Do you think that the person who will sit on the iron throne

Feologild

The Iron Throne is not made up of Valyrian Swords. The swords come from the opposing armies of Aegon the Conquerer, which were made of regular steel.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:26 AM, illinifan said:

The Iron Throne in the book has magic.  It actually rejects bad kings.  That didn't make it into the show, but I do hope that it gets destroyed to fight against the White Walkers.

Where in the book does it say that the Iron Throne has magic? I don't recall this ever coming up. It is certainly I havenever come acrossed on these forums.

33 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

The Iron Throne is not made up of Valyrian Swords. The swords come from the opposing armies of Aegon the Conquerer, which were made of regular steel.

Where in the book does it say that the Iron Throne has magic? I don't recall this ever coming up. It is certainly I havenever come acrossed on these forums.

I bet that iron forged by dragons is magic, just like dragon glass is magic.  We have just seen the Valyrian steel and dragon daggers in action.  

And it is inferred that the Iron Throne rejects bad kings.  It actually stabs them.  

6 minutes ago, illinifan said:

I bet that iron forged by dragons is magic, just like dragon glass is magic.  We have just seen the Valyrian steel and dragon daggers in action.  

And it is inferred that the Iron Throne rejects bad kings.  It actually stabs them.  

That doesn't make it magical though.

There aren't enough episodes left to make this plausible and it would be a massively unsatisfying (and quite bizarre?) conclusion. Though like many have noted already, I don't think there will be an Iron Throne at all.

Dany's HOTU scene in the show makes me think Cersei will blow up the rest of KL with wildfire before all is said and done.  So no one will be sitting on the Iron Throne in the end, because the Red Keep will be a ruin.

That doesn't necessarily mean the series will end with Westeros not having a King and/or Queen, it just means the King and/or Queen won't be making their capital the burnt out KL with its Iron Throne.  There will be a new capital imo.  

3 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Dany's HOTU scene in the show makes me think Cersei will blow up the rest of KL with wildfire before all is said and done.  So no one will be sitting on the Iron Throne in the end, because the Red Keep will be a ruin.

That doesn't necessarily mean the series will end with Westeros not having a King and/or Queen, it just means the King and/or Queen won't be making their capital the burnt out KL with its Iron Throne.  There will be a new capital imo.  

Winterfell or the Vale. That would be cool.

48 minutes ago, Travis said:

Winterfell or the Vale. That would be cool.

New capital sounds good.

Dany might just construct her own out of scratch though, like Aegon created a city where he landed (ie King's Landing) -- I can't think of an established location that sounds good. Winterfell is too north, sadly, and Vale is too isolated. Perhaps where the Crossroads Inn is located, near the Saltpans? It's a great strategic location between North and South, and oddly near the Ruby Fords as well. Symbolism, putting a new capital where Rhaegar died. (This is just musing by the way. I actually think KL will still stand, even though the stench makes me think we need to move.)

22 hours ago, Sophie of House Stark said:

There aren't enough episodes left to make this plausible and it would be a massively unsatisfying (and quite bizarre?) conclusion. Though like many have noted already, I don't think there will be an Iron Throne at all.

I think the showrunners and GRRM are good enough storytellers to convince us a semi-open ending is a good idea -- if they want to do it. I get your point about it being a bit of a letdown, but they can pull it off. The final ep focus may be on the showdown with WW, not on what comes next, with just a few hints about where survivors are grouping. It would actually serve to enhance fan interest -- think of how many theories would pop up on the boards about what happens after S8. GOT would become a fan legend for years.

And if not an Iron Throne, what will we have? I'm expecting a ruling monarch at least, since GOT is not quite ready for a full democracy -- just yet (as much as we would like it). A weirwood throne? Would be fun to think about ideas.

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Didn't Lysa Aryn sit on a Weirwood seat? Maybe it wasn't her, but I think someone in Westeros sat on a Weirwood seat.

Yes, the Arryn throne in the Eyrie is made of weirwood. There was also a historic oaken seat in the Reach used by House Gardener, carved out of live oak, that was later burned.

Rather random, but I thought it would be symbolic if the new throne was made of weirwood -- conversely, of course, dead weirwood is actually sacrilege to the COTF so perhaps a living weirwood throne would suit. Although the logistics of carving out a living weirwood tree makes my head ache. 

I can't believe that Westeros could survive what's coming as a single entity, but then Westeros as a single entity is itself unbelievable, given its size, lack of technology, the climate, etc. So, idk.

I hope that we've already met the person who'll sit the throne. We have a ridiculous number of new characters and plot twists as it is. Adding some more would fall flat, the way Aegon did (for me, anyway).

Archived