Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

4 minutes ago, Leap said:

- Trump's tweet.

So, not 100% sure on what he's saying here... doubtful that he's bragging about the inevitable military coup after he becomes president, so perhaps threatening Clinton or Obama with a coup? What? Does he realise he's a legitimate contender in the democratic election? 

Not that I expected it to make sense.

It is from a parody account. Worryingly realistic.

A reporter on the CBC here is Turkish and her sister-in-law in Ankara has tweeted that the mosques are using their sound systems, the ones they use for the call to prayer, to call the people out to the streets in support of Erdogan.

The military, of course, have to take care that they don't turn the population against them by shooting civilians in the streets.

The main opposition leader has said he doesn't suppor the coup and they have to respect the democratically-elected government.

Lots of gunfire on the bridges now. It appears they're still warning shots.

Reports that a helicopter rocketed the state TV building and set fire to the military intelligence HQ.

9 minutes ago, Leap said:

- Trump's tweet.

So, not 100% sure on what he's saying here... doubtful that he's bragging about the inevitable military coup after he becomes president, so perhaps threatening Clinton or Obama with a coup? What? Does he realise he's a legitimate contender in the democratic election? 

Not that I expected it to make sense.

That's even more amazing than I could have hoped.

ETA: aww...a parody account. 

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A reporter on the CBC here is Turkish and her sister-in-law in Ankara has tweeted that the mosques are using their sound systems, the ones they use for the call to prayer, to call the people out to the streets in support of Erdogan.

The military, of course, have to take care that they don't turn the population against them by shooting civilians in the streets.

I thought most of Erdogan's support was in rural areas, not in the major cities.

Oh crap, some reports that the shooting on the bridges may have been at the crowd. Also reports of shots fired at the airport. Other reports saying that some of the military vehicles have pulled out and that civilian police are arresting soldiers.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If this coup fails what happens to secularism in Turkey?

Probably nothing good. Let's hope that, if it fails, the AKP comes to the conclusion that the Gülen movement was behind it. That will hopefully limit the damage. If Tayyip bounces back from this he'll probably succeed in undoing all of Atatürk's acomplishments :( 

3 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I've also heard rumors that Germany denied Erdogan Asylum, so there are tumors going in both directions. That rumor was from more than half an hour ago, though.

It would surprise me if he went to Germany for asylum if things really went sour. I think the US or the UK is a far more likely destination in that case. 

Difficult to know what's really happening, but sounds like Erdogan's plea for people to come out into public places to protest the coup were successful (encouraged also by mosques) and loads of people turned out, with opposition politicians also denouncing the coup.  Implausible tales of people storming tanks with their bare hands.  But elsewhere gunfire etc. being reported.

The bravery of the people is astonishing (I'd be staying safe at home myself*).

*even if I was a huge Erdogan fan

13 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I thought most of Erdogan's support was in rural areas, not in the major cities.

Much of the opposition to the things he's doing is happening in the cities, because he has been taking control of or shutting down media outlets and muzzling free speech.  But he was democratically elected by 52% of the voters (same as Brexit!) and people do take their democracy seriously.

The CBC here is showing fairly large crowds of people taking to the streets.  People are Muslims, and if the mosques are calling them out, many will come out.

And now police are trying to arrest members of the military.  Also, Turkey uses conscription, so a lot of soldiers would ome from small towns in Turkey, where Erdogan has support.

tanks are firing according to the Guardian

Tanks have opened fire near the Turkish parliament building, Reuters reports, following similar reports from NTV and local journalists about gunfire in Ankara and Istanbul.

Protesters have heard Erdogan’s call to take to the streets, though, and some are chanting “shoulder to shoulder against the coup”. Others have squared off with military forces who’ve closed bridges and streets. In one video, a policeman and military officer argue in a crowd in the street; in another, cars jammed in traffic honked horns in unison as people mill among them. In a third, a crowd sings and lifts up a huge Turkish flag.

Archived