The books coming out in 2017

AncalagonTheBlack

New Mark Charan Newton (James Abbott) interview:

http://www.tor.com/2016/11/10/renewal-and-rebirth-an-interview-with-mark-charan-newton/

It feels like I’ve been around for ages now [so] I can fully appreciate the business aspects of the genre, and epic or heroic fantasy has a much larger audience—you have to think about it through the lens of combining an art and a business. That’s life. It was certainly what my publishers wanted. Which isn’t to say it’s a lesser choice in any respect (I grew up on and still read heroic fantasy); just a different choice. And it’s actually really good fun to play in this particular sandbox.

There will be more MCN books:

NA: What are the chances that Mark Charan Newton will be back? And what about Lucan Drakenfeld? Have we heard the last of him, do you think?

MCN: Pretty good! I’m working on a Mark Charan Newton book at the moment, which I’m very excited about. Changing gears, and switching agents, has given me the time to reflect on some properly crazy ideas that just might work… Stay tuned.

On 15.7.2016 at 8:57 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

July

The Reaping Flame by Anthony Ryan
The Delirium Brief by Charles Stross
Son of Seven by Justin Travis Call

Amazon.co.uk says September 2017 for Son of Seven. This catalogue has some information about the book:

http://www.barorint.com/uploads/8/7/5/3/87533264/baror_international_inc._-_frankfurt_2015.pdf

A major new epic fantasy series with over half a million in advances since initial submission this past summer (2015).

We all know the beats of a traditional epic fantasy bildungsroman — a young boy, orphaned through tragic circumstances and raised by a wise old man, discovers his magic and place at the center of a world-altering struggle between good and evil. As he first fights and then accepts his role as savior, he faces many tests until finally he confronts the evil that threatens everything he holds dear. But what if the boy hero and the malevolence threatening the world are one and the same? What if he slowly comes to realize that he is the reincarnation of an evil god? Would he save the world or destroy it?

This is the central conceit of Son of Seven, the opening salvo in an epic fantasy series that will some day rank right alongside Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time, Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth, and David Edding’s Belgariad as classics of the genre. Travis has worked for more than ten years building the history and mythology for his world, creating a believable and authentic setting for his characters to inhabit.

A graduate of Harvard University in 2012 with a master’s degree in Literature and Creative Writing, Justin Travis is the President of Broomstick Monkey Games, a tabletop board game company that caters to hobby gamers.

This is Mr. Call’s first novel in a planned tetralogy that has potential to grow. His grandest concept encompasses story material for as many as sixteen books (four tetralogies).

18 hours ago, Jussi said:

Amazon.co.uk says September 2017 for Son of Seven. This catalogue has some information about the book:

http://www.barorint.com/uploads/8/7/5/3/87533264/baror_international_inc._-_frankfurt_2015.pdf

A major new epic fantasy series with over half a million in advances since initial submission this past summer (2015).

We all know the beats of a traditional epic fantasy bildungsroman — a young boy, orphaned through tragic circumstances and raised by a wise old man, discovers his magic and place at the center of a world-altering struggle between good and evil. As he first fights and then accepts his role as savior, he faces many tests until finally he confronts the evil that threatens everything he holds dear. But what if the boy hero and the malevolence threatening the world are one and the same? What if he slowly comes to realize that he is the reincarnation of an evil god? Would he save the world or destroy it?

This is the central conceit of Son of Seven, the opening salvo in an epic fantasy series that will some day rank right alongside Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time, Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth, and David Edding’s Belgariad as classics of the genre. Travis has worked for more than ten years building the history and mythology for his world, creating a believable and authentic setting for his characters to inhabit.

A graduate of Harvard University in 2012 with a master’s degree in Literature and Creative Writing, Justin Travis is the President of Broomstick Monkey Games, a tabletop board game company that caters to hobby gamers.

This is Mr. Call’s first novel in a planned tetralogy that has potential to grow. His grandest concept encompasses story material for as many as sixteen books (four tetralogies).

"that will some day rank right alongside Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time, Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth, and David Edding’s Belgariad as classics of the genre." WTF????!!!!!Sword of Truth is a classic of the genre!!!!!!!!!!!???????

Borne by Jeff VanderMeer - May 2, 2017

“Am I a person?” Borne asks Rachel, in extremis.
“Yes, you are a person,” Rachel tells him. “But like a person, you can be a weapon, too.”

In a ruined, nameless city of the future, Rachel makes her living as a scavenger. She finds a creature she names Borne entangled in the fur of Mord, a gigantic despotic bear that once prowled the corridors of a biotech firm, the Company, until he was experimented on, grew large, learned to fly, and broke free. Made insane by the company’s torture of him, Mord terrorizes the city even as he provides sustenance for scavengers.

At first, Borne looks like nothing at all—just a green lump that might be a discard from the Company, which, although severely damaged, is rumored to still make creatures and send them to far-distant places that have not yet suffered collapse.

Borne reminds Rachel of the island nation of her birth, now long lost to rising seas. She feels an attachment that she resents: attachments are traps, and in this world any weakness can kill you. Yet when she takes Borne to her subterranean sanctuary, Rachel convinces her lover, Wick—a special kind of dealer—not to render down Borne as raw genetic material for the drugs he sells.

But nothing is quite the way it seems: not the past, not the present, not the future. If Wick is hiding secrets, so is Rachel—and Borne most of all. What Rachel finds hidden deep within the Company will change everything and everyone. There, lost and forgotten things have lingered and grown. What they have grown into is mighty indeed.

On 7.11.2016 at 11:16 PM, Calibandar said:

Indeed, though I did find a novel of his coming out in May in the UK, called "Dunstan".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunstan-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0718181441/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478553086&sr=1-3

It looks like this is a historical novel, set in the 10th Century. From Twitter:

The big 10th Century historical fiction one is out in May, with a first fantasy novel: Darien, out in July. I've been busy.

Also:

That one [Darien] is written, edited, the lot. I'm working on the historical fiction one still. Blimey. Lots to do.

And:

Yes. Two out next year.

A Song of Ice and Fire 2018 Calendar will be released in July 18, 2017.

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/533888/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-2018-calendar-by-george-r-r-martin/9781101965702

Winter is here. In the 2018 entry of this annual calendar series spanning A Game of Thrones and the entire Song of Ice and Fire saga, award-winning illustrator Justin Sweet delivers one of the most atmospheric and otherworldly visions yet of George R. R. Martin’s masterwork. From the children of the forest to the terrors beyond the Wall, from the Targaryen dragons to the tyrant on the Iron Throne, these twelve never-before-seen paintings will remind fans that the most original series in fantasy is just warming up.

Winter is here!! Is this a confirmation of the publication of The Winds of Winter in the first half of 2017?

I doubt it indicates anything towards the publication date of The Winds of Winter.  Winter is Here is kind of a meme as it is thanks to the show's popularity.  Plus even this blurb might be a few months old and released when the calendar's publication and release slot was settled. After all, it is likely that much if not all the artwork would be done by now for it to get edited and ready for actual publishing.  No idea when the printing would take place, but the companies that do calendars have a ton of them to get done for the late summer as most seem to be available starting July.   It just seems a marketing catch phrase. 

Also there is a slight possible play on 'Winter is Here' simply in that pretty much most Calendars start with January (some start with the previous December for convenience)

1 hour ago, C Rutherford said:

I doubt it indicates anything towards the publication date of The Winds of Winter.  Winter is Here is kind of a meme as it is thanks to the show's popularity.

Thanks for clarifying the situation for me. I hadn't heard "Winter is Here" phrase before. I stopped watching Game of Thrones after season 4, and haven't read any GoT related news or articles since August 2014. I also haven't visited the GoT boards of this forum for more than two years. I don't want to spoil the future ASoIaF books by watching the show.

On 11/28/2016 at 2:52 PM, Jussi said:

Thanks for clarifying the situation for me. I hadn't heard "Winter is Here" phrase before. I stopped watching Game of Thrones after season 4, and haven't read any GoT related news or articles since August 2014. I also haven't visited the GoT boards of this forum for more than two years. I don't want to spoil the future ASoIaF books by watching the show.

Just let me clarify that I'm merely the weatherman predicting it will rain on your parade day.  Not that your parade day is already cancelled beyond doubt.:P

Mass Effect Novels by N. K. Jemisin and Catherynne M. Valente Coming in 2017

The first book, titled Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising, will be penned by Jason M. Hough and K.C. Alexander and released in spring of 2017. Following in the summer and fall of 2017 will be Mass Effect: Annihilation by Catherynne M. Valente and Mass Effect: Initiation by N. K. Jemisin.

GRRM did say he was limiting his appearances in 2017 until Winds was finished, which makes me think a) he is really committing to actually writing it at this point, and b ) the end has to be in sight or I don't think he would have shut everything else down.

Blackwing by Ed McDonald – 20 July, 2017

Blackwing is a gritty epic fantasy for fans of Mark Lawrence, Scott Lynch and Daniel Polansky.

The republic faces annihilation, despite the vigilance of Galharrow's Blackwings. When a raven tattoo rips itself from his arm to deliver a desperate message, Galharrow and a mysterious noblewoman must investigate a long dead sorcerer's legacy. But there is a conspiracy within the citadel: traitors, flesh-eaters and the ghosts of the wastelands seek to destroy them, but if they cannot solve the ancient wizard's paradox, the Deep Kings will walk the earth again, and all will be lost.

The war with the Eastern Empire ended in stalemate some eighty years ago, thanks to Nall's 'Engine', a wizard-crafted weapon so powerful even the Deep Kings feared it. The strike of the Engine created the Misery - a wasteland full of ghosts and corrupted magic that now forms a No Mans Land along the frontier. But when Galharrow investigates a frontier fortress, he discovers complacency bordering on treason: then the walls are stormed, and the Engine fails to launch. Galharrow only escapes because of the preternatural magical power of the noblewoman he was supposed to be protecting. Together, they race to the capital to unmask the traitors and restore the republic's defences. Far across the Misery a vast army is on the move, as the Empire prepares to call the republic's bluff.

Gollancz has acquired a "gritty" epic fantasy trilogy from debutant Ed McDonald for "a robust" six-figure sum after a "hectic auction".Publishing director Gillian Redfearn acquired UK and Commonwealth rights to Blackwing from Ian Drury at Sheil Land Associates.

US rights were also acquired for six figures, by Jessica Wade at Ace in New York.Blackwing will be published by Gollancz in the UK, Ace in the United States, and in Germany a translation will be published by Blanvalet. French rights have also been sold.

https://edmcdonaldwriting.com/blog/

Hymn by Ken Scholes will be published in December 2017:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0765321319/

New blurb for The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Court-Broken-Knives-Empires-Dust-Book/0008204063/

Perfect for fans of Mark Lawrence and R. Scott Bakker, The Court of Broken Knives is the explosive debut by one of grimdark fantasy’s most exciting new voices.

They’ve finally looked at the graveyard of our Empire with open eyes. They’re fools and madmen and like the art of war. And their children go hungry while we piss gold and jewels into the dust.

In the richest empire the world has ever known, the city of Sorlost has always stood, eternal and unconquered. But in a city of dreams governed by an imposturous Emperor, decadence has become the true ruler, and has blinded its inhabitants to their vulnerability. The empire is on the verge of invasion – and only one man can see it.

Haunted by dreams of the empire’s demise, Orhan Emmereth has decided to act. On his orders, a company of soldiers cross the desert to reach the city. Once they enter the Palace, they have one mission: kill the Emperor, then all those who remain. Only from ashes can a new empire be built.

The company is a group of good, ordinary soldiers, for whom this is a mission like any other. But the strange boy Marith who walks among them is no ordinary soldier. Marching on Sorlost, Marith thinks he is running away from the past which haunts him. But in the Golden City, his destiny awaits him – beautiful, bloody, and more terrible than anyone could have foreseen.

Latest from David Keck:

My third book, A King in Cobwebs, has come through a brief back-and-forth of the editing process over at Tor, and is now finding its place in the future plans of that illustrious publishing house.

Details will follow soon enough, but a cheque appeared in my mailbox this afternoon (hot on the heals of a rather alarming estimate from my local transmission shop).

In the meantime, I may have to think about a new author photo. The old one isn’t exactly an accurate representation of yours truly anymore….

About fucking time.Some people have been waiting 8 years for the story's end! :P

Archived