Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

Extremely sloppy and possibly fatal of the coup leaders not to start with actually securing the leaders of the existing government.

My first thoughts too. What kind of idiot launches a coup without first taking out the existing power structure?

BBC is reporting a tweet saying " Istanbul Police Chief says only 104 soldiers involved in #TurkeyCoup. Leader named as Col Muharrem Kose, recently dismissed as Gulen member. " and also a list of alleged organisers which is being put forward by the state-run news agency.  104 soldiers?!

In other news, Erdogan is pictured at Ataturk airport surrounded by some of the jubilant supporters he asked to come out on the streets.

Just now, Sophelia said:

BBC is reporting a tweet saying " Istanbul Police Chief says only 104 soldiers involved in #TurkeyCoup. Leader named as Col Muharrem Kose, recently dismissed as Gulen member. " and also a list of alleged organisers which is being put forward by the state-run news agency.  104 soldiers?!

In other news, Erdogan is pictured at Ataturk airport surrounded by some of the jubilant supporters he asked to come out on the streets.

Maybe he means 104 senior officers?

32 minutes ago, Notone said:

Ahum, the controversy started somewhat differently. German satire show Extra 3 (pronounced extra dry) took aim at Erdogan with a song to the tune of a Nena song (I linked the version with English subs in the middle eastern thread back then). They did not need to go to the sexual preferences of Erdogan to get him mad. Erdo demanded that the song should be deleted, called in the German ambassador to Turkey and was throwing quite a tantrum. That started a controversy over free speech and how meek the German politicians act(ed) towards Turkey, because the EU and the German goverment in particular so desperately wanted that refugee deal with Turkey. Böhmermann then wrote that poem to educate Erdogan on the difference between satire and smearing (the poem was called Smear Poem), to show what is legal and what's not (he embedded in a segment in which he said, the following poem is not covered by free speech). Extra 3 themselves doubled down on the controversy and replayed the song that started the controversy with Turkish subs. The Extra 3 show anchor Christian Ehring himself remarked he was taken by surprise over the reaction that song provoked on the Turkish site, since it was pretty tame by their standards, and they did a much sharper piece on German vice chancellor Sigmar Gabriel a week later, and sarcastically remarked, that he will probably change his holiday schedule.

Yeah, I'm aware of the general gist of it. Böhmermann was the one who used Goatfucker though, so that's why I deferred to him in this.

40 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

My first thoughts too. What kind of idiot launches a coup without first taking out the existing power structure?

Erdogan seems to be saying (according to a couple of people in twitter translating his speech) that the hotel he was staying in Marmaris was bombed - but after he had left.

P.S. Others are reporting that he lied.

P.P.S. I didn't hear anything about this before on twitter but surely can be factually checked (if he did indeed make this claim)

P.P.P.S. Heading off to try and sleep now.  Hope things don't escalate.

If it's not fast, it's not a coup.

This isn't fast, so it's either a failed coup, or a civil war.

If it's a failed coup, expect even more paranoia and authoritarianism from Erdogan.

If it's a civil war, then everything is so utterly fucked it's hard to know where to begin.

BBC reporting that coup soldiers are being arrested.   It's over. 

Really poorly planned.  You need to take the leaders into captivity ASAP, but they completely dropped the ball in that regard.

If the coup is well and truly over, I expect that Erdogan will use it as pretense to be done with what little democracy remains in Turkey.  A failed coup played right into his hands.  

7 minutes ago, davos said:

If the coup is well and truly over, I expect that Erdogan will use it as pretense to be done with what little democracy remains in Turkey.  A failed coup played right into his hands.  

That's the suspicion of why he's calling it a terrorist attack instead of failed coup

I'm anti-Erdogan, anti-military and pro-democracy so I can't but take note of the fact that that all of the opposition parties, including the HDP opposed the coup basically from the start. When there are anti-coup rallies in places like Izmir, you've got yourself one unpopular coup.

53 minutes ago, Red Hermit said:

This coup seemed doomed to fail but right wingers are bashing Obama for not supporting it.  Somehow I don't think that would have been a good look.

That's dumb. What was he supposed to do? Send in a CIA assassination squad on less than a hour notice? 

If the coup hasn't succeeded within the first few hours, then it's already fucked.

Archived