Pokemon Go

Denvek

After explicitly calling him out, Muk has suddenly appeared a few times for me. Someone must have shaken up the spreadsheet, I'm seeing Muk, Rhyhorn and the Bulbasaur/Charizard/Squirtle trio a bit more often, along with a very occasional Abra, Shellder and Drowzee. Still no joy on Geodude, Omanyte or Dratini.

Shuffling along.

The new update is supposedly propagating through the various channels, although it hasn't updated on my phone. From discussions/screenshots of people who updated via APKmirror, Buddy system looks good, and there are a few more bells and whistles in there. One major source of angst is that PoGo won't work on rooted phones anymore. This is to combat the 'bots/spoofers that have been cheating their way to level 40 with eight Snorlax and ten Lapras apiece. As such, if anyone here has a rooted phone, you might want to look into workarounds before updating. (There are threads on the SilphRoad Reddit that discuss options.) If you don't know what a rooted phone is, then chances are extremely high that your phone is not rooted. ;)

On 9/9/2016 at 6:22 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

That shriek you heard at 8:30 EDT was me after a 1454 CP Charizard spawned down the street from my apartment, and when I tried to catch it the bastard ran away.

I had a similar situation Saturday with a Venusaur. I burned about 10 ultra balls and still failed.

But it was mostly positive. Hit 116 in the Pokedex, adding Dugtrio, Hypno, Poliwrath and Kadabra. The Drowzees were popping in Ocean City. I can see Cubone, Shellder and Voltorb all evolving in the next week, and I'm up to 319 Magikarp candy. I'm going to need the buddy system for most of the others.

Nice one. I got some good catches as well, but holy gods I was so mad about that Charizard. I threw Razzberries and Ultraballs at it, all for naught.

With my next evolution, I should hit 115 with Venusaur, Nidoking, Primeape, and whatever Shellder turns into. I'm very close to a Wigglytuff and Gengar evolution as well, but still have a long ways to go with Magikarp. 

I have updated, but I'm not seeing any new features (but the graphics seem sharper, or maybe I have few fingerprint smudges)  I'm an idiot.  The buddy option is under your player, not under the pokemons

I am level 22, almost 23, have caught 87 pokemon (most my high CP's are named after ASoIaF characters :lol: My faborite is my eggsecutor  Ilyn Payne (ok, I enjoy puns) and I have been supporting or leading a local gym for almost a week.  I've been paid 6 times (4 different 'mons).  It is a small gym that keeps changing hands.  Looks like just me and one other Yellow Team member are hitting it, so we're not likely to get above level 3 :( 

Seconding the love for Ilyn Payne. Bravo Lany.

Hatched a Squirtle today from a 2k egg. Nice surprise since all I've got previously is pidgeys and rats. I'm 4 Squirtle candies from a wartortle. 

Not updated yet however. How often do you get a candy from your "buddy"?

3 hours ago, Leap said:

I have the update now, though it took me a few attempts to get my buddy as my phone is crashing almost constantly tonight - guess the servers must be pretty busy right now. I chose my growlithe (Huan) as my buddy, because I'll probably be able to get an Arcanine over the next day or two now. Awesome! 

This is actually the best Pokemon Go related thing I've seen tonight, despite the update coming out. :bowdown:

3 hours ago, Leap said:

I have the update now, though it took me a few attempts to get my buddy as my phone is crashing almost constantly tonight - guess the servers must be pretty busy right now. I chose my growlithe (Huan) as my buddy, because I'll probably be able to get an Arcanine over the next day or two now. Awesome! 

This is actually the best Pokemon Go related thing I've seen tonight, despite the update coming out. :bowdown:

52 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Seconding the love for Ilyn Payne. Bravo Lany.

Hatched a Squirtle today from a 2k egg. Nice surprise since all I've got previously is pidgeys and rats. I'm 4 Squirtle candies from a wartortle. 

Not updated yet however. How often do you get a candy from your "buddy"?

:) 

It depends on the type, but I think every 5 or 10km? I was reading something about it earlier, but I really just wanted to know how to get my buddy, so I didn't pay attention

Yeah, it's every 1km, 3km or 5km, depending on the Pokemon.

Which means I'm "only" 60 candies or 180 kms away from my Charizard. :P

Very close to level 28 here (about 7,000 XP away) with 134 in my Pokedex. The Buddy system basically means the only one I need to find/catch is a Porygon now. The other ones I need can be obtained through getting candies from walking and evolving the basic versions (eventually). Excluding the regionals, of course.

Finally got the update! For lulz I put my Magikarp in there for now. But I'll probably walk my Vulpix or Jigglypuff. Or walk one of my evolved 'mons for which I only have a few units of candy to prepare for the epic power-up I'll start once I'm level 26 or so. I'm just about to break level 25.

12 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Finally got the update! For lulz I put my Magikarp in there for now. But I'll probably walk my Vulpix or Jigglypuff. Or walk one of my evolved 'mons for which I only have a few units of candy to prepare for the epic power-up I'll start once I'm level 26 or so. I'm just about to break level 25.

So I have a couple 'mons that are 5 candies away from an evolution. I figure if I get one candy for each of them, then I will only need one more capture of a wild one to get the evolution, rather than two captures (since you get 3 candies for a capture and 1 for a transfer to the professor's pokemon smoothie machine).

So for now, Voltorb is my co-pilot.

7 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Oh yes, and Silph Road has a handy reference list for kilometers per candy for each pokemon species. https://thesilphroad.com/research and click on the Buddies tab.

Very helpful, thanks for the link. 

App updatd today, already have a Clefable thanks to the buddy feature (farmed two candies). 

I also took a gym using just my Vaporeon. Very pleased by that

My son and I had a good night of hunting last night after his practice was cancelled. We went up to the Ocean City boardwalk. He got the Dratini he needed to let him evolve Dragonite.

Meanwhile, I hatched a Growlithe, which gave me enough to evolve an Arcanine. And the buddy system has me two candies away for Cubone and Shellder, and 4 for Voltorb. That will bring me to 120. Koffing and Kabuto need about 15 each, and after that everything is either 25 away, or 80 away, or hoping to be hatched.

OK, Niantic, time to make a move to keep me involved. The Buddy system bought you 2 weeks as I trudge out the small handful of mons that were close to evolving. But I'll never walk the 240 kilometers I need to evolve Gengar or Alakazam, and the ultimates of the basic 4. That's 240 km each! My calves would be sculpted.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I'd soon hit a natural ceiling of about 120-125 Pokemon captured, and as a collector type player, I was nearing game's end. The buddy system is accelerating a handful of those pokedex entries, but it is not new game content, in fact it is hastening the end. The battling type players seem like they are already bored and have moved on. The "find a perfect IV" folks seem like they still have a brass ring to chase, but that's a small subset.

The three legendaries are still on the shelf, along with the plot devices. I'm assuming a pre-holidays date for Gen 2, if then. So it's either the event with the legendaries, or trading mons, or PvP batling, if they want to keep the addiction rolling.

Archived