Do you think that the person who will sit on the iron throne

Feologild

Supposing Dany, Jon and numerous other candidates die out in the final battle(s), a power vacuum would enable relative unknowns to emerge -- people have suggested minors like Gendry, for example (a big IF, since he needs to get off a boat, get an army behind him and a lot of training before this happens). 

Somehow I think the showrunners might even leave it open to interpretation. So we might not even get to see who ends up on the throne, we just see the deaths, and finally the survivors grouping under a likely leader or two and cut to black. 

5 hours ago, illinifan said:

The Iron Throne won't exist.  

Good point. Iron Throne must be melted to create more Valyrian swords for the battle to come. There is not time to really discover the old ways of forging them from scratch.

11 minutes ago, Marada78 said:

Good point. Iron Throne must be melted to create more Valyrian swords for the battle to come. There is not time to really discover the old ways of forging them from scratch.

Yep.  That is exactly what I think will happen.  Very cool thematically as well.

54 minutes ago, Travis said:

I've always felt from the beginning that Jon and/or Dany will have the Iron Throne destroyed.

I believe whoever ends up "winning" will have gone through so much grief they will destroy the throne chair.  Maybe even King's Landing itself.  Dany came from Dothrak where they believe man-made structures are an affront to the Earth.  Mayhaps she will adopt some of that and cleanse it all out and let people just go natural farming, etc.  No GMO.

This cannot end with some clean finale of some person sitting down and holding court and the lutes begin playing.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I've always felt from the beginning that Jon and/or Dany will have the Iron Throne destroyed.

I've thought that since Season 5 when Jon killed a White Walker at Hardhome using Longclaw.  Dragon forged steel kills White Walkers and here is a magic object made of dragon forged steel.  I suspect what happens during the last two seasons is that Jon gets pulled into the affairs of Westros and is increasingly distracted.  He actually ends up being a good ruler, moral but savvier and more realistic than Uncle Ned.  And he sided with Davos over Melisandre which puts him ahead of Stannis.  However, he takes eye off the White Walkers and ends up south.  Destroying the Iron Throne to fight the White Walkers is a renewal of purpose.  It would be so awesome if it was Jon and Sam speaking in a destroyed Throne Room and they finally realize that the Throne can be used against the White Walkers.

2 hours ago, illinifan said:

I've thought that since Season 5 when Jon killed a White Walker at Hardhome using Longclaw.  Dragon forged steel kills White Walkers and here is a magic object made of dragon forged steel.  I suspect what happens during the last two seasons is that Jon gets pulled into the affairs of Westros and is increasingly distracted.  He actually ends up being a good ruler, moral but savvier and more realistic than Uncle Ned.  And he sided with Davos over Melisandre which puts him ahead of Stannis.  However, he takes eye off the White Walkers and ends up south.  Destroying the Iron Throne to fight the White Walkers is a renewal of purpose.  It would be so awesome if it was Jon and Sam speaking in a destroyed Throne Room and they finally realize that the Throne can be used against the White Walkers.

i thought i read here it was a misnomer that the throne chair is comprised of Valyrian steel swords.  That it is just made up of regular swords and maybe some special ones, etc

5 hours ago, illinifan said:

I am totally convinced the WW will end up south.  I see them and their armies entering and taking Kingslanding.  And then I see the wildfire lit to "burn them all!!".  Strangely enough I also see Jamie Lanister saving Danys life, and being the one to put the wildfire alight.  Regaining his honor and finally fulfilling the last order of the King he killed to prevent that order from being carried out.

4 hours ago, Blackphillip said:

I am totally convinced the WW will end up south.  I see them and their armies entering and taking Kingslanding.  And then I see the wildfire lit to "burn them all!!".  Strangely enough I also see Jamie Lanister saving Danys life, and being the one to put the wildfire alight.  Regaining his honor and finally fulfilling the last order of the King he killed to prevent that order from being carried out.

I think Jaime kills Cersei because she tries to burn down KL myself.  Jon is actually tempted to go down the Stannis path and sacrifice Dany as Nissa-Nissa but doesn't. 

8 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

i thought i read here it was a misnomer that the throne chair is comprised of Valyrian steel swords.  That it is just made up of regular swords and maybe some special ones, etc

The Iron Throne in the book has magic.  It actually rejects bad kings.  That didn't make it into the show, but I do hope that it gets destroyed to fight against the White Walkers.

23 hours ago, illinifan said:

I think Jaime kills Cersei because she tries to burn down KL myself.  Jon is actually tempted to go down the Stannis path and sacrifice Dany as Nissa-Nissa but doesn't. 

The Iron Throne in the book has magic.  It actually rejects bad kings.  That didn't make it into the show, but I do hope that it gets destroyed to fight against the White Walkers.

Heavy and interesting.

On 2016. 7. 19. at 0:13 PM, Iron Mother said:

You're correct. The throne can't be made of Valyrian steel swords -- they weren't that numerous, even back then. It's just all sorts of steel swords, melted down by dragonfire.

It would be fun to see a new throne, although I don't think we'll ever get to that point. 

I don't think the IT is made of Valyrian steel. If it (VS) is so precious, I can't see anyone stupid enough to use them to make a chair. The IT is a symbol, one of power and authority over others. A symbol of subjugation. Sure, it is said that it rejects bad kings, but it is what it is. Just like the Wall, in my opinion - it has to and will be destroyed. There can be no peace in the "realm" if the IT and the Wall remains. They are symbols of authoritarian power over others and that of division, respectively.

On 7/16/2016 at 9:30 AM, Feologild said:

Could be a person that we have not seen yet ?

I take that you mean it symbolically as in who will rule the Seven Kingdoms at the end of the series regardless of what happens physically to the throne etc.  I will probably comment more extensively once I have my head round to the various possibilities but to me to have a new comer in power would be totally unsatisfying.  The only time when this, IMHO, would make sense is if George was planning on a whole part B to the entire ASOIAF series, otherwise it would almost be like having a murder mystery ending in a complete new character having done it.  It has to be someone, or more than one person as things could well end up with the territory divided into various kingdoms we are familiar with or else it would be a huge question mark as we wouldn't know what kind of king/queen this would turn out to be.  Also, seems a little "cheap" almost like telling the reader/viewer:  "ha,ha, you though you could guess this one, didn't you?" when it was in fact impossible.

What I will say, however, is that no matter who holds the power, someone will have to, even if it turns out to be an assembly, say, for argument sake, there is always a leader.  Yet, I think the whole point of the series is that the people and rulers of this Universe will learn some hard lessons and the power structure will certainly change, exactly how I don't know though...

Archived