Pokemon Go

Denvek

Why is this not a thing yet I thought there were nerds here?

Seems to have been a very popular weekend while the servers were up - the only gym I was able to beat (it had a CP74 Krabby) was up a level with a different gym leader before I even got off the bench I was on, and by the time I got home (about 5 minutes walk), my Haunter had already been beaten up and kicked out.

And for anyone who hasn't yet decided which team to join, I will now quote from the original theme song to show you why Ash Ketchum would be on Team Mystic:

"...I will travel across the land,
searching far and wide. (dum dum dum)
These Pokemon to understand,
the power that's inside..."

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I have no idea what Pokemon Go is other than it's some silly ass phone game like candy crush that everyone is mad for.

Pretty much.  But people justify playing it in the Holocaust Museum by saying "I wouldn't have come but for the game".

17 minutes ago, Leap said:

How about this thread is reserved for people interested in playing the game and there is another thread for the people that you wouldn't think would want to be in this thread?

The Holocaust museum incident is perhaps better suited to a General Chat thread, in any case.

Agreed. 

And yeah, lately the 3 steps thing has been happening for me too. Haven't had many server issues.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I have no idea what Pokemon Go is other than it's some silly ass phone game like candy crush that everyone is mad for.

Not really, it's basically pokemon but the gyms are actual people and you do the walking yourself to catch pokemon. No need to wait or spend cash at all, or ask for lives from people. 

The only thing in common, is that it's a phone game, but one that encourages people to go for a walk, which i think is great.

Couldn't find a good name for myself that wasn't taken, so I mashed the keyboard in my frustration and ended up with gibberish. I also found out that it's ludicrously difficult to reset your account so I had to create a new google account. *sigh* Haven't caught anything other than my starter yet (Squirtle, of course), but I've got a free day tomorrow.

My friends are mad for this. I'm not a gamer and I don't like to give access to that much data from my phone to a game anyways, so I have passed on it. I do like that it's getting so many people onto the streets, just based on that, it's probably the best videogame in recent years.

2 hours ago, Lord Hanna said:

Not really, it's basically pokemon but the gyms are actual people and you do the walking yourself to catch pokemon. No need to wait or spend cash at all, or ask for lives from people. 

The only thing in common, is that it's a phone game, but one that encourages people to go for a walk, which i think is great.

You don't have to spend money on candy crush. You can just as easily play that one for free. Pokémon Go and Candy Crush share the same business model, since they are both freemium games. The Canadian Devil's rundown of this particular business model was very elucidating, you should check it out

I'm up to Level 10, no money paid so far. What's great is that the parks here have multiple poke stops, so when I went over to two of them the previous two nights they were full of people catching Pokemon and turning the stops into lures. 

Unfortunately, the Pokemon in my area mostly suck. I caught two bulbasaurs in the wild, but they were extremely rare. Most of the pokemon are the crappy trio of Rattata, Pidgey, and Paras. Maybe an occasional rhyhorn or Nidoran. 

[mod] Take the complaints about Pokemon and its players elsewhere, this is not the thread for it. Thank you. [/mod]

I've been enjoying the hell out of the game -- it's fun to wander around the local parks and meet people I might not otherwise interact with. In general I am woeful at video games, but this one offers (for me) the right level of solo goal achievement with a bit of competition. I'm really not a fan of games that are all PvP, nor am I a fan of games that constantly require attention. 

But yeah, if I never see another Rattata or DoDuo again, it'll be too damn soon. :tantrum:

12 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

But yeah, if I never see another Rattata or DoDuo again, it'll be too damn soon. :tantrum:

I could do with a DoDuo, I keep getting Rattatas, Pidgeys, and Weedles, plus a few Magikarp (which are just as useless as ever) if I go to the park with the lake.

I'm just waiting for the latest heatwave to pass, then I'm going to take a walk along the Hudson River on my lunch break and hopefully get some more water-loving critters. Last night I managed to catch a Squirtle and then I got the spinning-wheel-of-doom. ARRRRRRGH.

The advantage of having so many Pidgeys is that you can evolve them quickly. I now have a 450ish Pidgeot installed in a nearby gym.

The local ones have been changing hands quickly this weekend. The one nearest me, less than 2 minutes from home, I managed to take over from the Yellow team, but before I'd even got back home, the Reds had taken it away from me.

I know jack about Pokemon, but I downloaded the game for the kids. (They have to play on my phone) We've been walking around town together.  I like that it gives me a chance to hang with them. We talk about all sorts of stuff while we wander around looking for stuff. It's actually also teaching them how to read a map. 

And yes, I love to see all the people congregating and talking, laughing and high fiving each other. For what it's worth, the news has been so awful lately that we could do with a few more cute imaginary critters.

BTW, one way to quickly rack up XP is to save up a bunch pokemon to evolve, then activate a lucky egg. Lucky eggs double your XP for 30 minutes and between catching Pokemon and evolving the ones I already had, I think I went from Level 9 to 12 in an afternoon. (I evolved so. many. Pidgey. Then traded most of them away.) Also, once you unlock Level 12 you get Great balls, which have a better catch-rate for more-powerful pokemon, although for those with higher than 200CP sometimes you still have to wing 'em a Razzberry first.

5 hours ago, Electric Bass said:

I'm up to Level 10, no money paid so far. What's great is that the parks here have multiple poke stops, so when I went over to two of them the previous two nights they were full of people catching Pokemon and turning the stops into lures. 

Unfortunately, the Pokemon in my area mostly suck. I caught two bulbasaurs in the wild, but they were extremely rare. Most of the pokemon are the crappy trio of Rattata, Pidgey, and Paras. Maybe an occasional rhyhorn or Nidoran. 

I want a paras. I've only seen two and only managed to capture one. Too many Rattatas and Pidgeys yes(and even more Weedles for me)

Best I have is a 256 CP Raticate and a 200 CP Pidgeot. But I'm expecting my next Pidgeot to be higher since my Pidgey already has 104 CP

Was watching TV last night, and a random 414 Gloom appeared. I was only level 9 at the time, so that was weird. Literally have walked over 15KM's in a couple days with the rest of the family, everybody playing. Pretty fun. 

Archived