Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

Not much reporting yet. Though the BBC has this note.

And from looking at pictures on Twitter (I know, I know), it seems both bridges across the Bosphorous have been shut down and there's military forces all over Istanbul; including lots of reports of gunfire and military jets flying low.

Kinda sounds like a coup is in progress, but it could be something else. Any borders in Istanbul?

ETA: Yep, its a coup attempt. Unlike from the Prime Minister's statement if its been stopped or if its still ongoing and he's trying to make it sound like its failed.

ETA2: Per Reuters' twitter feed, the military (unclear if its basically all of them are just a sub-faction) issued a statement claiming the coup has been successful and that they will respect and uphold all existing foreign relations.

6 minutes ago, Leap said:

Is the Turkish PM the one who's an absolute bastard?

In any case, bad news. Hopefully it has indeed failed, with minimal bloodshed. 

The president is, Erdogan. But maybe the PM, too. And if the military is trying to take him down because of his continuing radical policies, I would not consider that a bad thing. But I agree about minimizing the bloodshed.

Its the President who's the bad one, and he is conventionally not in the country today. I think he's in Mongolia actually, so even if he got on a flight now to somewhere in Turkey other than Istanbul, by the time he arrived it might be too late to rally any security forces.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Its the President who's the bad one, and he is conventionally not in the country today. I think he's in Mongolia actually, so even if he got on a flight now to somewhere in Turkey other than Istanbul, by the time he arrived it might be too late to rally any security forces.

Thanks for the correction Fez - yes.  

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Apparently Turkey has a history of military coups. The military tends to protect the secular democratic state.

Was going to point this out if no-one had. It's basically a tradition there that the military intervenes every so often and resets the government to a more democratic one. Iirc there was a plan discovered a few years ago that was cut off, so I'm not surprised it's eventually happened.

It's such a weird thing, from a western perspective. A military coup to protect what we perceive as freedom from the perils of democracy.

Just now, polishgenius said:

Was going to point this out if no-one had. It's basically a tradition there that the military intervenes every so often and resets the government to a more democratic one. Iirc there was a plan discovered a few years ago that was cut off, so I'm not surprised it's eventually happened.

It's such a weird thing, from a western perspective. A military coup to protect what we perceive as freedom from the perils of democracy.

As Plato said "democracy is just a series of small steps towards despotism" ;)

8 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Putin must be having a drink in quiet satisfaction right now, if true.

Quite the opposite. The Turkish military top brass is pretty much pro-NATO while Erdogan managed to reconciliate with Putin just a few weeks ago. If anything, this is a potential disaster for Putin.

10 minutes ago, Relic said:

This is nuts. 

Turkey has American gifted nukes, is that correct?

I don't think they do. At some points in the Cold War the Americans did station nukes there but IIRC they agreed to pull them back after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Archived