WHEN I WAS A HIGHWAYMAN, by Ellen Kushner
THE SMOKE OF GOLD IS GLORY by Scott Lynch
THE COLGRID CONUNDRUM, by Rich Larson
THE KING'S EVIL, by Elizabeth Bear
WATERFALLING, by Lavie Tidhar
THE SWORD TYRASTE, by Cecelia Holland
THE SONS OF THE DRAGON, by George R.R. Martin

• 2 weeks later...

The Court of Broken Knives (Empires of Dust #1) by Anna Smith Spark  - HarperVoyager, June 2017

Perfect for fans of Mark Lawrence and R Scott Bakker, The Court of Broken Knives is the explosive debut by one of grimdark fantasy’s most exciting new voices.

They’ve finally looked at the graveyard of our Empire with open eyes. They’re fools and madmen and like the art of war. And their children go hungry while we piss gold and jewels into the dust.

In the richest empire the world has ever known, the city of Sorlost has always stood, eternal and unconquered. But in a city of dreams governed by an imposturous Emperor, decadence has become the true ruler, and has blinded its inhabitants to their vulnerability. The empire is on the verge of invasion – and only one man can see it.

Haunted by dreams of the empire’s demise, Orhan Emmereth has decided to act. On his orders, a company of soldiers cross the desert to reach the city. Once they enter the Palace, they have one mission: kill the Emperor, then all those who remain. Only from ashes can a new empire be built.

The company is a group of good, ordinary soldiers, for whom this is a mission like any other. But the strange boy Marith who walks among them is no ordinary soldier. Marching on Sorlost, Marith thinks he is running away from the past which haunts him. But in the Golden City, his destiny awaits him – beautiful, bloody, and more terrible than anyone could have foreseen.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ugh, not to judge a book by its publisher, but every HarperVoyager debut I;ve read that actually calls it self grimdark on the blurb has been Stanek level bad.

Have you read Prince of Thorns?

30 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I may be thinking of HarperCollins? Either way my copy of PoT doesn't describe itself as GrimDark in the blurb.

It was in the UK and while it didn't describe itself on the cover as such it has been "accused" of it. I think I'd be wary of any book proudly proclaiming itself as grimdark in the blurb irrespective of the publisher :)

17 hours ago, Darke said:

Link page says paperback for Starfishers, the actual release page says hardcover. Amazon says paperback. 

Wouldn't shock me if it was a trade paperback. Either way, my copies are in poor shape and I'm just happy some others might discover it.

Blurb for The Core by Peter V. Brett:

https://www.amazon.com/Core-Book-Five-Demon-Cycle/dp/0345531507/

New York Times bestselling author Peter V. Brett brings one of the most imaginative fantasy sagas of the twenty-first century to an epic close.

For time out of mind, bloodthirsty demons have stalked the night, culling the human race to scattered remnants dependent on half-forgotten magics to protect them. Then two heroes arose—men as close as brothers, yet divided by bitter betrayal. Arlen Bales became known as the Warded Man, tattooed head to toe with powerful magic symbols that enable him to fight demons in hand-to-hand combat—and emerge victorious. Jardir, armed with magically warded weapons, called himself the Deliverer, a figure prophesied to unite humanity and lead them to triumph in Sharak Ka—the final war against demonkind.

But in their efforts to bring the war to the demons, Arlen and Jardir have set something in motion that may prove the end of everything they hold dear—a Swarm. Now the war is at hand and humanity cannot hope to win it unless Arlen and Jardir, with the help of Arlen’s wife, Renna, can bend a captured demon prince to their will and force the devious creature to lead them to the Core, where the Mother of Demons breeds an inexhaustible army.

Trusting their closest confidantes, Leesha, Inevera, Ragen and Elissa, to rally the fractious people of the Free Cities and lead them against the Swarm, Arlen, Renna, and Jardir set out on a desperate quest into the darkest depths of evil—from which none of them expects to return alive.

New K.J. Parker novella announced by Subterranean Press:

http://subterraneanpress.com/news/announcing-mightier-than-the-sword/

Also did not know Ben Aaronovitch has a novella coming out with them in June as well.  From the London Rivers series.  Neither have any listings other then the collector's hardcover but hopefully ebooks and their regular trade editions will be available by the time of publication.

On 2/23/2017 at 2:13 PM, Brendan Moody said:

E-books, probably, but Subterranean doesn't always do trade editions. They haven't for their last few Parker titles. If they didn't announce it along with the limited I doubt they're doing one for either novella.

There are Parker titles for which no ebook exists??

There are Parker titles for which no trade edition exists. I believe everything is available as an e-book.

Speaking of Parker and e-books, Meadowland, one of the historical novels published under his real name, dropped to $2.99 in the US Kindle store recently: https://www.amazon.com/Meadowland-Thomas-C-Holt-ebook/dp/B00GVG00PM/ If the sample is anything to go by, it's pretty similar in style to the first-person stuff written as Parker.

A new adventure in Ben Aaronovitch’s bestselling PC Grant series, for September 2017

Gollancz is delighted to announce the acquisition of THE FURTHEST STATION, a brand new novella in the bestselling PC Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch, for publication in September 2017.

THE FURTHEST STATION is Ben Aaronovitch’s first PC Grant novella . . . and there’s something going bump on the Metropolitan line. And when commuters start reporting encounters with ghosts up and down the track – encounters which they forget entirely within minutes – Peter Grant gets a call to investigate. And the very first interview leads to a ghost-hunting expedition  . . .

The unabridged audio edition – read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith – and ebook edition will be published simultaneously with the hardback.

Archived