US Elections: My religion Trumps yours

I have been reading the information that has come out so far about the Republican platform.

there are too many to pick a favorite, but here are a few outstanding ones:

Lawmakers should use religion when legislating.

:lmao:  I may not mind it so much if they used my religion :P , but the fact that they rile against one of the worlds largest religions just kills me

Coal is a clean energy

They obviously have a very different definition of clean energy than I do

conversion therapy for gays, as parents have the right to make medical decisions for their children

Praying away the gay is bad, but this is much worse:  what medical treatment are they advocating? Shock therapy?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the entertainment the full and official platform will bring.

Somehow this reminds me of the part of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where all the useless and incompetent boobs are all collected together and sent off into space.  

If only life would imitate art.

10 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

What exactly counts as dirty?

When the coal's sexual preferences don't match up with the religious views of the far right.

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

Somehow this reminds me of the part of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where all the useless and incompetent boobs are all collected together and sent off into space.  

If only life would imitate art.

Yes but, they were ultimately the foundations of humanity.  And the people who would have prevented the apocalypse on their home planet.  

Spoiler

A disease transmitted by telephone handsets, IIRC.

Trump's introduction of Pence seems to have gone as well as expected yesterday...

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/16/12205878/donald-trump-mike-pence-vp-speech

What started as farce continued as farce. Trump emerged without Pence. He spoke, alone, at a podium adorned with Trump’s name, but not Pence’s. And then Trump proceeded to talk about himself for 28 minutes...

I can tell you that he rambled, but that doesn’t do it justice. He spoke about Hillary Clinton, about himself, about his victories. He talked about crushing the Republican establishment in the primaries and talking to a buddy building plants in Mexico. He bragged about the beautiful hotel he is building in Washington, DC, and patted himself on the back for his foreign policy foresight over the years.
Every five minutes or so, he seemed to remember, just for a moment, like a man trying and failing to wake from a dream, that he was there to introduce Mike Pence, and so he would say something like, "now back to Mike Pence," but then he would slip back again, and tell another anecdote about himself.

I love the 'back to Mike Pence' quote, btw:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trumps-pence-introduction-takes-2016-even-weirder-direction

“Back to Mike Pence. So one of the primary reasons I chose Mike was I looked at Indiana, and I won Indiana big. Remember, Indiana was going to be the firewall. That’s where Trump was going to – they agreed I’d win New York, I’d win Pennsylvania, I’d win all these places. But Indiana was going to be the firewall. So I got to study Indiana, and I got to study New York and a lot of other places, and I saw how NAFTA, signed by Bill Clinton, has drained our manufacturing jobs, just drained us like we’ve never been drained before. NAFTA, again, signed by Bill Clinton. NAFTA is the worst economic deal in the history of our country. Manufacturing down in some states 55 percent, 60 percent. It’s a horror show, moving to Mexico, moving to other places.”

'Back to Mike Pence'. On the other hand, let's talk about the primaries, about NAFTA, about Mexico... who's Mike Pence, again?

But back to the original article:

On Saturday morning, as Trump prepared to brag about his hotel business before introducing Pence, he briefly turned to the issue. Keep in mind he had the whole night to prepare.
"So many friends in Turkey," Trump said. "Great people, amazing people. We wish them well. A lot of anguish last night, but hopefully it will all work out."

'Hopefully it will all work out'.

Good write up on Pence. I didn't know that much about him, other than his crazy law. It's kind of scary that the President from the Purge could actually become Vice President.

Where Is Mike Pence’s Faith?

He was an outspoken evangelical. Now Trump’s VP pick hides his beliefs under a bushel.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/07/mike_pence_s_religion_why_the_trump_vp_pick_is_quiet_about_his_beliefs.html

On 7/16/2016 at 8:45 AM, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Praying away the gay is bad, but this is much worse:  what medical treatment are they advocating? Shock therapy?

You're misreading the structure of the argument. They're not indicating that they think other "therapies" to "cure" homosexuality should be on the table, they're simply justifying conversion therapy and rooting it into the larger and broadly accepted legal and moral principle that parents have the right to dictate medical decisions for their children.

Now, a more salient question might be whether or not "conversion therapy" constitutes a legitimate medical treatment... By any serious standard of psychological treatment, I think it's fair to say the answer is "no." 

55 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

They're not indicating that they think other "therapies" to "cure" homosexuality should be on the table, they're simply justifying conversion therapy and rooting it into the larger and broadly accepted legal and moral principle that parents have the right to dictate medical decisions for their children.

Sooo... they aren't asking for "therapies" to be on the table.  They just want assurances that if they were on the table, parents would have a legal right to subject their kids to them?

I am not sure if they are serious standards for psychological treatments... Until about 50 (or less) years ago, "treating" homosexuality was an accepted procedure in mainstream psychology/psychiatry (or at least among a considerable fraction of psychologists). Now those treatments might have been stupid or worse, actually mistreating people with useless therapies. But why should psychologists have been so misguided back then or why should they be so much smarter now? By which standards do we know that? (I am not advocating such therapies. I just think that it is hard to argue against them referring to standards for psycho therapies because the "conversion therapies" apparently met those standards not such a long time ago.)

I do hope most here got to witness the glory that was that Trump/Pence 60 Minutes interview.  There's so much gold in there it's hard to pick a favorite.  It brings up fond memories of Palin's interview with Katie Couric.  Just an obvious lack of comprehension for the job and what their actual beliefs/principles are.  Leslie Stahl was masterful.  These goobers have no clue.  

5 hours ago, Jo498 said:

I am not sure if they are serious standards for psychological treatments... Until about 50 (or less) years ago, "treating" homosexuality was an accepted procedure in mainstream psychology/psychiatry (or at least among a considerable fraction of psychologists). Now those treatments might have been stupid or worse, actually mistreating people with useless therapies. But why should psychologists have been so misguided back then or why should they be so much smarter now? By which standards do we know that? (I am not advocating such therapies. I just think that it is hard to argue against them referring to standards for psycho therapies because the "conversion therapies" apparently met those standards not such a long time ago.)

Cause science progresses dude, same reason demonic possession is no longer a valid diagnosis and exorcism is no longer a valid treatment.

3 hours ago, Jo498 said:

The idea that there aren't any standards for something because treatment was different 50 years ago seems to be an obviously flawed way of analyzing the problem. If you look at just about any area of science or medicine, and look at what we were doing 50 years ago and compare it to what we do now, it's pretty clear that  diagnosis and treatment of all sorts of medical and psychological issues evolve dramatically over that timeframe. I mean hell, we've only had cognitive behavioral therapy since really the late 1980s / early 1990s and it's become the most widely used evidence-based treatment for mental disorders. While it's obviously true at one time that homosexuality was considered a mental disorder, it's equally true that there is now essentially a consensus that homosexual behavior is a natural variation in human sexuality, which has existed in human society throughout history, and which is amply demonstrated in lots of other animals as well. 

Archived