Pokemon Go

Denvek

Baita -- never had that happen, so maybe a glitch?

Pokemon play in my life has come to a grinding halt because it's stupidly hot right now, and where I live/work lacks a lot of tree cover. I might do a round of walking when it gets a little lighter outside just before dawn -- I want to hatch a few more eggs even though my last one gave me a goddamned Rattata. 

21 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Swipe left or right to dodge.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Baitac said:

I finally hatched something other than trash. I got a Cubone. I also caught a wild Mankey. One weird thing happened. I received three eggs from a Pokestop. I touched them and they were listed on the top right of the screen. When I went to check on them to start incubating, I only showed one new one, not three. I only had two others incubating so I was nowhere near the 9 max. This has happened to me more than once. Has this happened to any of you? I'm assuming it's a glitch. It's still annoying.

Yes, I assume it's just too many little egg icons appearing when you swipe the pokestop but I'm not certain. 

I have a Cubone too. They look so cute in this game. I've been fairly fortunate with eggs so far, most of what I have hatched has been decent, with only one rats and one pidgey, and they were both from 2k eggs anyway

Walked for 90 minutes around my neighborhood this morning. Hatched 5 eggs. A couple of useful 'mon including Psyduck, but I was mostly looking for stardust. Bastard Pokestops only gave me 2km eggs in return tho. BAH I SAY.

Also caught a few dozen random 'mon, including a rare-for-the-area Machop. I have enough Machop candy to evolve one, but the IVs on my current specimens are not very good so I'm going to hold out. I also nabbed a Ponyta with perfect IVs, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to that after I evolve it. I also took over a gym and installed the first 'mon that came to fingertips (I was just interested in the gym bonus), which ended up being a 200 CP Pigeotto. :lol: GO FOR GLORY TEAM MYSTIC.

OK -- so I evolved my perfect-IV Ponyta, and while I got a very solid Rapidash out of it, the 'mon does not have perfect IVs anymore. It did get a really sweet moveset, though, so maybe there is a correlation. Also, I swear I am never gonna get past Level 22. *big sigh* (in reality only a couple thousand more points to go...but damn this is a slog.)

I was at a party at a private home in a very small neighborhood. I turned the game on an there was a Pikachu. I hit it with the mega balls and caught it 7 times and it still poofed. Whyyyyyy. 22 is never ending. They are toying us.

I'm on 21 and it is going slow, but, that doesn't really get me.  

In my neck of the woods I'm the lone red in a sea of blue and yellow.  I'm getting a feel for the coordination of those two groups and they like to build up big stacks on their gyms.  They do it to protect them.

I just see Exp.  I love leaving my little swathe of destruction, sometimes knocking down all 6 gyms in my area.  I'm not always able to reap the benefits, but then to watch them frantically switch between blue and yellow makes me giggle.  (I kinda feel like Nolan's Joker.)

I also have been trying to farm Stardust like a fiend.  Then using it to beef my assault teams.  It gives me something to do during the exp grind.  I haven't really felt the lack in levels.  There is a level 31 blue player around here and I can regularly knock him out of a gym.

12 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Bastard Pokestops only gave me 2km eggs in return tho. BAH I SAY.

I actually quite like getting 2km eggs.

5km eggs tend to get boring after a while - you tend to have most of the pokemon they can hatch.

2km eggs at least have a very small chance of hatching a pikachu, charmanda, squirtle or bulbasaur, But, more importantly, you can burn through them quite quickly and open up a slot for another chance at a 10km egg. I basically will always prioritise a 10km egg in a blue incubator and a 2km egg in the red one. And as 10km eggs are rare and 2km ones are hatched quickly, I frequently have nothing but boring 5km eggs filling my inventory.

I finally went to Silphroad's IV algorithm of Jesus place. All of my high cp ones are solid, except for all of my evee evolves! Even my 1432 Vaporeon. I was very disappointed about that. Today I caught a wild Grimer and weak Clefairy at my Dad's. Trudging along at about 38k on level 22. Also, the 715 Grimer has perfect IV. Proud of that mound of poo.

One of my Nidorans has an A+D IV of negative one! Now that is humiliating.

If it's any consolation, Evee's are fairly easily replaced (quite common and only need 25 candies to evolve into something quite powerful). So check your future Evee's and just evolve ones with good IVs. You'll get another Vaporeon soon enough.

Even if it's high IV but fairly low CP, it might be worth keeping and powering up.

11 hours ago, Baitac said:

I finally went to Silphroad's IV algorithm of Jesus place. All of my high cp ones are solid, except for all of my evee evolves! Even my 1432 Vaporeon. I was very disappointed about that. Today I caught a wild Grimer and weak Clefairy at my Dad's. Trudging along at about 38k on level 22. Also, the 715 Grimer has perfect IV. Proud of that mound of poo.

One of my Nidorans has an A+D IV of negative one! Now that is humiliating.

I will say having one of each for the varied attacks make it worth it, especially early on.  There isn't THAT great of Variance.  Afterwards you can save up and catch more and be more picky.  It worked well for me.

Two Poke-stories from the weekend.

First, I came home Friday a bit early to find four thirteen year old boys looking up and singing sea shanty's and giggling maniacally. They'd been to the pool earlier in the heat of the day, had played their PS4 games briefly, but madness was setting in. My sons asked to go on a gym raid to help put their buddy Richie into a few gyms to help him level up. A five-man team on a raid run where four are over level 20 is a fun experience. We figured out early to put a punching bag Pokemon into the gym to beat it up to raise the prestige. Since I was the allegedly responsible adult, I took that hit. 7 gyms in just over an hour, and one of them even lasted long enough to get paid twice.

Second, I am the father of twins. It is a running joke in the house that twin 2 is lucky in a very statistically unlikely way. If Crazy Uncle John gives each kid a handful of scratch off lottery tickets for their birthday, twin 2 will get a $100 winner and twin 1 will get bupkus. We will have twin 2 put auction tickets into the charity raffles, he's won a bike, lacrosse stick, shirts... anything where luck is a factor he's got the touch. We were driving home from the mall Sunday and hit three "nests" in the course of the drive. Twin 2 got a 1000+ CP Weepingbell, twin 1 got 240 CP. Same with a Pinsir on the same trip. Twin 1 was despondent.

Had to have a father son chat with twin 1 later in the day, luck is just statistics and it all works out in the end, etc. Some weird ass life lessons coming out of Pokemon. He also complained that he had only ever gotten one 10KM egg. I had three in inventory (and had hatched a Hitmonlee that weekend). His struggle is real.

A question for American players: Have you noticed your eggs actually taking miles to hatch, instead of km's?

Walking around my office building, I get .3km  I was sure this was too little, so I tracked it in my car, and it was .3 mile.  (just a car distance from the sidewalk)

So I checked around our block, which is 1/2 mile, and yep, it tracked .5km

eta:  it has been too hot to walk more than that

Distance tracking is not reliable, especially if you are not moving in a straight line. It's not a step counter, it's really just looking at the distance between point A and point B, and that will be affected by things like GPS margin of error and general backend coding shittiness. I've found that the game will put my avatar blocks away from where I'm actually sitting at my desk, which means I could walk a 0.5 a mile to cover the circuit, but the game will think I've essentially been sitting still. 

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Distance tracking is not reliable, especially if you are not moving in a straight line. It's not a step counter, it's really just looking at the distance between point A and point B, and that will be affected by things like GPS margin of error and general backend coding shittiness. I've found that the game will put my avatar blocks away from where I'm actually sitting at my desk, which means I could walk a 0.5 a mile to cover the circuit, but the game will think I've essentially been sitting still. 

Yep. And by the same token, I've noticed that if I leave the game running while sitting at my desk, my avatar will wander around the block and I can sometimes get as much as a kilometer or two per day by just sitting at my desk while working.

ok, thanks for the info.

I have tried seeing how low I can drive and see if it counts it...sometimes it does (like at 10mph, in my neighborhood)

Almost to level 20.  I have all 3 of Eevie's evelutions, and now have 2 mons over 1000cp, Weezing, which I caught, and Jolteon. Total of 68 different ones (but over 500 caught)

I may finally be up to trying a battle :) 

Archived