Pokemon Go

Denvek

Yo! Those of you who are walking a lot -- make sure you're incubating eggs at the same time. You can hatch all kinds of pokemon from those.

I've caught a 500+ Tentacruel and a 400+ Tauros randomly. God knows how... I'm going to level up those fuckers and try to take over a gym soon.

6 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Cock. ;)

I evolved my Eevee and was so surprised when it went to a 900+ Vaporeon. Score! 

The worst is when you walk 5k, hatch an egg and it's a fucking Rattata or Zubat. I cried. Maybe not as much as if it was a pidgey or magicarp (150 candy!) but close.

Hit lvl 10 after the European launch made the servers die for two days. :crying: Sucks when you think "wow, this game ran so much better before it was released..." Yeah.

Lost soo many pokemons during the two days of DOOM. I think I've spent well over 5 hrs just trying to log in over the weekend and mostly it failed. However, still fun when it does work, managed to surprise take-over a gym in town fairly early in the morning (sometimes it is useful with small kids getting up at the crack of dawn, you can respectably be out and about at 8.45 am on Sat morning).

Haven't caught anything great yet, since it's been so crashy it wont register you walking with the eggs and during the weekend the game froze on 80-90% of all catches :( Got a Pidgeot at 618, a Hypno at 572 a Fearow at 412 and that's about it. Can still put up a fight and bring down the prestige on most gyms tho.

Team Mystic has a total lockdown on one of the gyms in town with two Snorlaxes, the highest on freaking 1662 and the second over 1k. :fencing:

12 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

I know jack about Pokemon, but I downloaded the game for the kids. (They have to play on my phone) We've been walking around town together.  I like that it gives me a chance to hang with them. We talk about all sorts of stuff while we wander around looking for stuff. It's actually also teaching them how to read a map. 

And yes, I love to see all the people congregating and talking, laughing and high fiving each other. For what it's worth, the news has been so awful lately that we could do with a few more cute imaginary critters.

I know nothing about Pokemon in general, and next-to-nothing about this game, it's not for me - but I love the sort of thing you're talking about.

This thing gets people (especially kids) out of the house, walking and sometimes even talking to people who are stood next to them. I don't see how that can be a bad thing (though I guess it could be annoying if your home / business has a new and constant crowd of people hanging around outside.

As for your last sentence - I can bring the 2 together with this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36818384

Couple of teens in Florida have been shot at because a homeowner couldn't tell the difference between people playing a game whilst sat in a car, and burglars in his house; and didn't care about asking questions or calling cops.

the technical issues this game has are pretty remarkable given how simple it is

- scaling servers should not be an problem, my guess is they are greedy and don't want to outsource anything to the top line cloud services

- the tracker bug still hasn't been fixed, and it seems like a trivial calculation to code

- item timers counting down during server shutdown periods is straight up theft

There's no point in complaining about seeing the same bad Pokemon over and over again. That's what the games have always been about, because when you get that rare, super strong Pokemon, it makers it all worth while. 

I tried it out when it first hit but it's too repetitive for me and not enough of a game. I "played" the game it's based on - Ingress - for a few days before deleting it for similar reasons.

But as a social phenomenon, I think it's totally cool. I was out and about in a local town at midnight Saturday morning, and there were like 30+ people walking around and hanging out and catching Pokemon and chatting and having a good time together which is just crazy. Nobody is out at that town around midnight usually. It was pretty nifty to see. 

I don't really understand what a Pokemon is.  I missed out on the game when I was a kid because the church said it was the devil or some other such dumbness and I've never been much of a gamer.  But I'm dying to play this game.  It sounds like so much fun.  I have no idea how to acquire the game or even how to play, but as soon as I add some additional data to my mobile plan (planned to do already due to other things), I'm going to watch some sort of tutorial thing and get us all out and about doing pokemon.

Apparently my 5 mile (8km) cycling commute (which takes me between 25-30 minutes) counts as 0.5km for the purposes of hatching eggs. If you plan to try cycling to hatch yours, be careful you don't go too fast.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I don't really understand what a Pokemon is.  I missed out on the game when I was a kid because the church said it was the devil or some other such dumbness and I've never been much of a gamer.  But I'm dying to play this game.  It sounds like so much fun.  I have no idea how to acquire the game or even how to play, but as soon as I add some additional data to my mobile plan (planned to do already due to other things), I'm going to watch some sort of tutorial thing and get us all out and about doing pokemon.

The game's premise is you're a child setting out into the world to enslave creatures and force them to battle their own kind for your personal profit with the backdrop being there was a horrific war that may have killed a generation of people.

I personally loved the game as a kid.

I installed the game after my sons and some other boys I mentor were doing nothing but talking about it a couple weeks ago. Having never played any previous Poekmon games (more a strategy game person), all I knew was "Gotta Catch em All". So for two weeks, all I did was catch the Pokemon I encountered, and stocked up on Pokeballs at Poke stops, and didn't pay any attention to the other stuff I got. I think I was level 3, close to 4.

One of my sons was looking at my phone Saturday, and starts laughing and shows his brother. I had a ridiculous number of Pidgey, and had grabbed some Pokemon they had never seen on their maps, let alone caught. I hadn't transferred, evolved, or powered up anything. They had me up to level 6, almost 7, by the end of the car ride, and had me incubating eggs and taught me what stardust and raspberries are and what they mean, and made sure I joined their tribe, blue.

My Pidgeot has 444 CP, which looks close to the max. Still haven't visited a Poke-gym.

Omg, this game is amazing.  I finally downloaded it last night and checked it out a bit while walking the dog.  Then today, I took the two kids I have right now down to a busy park area and they loved it so much.  We spent hours roaming around looking for stuff.  They'd get so excited every time they found something.  Plus, we discovered some new kid's bookstore and other little shops that I had never seen before.  We also met a couple of other PokeGo players.  Now they are conked out.  I think I know what we'll be doing once or twice a week now.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Omg, this game is amazing.  I finally downloaded it last night and checked it out a bit while walking the dog.  Then today, I took the two kids I have right now down to a busy park area and they loved it so much.  We spent hours roaming around looking for stuff.  They'd get so excited every time they found something.  Plus, we discovered some new kid's bookstore and other little shops that I had never seen before.  We also met a couple of other PokeGo players.  Now they are conked out.  I think I know what we'll be doing once or twice a week now.  

Just a warning, there is a reason people have often referred to Pokemon as "hand crack." 

On 18-7-2016 at 7:29 PM, Tywin et al. said:

The game's premise is you're a child setting out into the world to enslave creatures and force them to battle their own kind for your personal profit with the backdrop being there was a horrific war that may have killed a generation of people.

I personally loved the game as a kid.

:lol:

On 7/18/2016 at 11:37 AM, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

I tried it out when it first hit but it's too repetitive for me and not enough of a game. I "played" the game it's based on - Ingress - for a few days before deleting it for similar reasons.

But as a social phenomenon, I think it's totally cool. I was out and about in a local town at midnight Saturday morning, and there were like 30+ people walking around and hanging out and catching Pokemon and chatting and having a good time together which is just crazy. Nobody is out at that town around midnight usually. It was pretty nifty to see. 

On the other hand I went out to a work happy hour and 8/10 people I was with were playing it at the bar, wouldn't talk about anything but the game, and couldn't be bothered to look up from their phones to have a conversation with anyone around them.  My cousin also nearly killed a group of Pokezombies who just walked into the middle of a busy street w/out looking up at all from their phones.  

So there are definitely two sides to the social phenomenon coin. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hey, they call them masters for a reason. 

Man, I watched one of those stupid WatchMojo top tens (best pokémon battles). With your post in mind, this has become really dark :P 

Archived