Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

Looks like Erdogan won, i.e. the majority voted "yes" by a narrow margin. Considering that any critical press has been silenced, many journalists or dissenters imprisoned or fled, Erdogan non-stop on state tv (and giving up to 3 speeches a day), it's certainly not a landslide victory, but still...

The final numbers are not out yet.

Not to mention widespread reports of election fraud.

Turkey appears to have just voted in (legitimately or not) a dictator, which is a shocking development in the 21st Century. Any chance of Turkey ever joining the EU has certainly just gone out the window.

I saw one of the opposition parties claiming that a lot of counted ballots were missing some sort of official stamp on them. But I don't know if that's a sign of voter fraud (they claimed it was) or just sloppiness by election officials. And I've no idea how common that issue came up.

Didn't the guy say in a speech that anyone who votes no is a supporter of the coup last year? And I can't imagine the crackdown on the opposition since then helped the no vote any. I'm actually surprised the referendum was as close at it was honestly. 

Archived