Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well if there was ever an appropriate time for a covert foreign assassination attempt on Erdogan this would be it. 

In the chaos anyone could be blamed.

lol, yeah those have worked out great in the past!!

You're actually advocating that a democratically elected leader be assassinated during a coup? You're watching too many movies buddy. 

G

I hope someone gave NATO a heads up...

This is an internal matter, so it's really got nothing to do with NATO.

An F-16 from the Turkish air force shot down the helicopter over Ankara, apparently the one that had been shooting up the intelligence building. It's rather unclear who's controlling the other choppers over both Ankara and Istanbul.

General feeling that the coup has been contained in Ankara and Istanbul and the civilian demonstrations and counter-offensives have prevented it from getting much further.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

The more frightening idea to me is the idea that, while the coup does not succeed, it starts a civil war,.  Think of Syria.  Or not that violent, Egypt.  Or Libya.

There are 75 million people in Turkey.  Just imagine the potential refugee problem....

This was my first thought. A Civil War in Turkey would make the already fucked situation in Syria and Iraq significantly worse.  The potential for this to spiral out of control is very real.

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

Well this is just outright racist.

Just now, Harakiri said:

Nice racism.

You guys haven't followed Tayyip's antics in the past I take from this. http://www.thelocal.de/20160406/german-comedian-could-face-jail-for-insulting-erdogan that's what the goatfucking refers to. 

Just now, The BlackBear said:

Goatfucker is regularly used as a derogatory insult for muslims, just because a comedian put in a poem doesn't make it not racist.

Since when? I have heard a lot of racist language over the years, but no one in my neck of the woods refers to Muslims as goatfuckers... You can swap goatfucker for any of the other insults Böhmermann addressed to Tayyip. Or invent some new insult to refer to that piece of shit and his cronies. 

Apparently significant numbers of Turkish troops loyal to the government have entered Istanbul. The coup forces on the bridges have been told to stand down or face serious consequences.

That's not what NATO is thinking right now. 

I think that's exactly what they are thinking. They may want to consider having a rethink of Turkey's attitude (like trying to start WW3 with Russia for no immediately discernible reason), but Turkey is the second-biggest contributor of troops to the alliance, so they're not going to kick them out or anything.

Extremely sloppy and possibly fatal of the coup leaders not to start with actually securing the leaders of the existing government. I'm not sure what they can do at this point though -- they'll surely be executed if they stand down so they have to keep fighting. Depending on how much of the military supporting the coup, this might lead to either a brief struggle or a civil war.

Just now, Veltigar said:

Since when? I have heard a lot of racist language over the years, but no one in my neck of the woods refers to Muslims as goatfuckers... You can swap goatfucker for any of the other insults Böhmermann addressed to Tayyip. Or invent some new insult to refer to that piece of shit and his cronies. 

geitenneuker is a dutch slur coined by the filmmaker Theo van Gogh. Fucking goats comes up regularly in jokes about backwater muslims.

If you want to insult the guy, why not use one that is actually applicable? The guy clearly breaches human rights regularly, why not call him out on that specifically?

Either way, it's a derailment so I'm stepping away from it now.

Reports another helicopter taken down over Istanbul and (non-catastrophic) bombing of Parliament building in Ankara (if the coup was claiming it would restore democracy that seems an odd target... but may be an accident collateral damage, who knows).  Impressions I get is that government has pretty much regained control of Istanbul but it's taking a bit more force in Ankara.  Nowhere else in Turkey seems to have been affected directly.

P.S. Other sites saying parliament building being bombarded/third bomb and MPs are huddled inside.  Really hard to know what to believe.

1 minute ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Don't worry about it, SJWs are just gonna cry.

Back to the coup ...

I'm actually pretty offended by this unfounded accusation of racism. Clearly, my statement referred to the Böhmermann affair and was specifically targetted at Tayyip and his cronies. It certainly wasn't meant as a slur against all Muslims. I would gladly call Putin or any other dictator a goatfucker.  And if those guys are killed in a half-assed coup, as the scenario we were discussing, some other asshole would indeed step up and take control of their faction. 

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

geitenneuker is a dutch slur coined by the filmmaker Theo van Gogh. Fucking goats comes up regularly in jokes about backwater muslims.

Perhaps Van Gogh used that against Muslims for the first time, but the usage of that word is a lot older. Where I'm from goatfucker is used for an annoying, nagging person. A bit like muggenzifter. It's been a while since I have been up there, but I would be surprised if that word was now exclusively anti-muslim in the Netherlands. 

2 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

If you want to insult the guy, why not use one that is actually applicable? The guy clearly breaches human rights regularly, why not call him out on that specifically?

Either way, it's a derailment so I'm stepping away from it now.

Google Böhmermann and the whole lawsuit against him. Then you'll know why I used goatfucker. 

Archived