as an Emmy candidate for a nom. I agree he's very good, I knew him because of the Ken Loach movie. I agree, I would have picked NCW (he was a candidate) over Kit any day.

I think that Alfie Allen should have been nominated-and not also this season, but also the previous ones.

5 hours ago, Elisabetta Duò said:

HBO didn't present Liam as an Emmy candidate for a nom. I agree he's very good, I knew him because of the Ken Loach movie. I agree, I would have picked NCW (he was a candidate) over Kit any day.

Liam was also a good one.

From the GOT nominees, I thin Lena is the only one who deserves it- if a GOT actor has to win. She was good in all her scenes, even the "comical" ones with Jaime and The Mountain. 

I can't understand why Emilia or Kit are nominated, especially the latter, considering that other actors like Allen are never nominated.

Dinklage did his best with the awful script he has. Like last season, nothing special, some scenes were even disrespectful towards the character. Script's fault.

Maisie should have been nominated before. It's not her best season.

I'm glad guest star Max Von Sydow was nominated. He had such a presence as The 3 Eyed Crow.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think that Alfie Allen should have been nominated-and not also this season, but also the previous ones.

Liam was also a good one.

From the GOT nominees, I thin Lena is the only one who deserves it- if a GOT actor has to win. She was good in all her scenes, even the "comical" ones with Jaime and The Mountain. 

I can't understand why Emilia or Kit are nominated, especially the latter, considering that other actors like Allen are never nominated.

Dinklage did his best with the awful script he has. Like last season, nothing special, some scenes were even disrespectful towards the character. Script's fault.

Maisie should have been nominated before. It's not her best season.

I'm glad guest star Max Von Sydow was nominated. He had such a presence as The 3 Eyed Crow.

HBO didn't present Alfie Allen as a candidate for an emmy nomination either..only Peter, Nickolaj and Kit were submitted to the Emmy people as male supporting actors and amongst them, the Emmy people nominated Peter and Kit (I would have picked Peter and Nikolaj).

See here: http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-makes-2016-emmy-submissions-reveals-final-synopses/

So when people scream at the emmys for not nominating Liam or Iwan or Alfie.. they should be screaming at HBO. Even if, HBO is not a charity so as I said in a post above here somewhere, I understand their logic.

I agree with you, I hope Lena wins.. it's past time she gets one.

I agree about Tyrion.. a bookish and yet practical man like him who worked 24/7 as Hand, organized the city defence against Stannis and worked restlessly even when he held a minor position in the small council as master of coin, would never ever spend his days sharing (pointless) jokes with Greyworm and Missandei when in charge of ruling a city on the brink of the civil war. It wouldn't happen in a million years. He would be studying the history of the place, the economical system, how to defend the city if the maesters attacked, he would work out how to modernize the streets, the drains, the taxes and so on.

20 minutes ago, Elisabetta Duò said:

HBO didn't present Alfie Allen as a candidate for an emmy nomination either..only Peter, Nickolaj and Kit were submitted to the Emmy people as male supporting actors and amongst them, the Emmy people nominated Peter and Kit (I would have picked Peter and Nikolaj).

See here: http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-makes-2016-emmy-submissions-reveals-final-synopses/

So when people scream at the emmys for not nominating Liam or Iwan or Alfie.. they should be screaming at HBO. Even if, HBO is not a charity so as I said in a post above here somewhere, I understand their logic.

I agree with you, I hope Lena wins.. it's past time she gets one.

I agree about Tyrion.. a bookish and yet practical man like him who worked 24/7 as Hand, organized the city defence against Stannis and worked restlessly even when he held a minor position in the small council as master of coin, would never ever spend his days sharing (pointless) jokes with Greyworm and Missandei when in charge of ruling a city on the brink of the civil war. It wouldn't happen in a million years. He would be studying the history of the place, the economical system, how to defend the city if the maesters attacked, he would work out how to modernize the streets, the drains, the taxes and so on.

I completely agree with everything you have said.

And Iwan did a good job too. He was very cliche (and predictable) but the acting was superb in my opinion.

On August 1, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

I completely agree with everything you have said.

And Iwan did a good job too. He was very cliche (and predictable) but the acting was superb in my opinion.

I think there is something to be said about the difference between character arc and acting. I work in Hollywood and have a lot of wanna be actor friends. They all fell in love with Sophie Turner this year. Making fb post after fb post about how she deserves a nomination and how she's "grown up so much". I had to bite my tongue not to just scream that they were referring to the character arc not the acting. 

This show is amazing. But the problem is that we live in like a golden age of television. There is SO much competition. Didn't it take Jon Hamm like 6 years before he got am Emmy? And it's so much harder now.

Archived