US Elections: My religion Trumps yours

10 hours ago, Shryke said:

Other hilarious thing?

Trump is literally giving an interview on Fox during his own convention. Like, at the same time as the convention is going on. He's literally on another network, competing for viewership with the convention that exists to nominate him.

Not only did he call in, but he did so during the Benghazi mother's speech, and Fox cut away from it:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-republican-convention-2016-live-in-middle-of-emotional-plea-on-1468889684-htmlstory.html

7 hours ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

Awesome. Melania Trump's speech not only ripped off Michelle's speech, it also contained a RickRoll.

I kinda think that whoever was the speechwriter for Melania was a double agent.

And now Trump's campaign manager is sounding like he's  throwing her under the bus.

ETA: Also, people in the convention hall started leaving after Trump walked off the stage with his wife following her speech, so several speakers after her had no one left in the audience to listen to them. Talk about a train wreck of a day/night. 

35 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Are you serious?  Everyone knows Melania is a lightweight, so why would this be even a minor issue?  Since when did Trump supporters care about intellectual honesty? 

It's not about Melania but about the Trump campaign making another unenforced error. How can people actually believe that a guy who can't run his own campaign will be able to run the country? True Trump supporters won't give a shit but others will (independents or disgusted republicans) and it's a story that they won't want as there are 4 important speeches at the RNC: Trump, Melania, Ivanka and Pence. One of them is already getting headlines for all the wrong reasons. Yet another mistake that may limit the gains they would have gotten from post RNC bump.

52 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Are you serious?  Everyone knows Melania is a lightweight, so why would this be even a minor issue?  Since when did Trump supporters care about intellectual honesty? 

Trump supporters don't. But Trump is still at 40%, at best, in the polls. He needs to convince undecided voters to support him, and having this plagiarism thing be all that the media is talking about is not going to help with that.

On the other hand, its a sad statement that it is the main issue, rather than all the batshit insane things that all the other speakers were saying.

47 minutes ago, Fez said:

Trump supporters don't. But Trump is still at 40%, at best, in the polls. He needs to convince undecided voters to support him, and having this plagiarism thing be all that the media is talking about is not going to help with that.

On the other hand, its a sad statement that it is the main issue, rather than all the batshit insane things that all the other speakers were saying.

Fez,

I've seen a few argue that the plagerism was deliberately used to deflect attention from the "stop-Trump" delegates and the crazy stuff his supporters are saying.

24 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Fez,

I've seen a few argue that the plagerism was deliberately used to deflect attention from the "stop-Trump" delegates and the crazy stuff his supporters are saying.

I doubt it, but the Trump campaign is so incompetent that they may have. It would be a major unforced error though. If she had just given a generic, nominee's spouse speech, everyone would just be talking about how humanizing she made Trump look and how he's really a normal, sweet guy in person and all that. The media was ready for that story, its even with they were going with early on until the plagiarism came to light.

There was no need to cover up the crazy stuff and the roll call issue, since that wasn't going to get talked about anyway. Because the media will never actually point out stuff like that, unless they can say both sides are doing it.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I doubt it, but the Trump campaign is so incompetent that they may have. It would be a major unforced error though. If she had just given a generic, nominee's spouse speech, everyone would just be talking about how humanizing she made Trump look and how he's really a normal, sweet guy in person and all that. The media was ready for that story, its even with they were going with early on until the plagiarism came to light.

There was no need to cover up the crazy stuff and the roll call issue, since that wasn't going to get talked about anyway. Because the media will never actually point out stuff like that, unless they can say both sides are doing it.

Think the other issue is that I didn't hear any single anecdote that humanized him. There was nothing specific in any of the speeches. Take Giuliani's for example. He's been praised for giving a good speech (even if he did come across as an angry televangelist) and kept going on and on how he was going to tell us something that Trump didn't want us to know, about his anonymous donations and generosity yet he never once mentioned the actual anecdote. At least from what I saw anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Think the other issue is that I didn't hear any single anecdote that humanized him. There was nothing specific in any of the speeches. 

This. Her speech did a poor job of humanizing Trump and/or making him more relatable. It wasn't a bad speech by any means, plagiarism aside, but I don't think it really accomplished anything. 

The plagiarizing Michelle Obama has to be sabotage, which is hysterical.

The sad thing is, this has never been about the candidate or the issues or anything else. It's just pure left vs. right line drawn in the sand.

18 minutes ago, sperry said:

The plagiarizing Michelle Obama has to be sabotage, which is hysterical.

The sad thing is, this has never been about the candidate or the issues or anything else. It's just pure left vs. right line drawn in the sand.

Not entirely.  I fall to the right side of the spectrum and I will not give Trump my vote.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

It points to how inept his campaign (and a possible future Presidency) really are.  Even the most deluded Trump supporter can't help but think about this.  At least, I would think. 

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, though. 

13 hours ago, TheMightyKC said:

The fact is this country is overrun by criminals, murderers, drug dealers, rap musicians, home delivery abortionists, democrats, and satanist punk rockers... someone needs to look out for the good God fearing people of America. All lives do matter, especially those unborn in their mothers bellies. If all lives don't matter, then no lives matter. 

the last statement is a conditional rule that is triggered by the casual dismissal of the value of classes of persons inherent in the first premise, producing thereby what appears to be an unintentional nihilism. congratulations on proclaiming that no lives matter, contrary to the purported christianist ethos.

9 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

It points to how inept his campaign (and a possible future Presidency) really are.  Even the most deluded Trump supporter can't help but think about this.  At least, I would think. 

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, though. 

I'm obviously not an expert, but I suspect that the cross-over between likely voters who want to deport 11 million people, build a wall between the US and Mexico, and immediately halt Muslim immigration into the US and likely voters who really care that Trump's third wife gave a convention speech that was partially plagiarized is pretty small. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Fez,

A good rule of thumb when trying to decide if malice or incompetence is at play, is to assume incompetence.  There is so much more of that in the world.

In bigger news than the plagiarism, the entire convention, and quite possibly this whole election cycle, it looks like Roger Ailes is out at Fox News

Megyn Kelly has told Fox's outside probe that Ailes had sexually harassed her in the past and now 21st Century Fox is waiving the NDAs of women (plural) that have reached settlements over other Ailes harassment claims so that they can also be interviewed.

Meanwhile, sources say that the Murdochs have told Ailes he needs to resign before August 1 or he'll be fired with cause.

The Murdochs are conservative, no question about it, but it was Ailes that turned Fox News into what it is today, and someone else being in charge will result in changes to it. The scale of those changes is up in the air, but the scope and importance of Fox News in conservative media (which in turn is the lynchpin of modern conservative politics) mean that any changes will have dramatic effects. 

Just now, Fez said:

In bigger news than the plagiarism, the entire convention, and quite possibly this whole election cycle, it looks like Roger Ailes is out at Fox News

Megyn Kelly has told Fox's outside probe that Ailes had sexually harassed her in the past and now 21st Century Fox is waiving the NDAs of women (plural) that have reached settlements over other Ailes harassment claims so that they can also be interviewed.

Meanwhile, sources say that the Murdochs have told Ailes he needs to resign before August 1 or he'll be fired with cause.

The Murdochs are conservative, no question about it, but it was Ailes that turned Fox News into what it is today, and someone else being in charge will result in changes to it. The scale of those changes is up in the air, but the scope and importance of Fox News in conservative media (which in turn is the lynchpin of modern conservative politics) mean that any changes will have dramatic effects. 

Ahum, so Ailes stepping down will make Fox News less obnoxious? I don't think so, Rupert will find somebody who will continue the work of Ailes. As long as this televised talk radio is financially succesful it won't change on iota.

45 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not entirely.  I fall to the right side of the spectrum and I will not give Trump my vote.

You might be right leaning for this board, but I'm almost certain you'd be considered pretty far left (with some libertarian quirks) in the US as a whole.

Archived