The books coming out in 2017

AncalagonTheBlack

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King.

In this spectacular father/son collaboration, Stephen King and Owen King tell the highest of high-stakes stories: what might happen if women disappeared from the world of men?

In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze. If they are awakened, if the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place... The men of our world are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, however, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease. Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied? Or is she a demon who must be slain? Set in a small Appalachian town whose primary employer is a women’s prison, Sleeping Beauties is a wildly provocative, gloriously absorbing father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King.

Due in September.

And in October, 

Strange Weather: Four Short Novels by Joe Hill.

Conn Iggulden's new novel Dunstan will be published in May.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunstan-Will-Change-Fate-England/dp/0718181441/

From acclaimed historical writer Conn Iggulden comes a novel set in the red-blooded days of Anglo-Saxon England. Welcome to the original game for the English throne.

The year is 937. England is a nation divided, ruled by minor kings and Viking lords. Each vies for land and power. The Wessex king Æthelstan, grandson of Alfred the Great, readies himself to throw a spear into the north.

As would-be kings line up to claim the throne, one man stands in their way.

Dunstan, a fatherless child raised by monks on the moors of Glastonbury Tor, has learned that real power comes not from God, but from discovering one's true place on Earth. Fearless in pursuit of his own interests, his ambition will take him from the courts of princes to the fields of battle, from exile to exaltation.

For if you cannot be born a king, or made a king, you can still anoint a king.

Under Dunstan's hand, England may come together as one country - or fall apart in anarchy . . .

From Conn Iggulden, one of our finest historical writers, Dunstan is an intimate portrait of a priest and murderer, liar and visionary, traitor and kingmaker - the man who changed the fate of England.

True. I was just thinking that Finland's situation might be an anomaly. I don't know if Iggulden is that popular in other countries. I haven't seen any sales figures from the UK or the US.

Orbit US / Redhook fall/winter 2017-2018 catalog:

https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/_b2b/media/media_assets/catalogs/Orbit__Redhook_F17W18_Frontlist_Catalog_3.16.17.pdf

Alastair Reynold's new Revelation Space novel (sequel to The Prefect) will be published in January 2018.

Thanks for sharing that.  Glad to see some info about the collected/print editions of K.J. Parker's "Two of Swords".  The new Ann Leckie also sounds great.  I had seen a while back that she had signed with Orbit for an additional novel but I had no idea that it was actually coming out in the near future (here's hoping).  Not clear from the description if it's in the Radach 'verse.  Doesn't sound like it, although it could be within the same setting but in a place outside of the Empire.

As a general thought, kind of amusing to see it outlined how publishers and booksellers should promote various titles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hachette's website shows eight more parts (which would be about right for the third volume) releasing two a month from June to September. Of course, there have been other release dates for them that have slid by. But that schedule would end just in time for the paperbacks to begin, so they may be rushing them out finally. They should all be written by then for a December print release, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 3:57 PM, banjax451 said:

The odds of this book cover being "a guy in a hood with a knife" are off the freaking charts. *sigh* I know fantasy can be derivative some times, but this seems like a book summary that was built with madlibs.  It may be great, but it hardly seems original.

Surprise! ( well, not so much)  you were actually right!

On 9/26/2016 at 7:57 AM, banjax451 said:

The odds of this book cover being "a guy in a hood with a knife" are off the freaking charts. *sigh* I know fantasy can be derivative some times, but this seems like a book summary that was built with madlibs.  It may be great, but it hardly seems original.

How is this not a thread here???

On 4/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, redeagl said:

Surprise! ( well, not so much)  you were actually right!

(shakes head...mutters to self...)

On 4/11/2017 at 9:29 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Have you seen some of the shit coming out these days? This pretty much IS that thread. :(

THIS is why I come to this thread. I lurk almost everywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

When is NK Jemisin's third book of the trilogy due to come out? Really excited about it.

August, like the other two (same date too, I think, though I'm not certain).

The publication date for A King in Cobwebs by David Keck is July 24, 2018

This is the final book in the trilogy.Book #2 was published in 2008!! That's a 10 year gap folks!!.GRRM's a saint by comparison. :P

Blurb for Austral by Paul McAuley:

The great geoengineering projects have failed.

The world is still warming, sea levels are still rising, and the Antarctic Peninsula is home to Earth's newest nation, with life quickened by ecopoets spreading across valleys and fjords exposed by the retreat of the ice.

Austral Morales Ferrado, a child of the last generation of ecopoets, is a husky: an edited person adapted to the unforgiving climate of the far south, feared and despised by most of its population. She's been a convict, a corrections officer in a labour camp, and consort to a criminal, and now, out of desperation, she has committed the kidnapping of the century. But before she can collect the ransom and make a new life elsewhere, she must find a place of safety amongst the peninsula's forests and icy plateaus, and evade a criminal gang that has its own plans for the teenage girl she's taken hostage.

Blending the story of Austral's flight with the fractured history of her family and its role in the colonisation of Antarctica, Austral is a vivid portrayal of a treacherous new world created by climate change, and shaped by the betrayals and mistakes of the past.

Archived